SASS Wire Forum

Of Viands and Victuals

Subdeacon Joe

Breakfast Egg Muffins

Mrs. Lose bought me a couple of bacon, Gruyère cheese egg bites from Starbucks one day when we were on a trip and I thought they were okay. She brought some frozen ones home from Costco and they were okay but kind of bland. Looking through Pinterest last week I came across some recipes for the egg bites or muffins and this morning I tried a couple of them out with some adjustments of my own.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray your muffin tins with Pam or non stick spray oil.

1/2 cup cooked crumbled sausage

2 seeded chopped jalapeño peppers

1- onion finely chopped

1/4 red bell pepper chopped

1 tbsp finely chopped garlic

Sauté the vegetables, not to soft.

8- large eggs

1/3 cup plain yogurt

8 ounces shredded Jack/cheddar blend cheese

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp cayenne pepper (I like things spicey)

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp seasoned salt

Beat eggs, yogurt, cheese and spices with a fork until we’ll blended.

Spoon a portion of sausage in each muffin cup

Spoon a portion of the sautéed vegetable mixture into each muffin cup

Pour egg mixture into muffin cups. Don’t over fill!! About 3/4 full is what you want because the egg mixture will expand

With a fork mix the egg mixture in the muffin cup with the other ingredients, add more egg mixture if you need to.

Sprinkle some more shredded cheese on top of each filled muffin cup.

Place the filled muffin trays in the oven and set timer to 25 minutes.

They will brown just a bit if you don’t like the browning cut the time to 20 minutes and see what happens, I like them browned.

Remove  from oven and let them cool as they are much easier to remove from the muffin cups if they cool and firm up.

Enjoy.

I’m freezing some of them for breakfast later on and to reheat I wrap in a paper towel and microwave for 90 seconds, sometimes it takes a little longer.

8384CF19-3675-4D2E-9FFD-37F23A4BA451.jpeg

88F85F91-70F9-4096-82A8-3ECEBE5804CB.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Spinach and Mushroom Egg Muffins

I tried this one this morning and in my opinion they are the best ones yet.

Heat oven to 375 degrees and spray muffin tins with non stick oil like Pam.

2 cups fresh spinach

1 cup chopped mush rooms

1/2 finely diced red pepper

1 bunch green onions finely diced

Sauté the spinach in olive oil,  I like it to have  a little firmness and crunch so I don’t cook it too long. 
Sauté mushrooms, onion, and pepper in olive oil until onions are soft.

8 large eggs

1/3 cup plain yogurt

1/4 cup smoked Gouda cheese finely minced

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 tsp dried rosemary

Combine the eggs, cheese and yogurt in a mixing bowl along with the spices and beat until well blended with a fork.

Add sautéed spinach and mushroom mixture to the egg mixture and stir. 

Using a soup ladle, ladle mixture into muffin cups, about 3/4 full works well.

Stick the filled muffin tins in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. The mixture will swell as they bake. 

Remove from oven and let sit for about 15 minutes so they’ll firm up, much easier to remove from the muffin cups.

Enjoy.

Freeze leftover egg muffins in ziplock bags and reheat in the microwave wrapped in a paper towel for 90 seconds or until hot inside.

D84C6A36-B775-4A93-AF48-DC09181AF3A5.jpeg

F1865A55-0377-4817-9760-6917414EA34E.jpeg

• Thanks 2

On 5/11/2023 at 6:49 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Culinary Genius!

So many possibilities with this.

FB_IMG_1683848880910.jpg

I've looked at this picture a bit, and it looks like it would be quite messy.

If I'm interpreting the picture correctly, they took a hard boiled egg and sliced it lengthwise, and used the two halves of the egg as the "bread" in the sandwich.

When you try to hold on to that sandwich it seems like your hands would just squish right in through the egg white, and the whole thing would fall apart.

30 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I've looked at this picture a bit, and it looks like it would be quite messy.

If I'm interpreting the picture correctly, they took a hard boiled egg and sliced it lengthwise, and used the two halves of the egg as the "bread" in the sandwich.

When you try to hold on to that sandwich it seems like your hands would just squish right in through the egg white, and the whole thing would fall apart.

No more so than a deviled egg. It's not going to have to hold together but for two or three bites.

Pick it up by the smaller end, so you have hold of the firmest part, first bite takes all, or most, of the yolk pocket.

Also, the filling will add some structure to it.

10 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I found a nee recipe for breaded scallops using bay scallops,  Italian style bread crumbs, butter, an egg and olive oil.

Don't bother.  I nearly ruined the scallops and wasted the other ingredients.

Was it similar to https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/257451/breaded-and-fried-scallops/

1 cup Italian-season bread crumbs, or more to taste

salt and ground black pepper to taste

1 egg

½ cup bay scallops, or more to taste

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice

Directions
Mix bread crumbs, salt, and pepper in a resealable plastic bag.

