SASS Wire Forum

Here, let me pay you to advertise for you…

Pat Riot

Back in 84, I ordered a new Ford truck. They added a $500 advertising charge. I refused as they didn't advertise squat, I just walked in and ordered it. When it arrived, I also made them remove the dealer decal and plate ring unless they wanted to pay me for the advertising. They took care of it!

Meh... I have enough things to be obsessive over. So I wear a tee that says Beretta on it, because I happen to like Beretta firearms, or my wife wears one that says Subaru because she likes Subarus. Is it "advertising" for the brand? If so, I doubt it's working too well. I see people in Harley Davidson apparel around here all the time. From shirts, jackets, hats and more to Ford trucks, and you name it. If I were to ever buy a motorcycle, it would certainly not be a Harley. I see lots of Glock and Sig logo stickers on the back of vehicle windows. Hasn't caused me to run out to buy either yet. My most recent purchase was a Taurus GX4 after checking out a P365 and a Hellcat. So much for the advertising. I have shirts with the Brooks Bros. logo on them. Most people don't even know what it is. So much for that advertising.

I do wear a lot of tees from 5Ks I've run, or other events I've participated in, but I think that is a bit different.

At the end of the day, I've got bigger and better (or is that worse?) things to spend my time bit griping about.

4 hours ago, DocWard said:

At the end of the day, I've got bigger and better (or is that worse?) things to spend my time bit griping about.

Like responding to tell us how much you don’t care? :lol::lol::lol:

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Like responding to tell us how much you don’t care? :lol::lol::lol:

Hmmmm... Not once did I say I didn't care. I said I had enough things to be obsessive over. I said if it is advertising it isn't working very well. I even said I had bigger and better things to gripe about. But, I did care enough about the conversation to partake in it and add my thoughts. But, I guess I will be more careful of whom and which threads I choose to waste my time on in the future. After all, heaven knows I wouldn't want someone else to get a mistaken impression about me.

I only wear gun or ammo companies shirts and hats. I do wear Cleveland Indians gear but they are now the Guardians and I refuse to advertise that!

I do have this one though!

IMG_2919.jpg

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I only wear gun or ammo companies shirts and hats. I do wear Cleveland Indians gear but they are now the Guardians and I refuse to advertise that!

I do have this one though!

IMG_2919.jpg

Question for you Rye: what would be the response if you wore an Indians shirt or hat to the stadium these days? 

18 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Question for you Rye: what would be the response if you wore an Indians shirt or hat to the stadium these days? 

I don't think anyone would say anyhting, I see lots of fans in the stands with Indians gear! They haven't outlawed wearing it and I don't think they would if they're smart!

My son went to a game with 3 friends and they all had Indians stuff on and he said they got nothing but thumbs up responses!;)

On the Harley thing Pat referenced, I find biker culture, having grown up in it to a lesser degree, much like the redneck culture I grew up into at a full extent. There’s this abnormal brotherhood in both built around generally ignorant and adolescent ideals reinforced by a pack mentality and represented by, not virtues, but machines that somehow stir their spirits and acts of foolish bravado that elevate their status within the recesses of their own imaginations. 

I believe that for a lot of people that wear Logo T-shirts is pride of ownership. That's why you never see anyone wearing a Hi-Point T-shirt.

Back when Ellie and I were touring the country on our Harley, we would buy an expensive tee shirt at every dealer we were near. We thought of them as a souvenir of sorts. We enjoyed the interaction with folks that were amazed at some of the places we had been. Some of the shirts have pretty cool logos for the dealer ship and some even have collector value. I once sold a Hartford Harley shirt right off my back for 50 bucks to a stranger that wanted it for his collection. I had 3 new ones in my tour pack, so no issue! Never wore them to feel part of some pack. Still wear them today and we haven't toured in 16 years.

Wearing conspicuously brand marked products has become a status thing for many people. Nike, Givenchy, etc.

I don’t really care. I don’t think like car dealer stickers though. Just because of the aesthetics.

Nu you can’t do much about the big FORD, DODGE, etc emblems. Nobody seems to mind those. ;)

I took my car to the dealer, for the hopefully last time, and the service clerk/jerk, while he was looking my name up in their records asked if I bought the car from their dealership because I don't have their license plate ring.  I told him, yes I did buy the car from his employer and no I don't have their license plate ring on because they don't pay me to advertise for them.  His eyes widened and he starred at his keyboard, looking up my information.  I don't wear anyone's logo apparel, shirts, hats, jackets unless it is my employer or a product I like or support. Not my style.   Heck fire, I didn't even wear my MAGA hat but I have one.  To controversial

and I don't need peoples opinions.  I like to fly low, under the radar. I even cut the Carhart logos off my jackets and bibs.  They aren't a thing of beauty. 

Archived