SASS Wire Forum

NEED HELP WITH A SCREW

Judge Gardner

I have a hex head screw that the head is striped out, the size of the screw is #4 or 6 also it is recessed. What  is the best way to get it out?

Some times I have been successful by taking my dremel tool with a cut off wheel on it and cutting a straight slot in the screw head and then using a straight slot screw driver to remove the screw.  Sometimes the dremel will mar the area surrounding the screw but that has to be weighed against the necessity of removing the screw.  Good luck.

If any of the head is above the surface, you grab it with dikes and remove it. You might also be able to Tig weld another screw to it. Care is key. Hex/Allen screws are usually hard.

A jeweler can hand engrave a clean slot or torx socket for you without marring the surrounding.  Call first--especially if it's a firearm that you're talking about needing help with.  Jewelers generally don't like to see firearms come walking through the door.  

I've TIG welded a smaller size hard bolt onto a stuck screw before.  The irony is that the welding heat usually released the screw - even without the new appendage.  So, unless it is surrounded by wood,  try gentle heat from a heat gun first.  If it is locktited in, or epoxied in, the heat will release it. 

But make sure the heat won't cause discoloration.  Try an obscure spot first.  And make sure it isn't a painted gun surface.  

Is the stripped, recessed hex an Allen screw?  If so, grind a bit off of your Allen Wrench tip to get very clean hex edges.  Keep the grinding heat cooled by dipping in water or cutting oil  frequently. 

Finally, if it's a stuck screw on a $130,000 Purdy Double Shotgun or a Holland and Holland .416 Rigby double rifle, don't even think about messing with any of the above.  Just take it to a real good Smith.  (and watch them get jittery!)

Use a engraving tool.I've had luck by putting the point on the edgelet it dig in .The vibration usually helps break it loose.

Largo

If you decide to cut a slot in it - if possible, chuck up the screwdriver bit in a drill press. you can apply a buttox load of pressure to the screw with much less chance of slippage.

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Those look handy

4 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The OP stated the screw size was either a 4 or 6.

Those bits won't fit....

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Those look handy

I bought a full set for work years ago to keep in the shop for everyone to use , if they don’t work you were going to have to drill the head off anyway 

Archived