SASS Wire Forum

Outlaw Jesse James Last Pistol

PowderRiverCowboy

According to legend, James Dobson, a local LEO in Prescott, AZ during the late 1800s used a short-barrel Colt that had come from Jesse. The story is a little hazy so I don't know if it came to Dodson via his sister or Jesse's sister. I have read it both ways.

Known fact although it seems sketchy....Jesse's mother would sell his pistols over and over....She had family members buying up guns that could have been Jesse's , period correct and such, and she resold them as genuine artifacts to the tourists!!

Just wondering how many revolvers there are out there that are “one of Jesse James guns”? Or Bob Dalton’s, or Billy the Kid’s or Cole Younger’s…

I have personally encountered 3 different people that have Bob Dalton’s gun from Coffeeville KS where he died. Supposedly, Bob Dalton carried 2 Colt’s that day. 

Not saying the guy in the video doesn’t have Jesse James’ gun. I am just saying that I take all these proclamations with a grain of salt. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Known fact although it seems sketchy....Jesse's mother would sell his pistols over and over....She had family members buying up guns that could have been Jesse's , period correct and such, and she resold them as genuine artifacts to the tourists!!

Wait - fact but sketchy - LOL Are you watch political ad's again :)

A gun that is claimed to have historical signifcance that lacks provennce is just a gun.  It is true that Bat Masterson had so many people asking about the guns he used before moving to New York City that he purchased guns at local pawn shops and sold them.  99.9% of items sold marked Wells Fargo are fake.  As a useless bit of trivia it was a custom in the 19th Century for fans to ask for locks of hair from famous people.  The composer Franz Liszt had so many requests for locks of hair that he bought a big furry dog and sent clippings from the dog.

I just couldn’t watch the whole thing.

Archived