Whisk egg lightly in a bowl. Dip scallops in egg; place in the bread crumb mixture in the bag. Seal bag and shake until scallops are coated with bread crumbs.

Bring butter, olive oil, and lemon juice to a simmer in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add breaded scallops; cook, shaking skillet occasionally, until browned, 6 to 7 minutes.

And if so, was it the receipt or your technique?

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

About Subdeacon Joe's southern cooking video:  that young woman knows.  She's been raised right.  But it isn't a 'great amount.'  It's a 'fair amount' or, more properly ( in SC anyway) 'right much.'

Most of mama's recipes weren't.  They were just a list of ingredients.  We season until the ghosts of our ancestors whisper 'that's enough, child.'

• Like 1

Here's one for @Alpo

Ground Rice Pudding.-(No. 107.)

Put four ounces of ground Rice into a stewpan, and by degrees stir in a pint and a half of Milk, set it on the fire, with a roll of Lemon and a bit of Cinnamon, keep stirring it till it boils-beat it to a smooth Batter then set it on the trivet, where it will simmer gently for a quarter of an hour;-then beat three Eggs on a plate, stir them into the pudding with two ounces of Sugar, and two drams of Nutmeg - take out the Lemon Peel and Cinnamon-stir it all well together, line a pie dish with thin Puff paste (No. 1 of Receipts for Pastry), big enough to hold it, or Butter the Dish well, and bake it half an hour-if boiled, it will take one hour in a mould well buttered-three ounces of Currants may be added.

(This reads to me as similar in texture to a quiche and is a possible concept for savory dish, cut back sugar, add herbs, aromatics, and diced meat)

Here’s a tip that I learned in Culinary School.

We all need containers for small quantities of things, leftovers, ingredients for future use, etc, things like Tupperware. The problems with Tupperware and the like is you can never find matching lids and you don’t want to leave them behind at a potluck.

Solution: deli containers. 8, 16, and 32 oz. They all use the same size lid. They are cheap, usually less than 50¢Pr. If you take something somewhere you don’t worry about leaving them behind. If you want 2qt, you need something else but that is no longer an issue for me.

if you decide to do this go to Amazon and choose the different sizes from the same company to insure compatibility. There are also 12 and 24 oz sizes but I don’t find those to be needed.

if frozen they can be brittle but minimal care will prevent breakage.

• Thanks 3

I read this, and I thought, "heck, Ziploc containers are only about 50 cents each".

First - not anymore. Been a major price increase in the last few years.

Second - the deli containers say things like "72 sets". That's a container and a lid - a set. 144 pieces. Ziploc says "24 pieces". That's 12 containers and 12 lids - 12 sets. Sneaky.

And of course the different size ziplocs use different size lids.

• Like 1

My second batch of

Double Chocolate Bread
3 cups All purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry active yeast
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbs warm water
1 cup chocolate chunks
INSTRUCTIONS
 In a large bowl mix together the flour, yeast, salt, cocoa, sugar, chocolate and chunks. Pour in warm water and throughly mix using your hands or a wooden spoon. Dough should sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rest for 3-5 hours.
You want the mixture to double in size and start to have small bubbles on the top. You can let this sit on the counter for up to 18 hours.

Once you are ready to start baking, place a dutch oven in an oven preheated to 450F. Let the dutch oven pre heat for 30-40 minutes. While the oven is heating, flour a flat surface and your hands and then remove the dough from the bowl. Fold the dough over itself 4 times. From there, use your hands to form into a tight ball.

Place a piece of parchment paper into your bowl and then gently drop in the dough ball. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 20 minutes

Once your dutch oven is screaming hot, CAREFULLY remove from the oven, remove the lid and drop the parchment paper and dough ball into the dutch oven. Using a sharp knife, slice the top of the dough to allow steam to release. Place cover back onto dutch oven and bake for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes of baking, remove top of the dutch oven and allow bread to bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the loaf is a beautiful golden brown.

Remove from oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes, then slice , smear on some Nutella and enjoy!!! Well done, Chef!!

Receipt from: https://theeastcoastkitchen.com/no-knead-double-chocolate-bread/

First batch I made with espresso chips since I didn't have chocolate chips.  Today I used a mix of the last of the bag of espresso chips and enough Dark Chocolate chips to make up the amount called for.

No Nutella, but butter works just fine.  So does orange marmalade.  Cherry preserves would be nice on it.

I may have to get some dried cherries to put in the next batch.

IMG_20230526_131824355.thumb.jpg.7581ac461d0489772974292bcc39be78.jpg

IMG_20230526_132147730.thumb.jpg.e6e1a4bef95bff7ed7b199e1d6ece8a4.jpg

• Like 1

You have two different ovens in that recipe, so I'm confused.

You put the Dutch oven into the range oven and let it get hot. You put the bread dough in the Dutch oven. Now the confusion.

You leave it in the oven and let it bake. The hot Dutch oven? Just let it sit there and cook in the hot Dutch oven as the hot Dutch oven cools down? Or does the hot Dutch oven go back inside the range oven?

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You put the Dutch oven into the range oven and let it get hot. You put the bread dough in the Dutch oven. Now the confusion

"Once you are ready to start baking, place a dutch oven in an oven preheated to 450F. "

You heat the Dutch Oven in the oven in which you will do the baking.  No confusion.   I put the Dutch Oven in the cold kitchen oven and let it heat up along with the oven.  Then did the folding and forming the dough and put it on the parchment.

Pull the Dutch Oven out of the kitchen oven, remove the lid, place the parchment paper with the dough on it, slash the top of the dough (both times I forgot to do it until about 10 minutes into the baking), replace the lid on the Dutch Oven, place the Dutch Oven with the parchment paper and dough back in the kitchen oven.

I don't get where you saw heating the Dutch Oven on the stove.  It doesn't say that anywhere in the receipt.

• Like 1

I never said nothing about a stove. A stove is the top piece with the burners. I said range. The range is the whole thing - the stove and the oven. And I said range oven every time I said it.:P

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I never said nothing about a stove. A stove is the top piece with the burners. I said range. The range is the whole thing - the stove and the oven. And I said range oven every time I said it.:P

OK, thanks.  I misread it as "onto the range." Even so, it doesn't say to turn off the kitchen (range) oven.

I'm still confused about your confusion.  To me the receipt is very clear.  Might be because I read so many.  

It's Alpo.....nuff said....:P

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

It's Alpo.....nuff said....:P

I'll give you that he overthinks things, but I just plain misread what he wrote. 

I think because I was trying to figure out how he got to just letting the dough sit in the heated Dutch Oven and cook in the residual heat.

• Like 1

About “baby carrots”. It’s really a misnomer.

when plucked from the ground about half the crop is the straight carrots that we in the USA are accustomed to. The rest are misshapen and sent for further processing, often ending up in packages of frozen food or soup. Many end up in those one or two pound packages of “baby carrots” after they’ve been chopped and ground into eye pleasing shapes. You will likely never see true baby carrots but if you do, they have not been peeled and trimmed and they will be pricey.

elsewhere in the world, such as Russia, such misshapen carrots are sold in the supermarket, often with mud still attached, never such in hoitytoity Moscow, where the mud will have been washed off.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

elsewhere in the world, such as Russia, such misshapen carrots are sold in the supermarket, often with mud still attached,

A huge amount of our produce is unmarketable due to government size regulations.  And even more is considered unmarketable by big supermarket chains because it's not pretty enough.  We've gotten very spoiled about what we are willing to buy in our stores.

For a while we were buying from one of the outfits that delivers off-size, blemished, relabeled (company changed the look of the label), and otherwise unable to be sold in stores.  Not damaged or spoiled, just not quite suitable for market or restaurant.  Only reason we stopped was we started getting too many missed items and items that didn't live up to the descriptions....most often in things like shallots, onions, and beets.  

"

Menu from Jones House. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in 1862. In continuing with the Civil War theme for the day, this was during the second year of the war. 

The menu and date are from the University of Houston and can be found at the link below.
1850s and 1860s Hotel and Restaurant Menus
Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management Hospitality Industry Archives. 
https://id.lib.uh.edu/ark:/84475/do5255z7610

FB_IMG_1685728076693.jpg

"

Breakfast Menu from Barnum’s Hotel. Baltimore, Maryland in 1863. In continuing with the Civil War theme for the day, this was during the third year of the war. 

The menu and date are from the University of Houston and can be found at the link below.
1850s and 1860s Hotel and Restaurant Menus
Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management Hospitality Industry Archives. 
https://id.lib.uh.edu/ark:/84475/do37203z950

FB_IMG_1685729865516.jpg

I love the way the Jones House spells coleslaw.

I have never heard of grape pie. Raisin pie, yes. But not grape.

I noticed Barnum's will sell you some stale bread. Why would you want stale bread?

And on the subject of bread - what is dip toast? Never heard the term. Dry toast would be just toasted bread - no butter no jam. But dip toast?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I love the way the Jones House spells coleslaw.

I have never heard of grape pie. Raisin pie, yes. But not grape.

I noticed Barnum's will sell you some stale bread. Why would you want stale bread?

And on the subject of bread - what is dip toast? Never heard the term. Dry toast would be just toasted bread - no butter no jam. But dip toast?

Per Merriam Webster:

: toast drenched with milk, cream, or melted butter
LL
  • Thanks 1