Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Thaco Thursday


Recommended Posts

Carrramba! :wub:

43EA6C22-D06E-4E01-BFBC-C211648D2AA0.jpeg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Suddenly my reactions take. What do you know. UB that meal looks awesome. With that kind of cooking I wish I could come for a visit lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't this Wednesday?

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Lov'n d'blade....

OLG

I ain't never seen one like that with a lock back there. All of the Italian style that I've seen, you pull down on the guard to unlock the blade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Isn't this Wednesday?

I ain't never seen one like that with a lock back there. All of the Italian style that I've seen, you pull down on the guard to unlock the blade.

The ones I have like that came from South America. 

OLG 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HOWDY OLG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Lov'n d'blade....

OLG

Yeah, me too, but there is really nothing to use the knife for in that meal. However, he may have invited some Jets and Sharks over for dinner......then, all bet are off.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Alpo said:

Isn't this Wednesday?

I ain't never seen one like that with a lock back there. All of the Italian style that I've seen, you pull down on the guard to unlock the blade.

It’s German. 60s vintage.

Edited by Utah Bob #35998
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Yeah, me too, but there is really nothing to use the knife for in that meal. However, he may have invited some Jets and Sharks over for dinner......then, all bet are off.

Semper Paratus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have one with the guard lock, but I prefer my side lever lock knife.  It's faster, safer, and is a true one handed knife.  The other one takes two hands to close it and I don't much care for the wing guards.  They snag in the pocket of my skin tight blue jeans.  Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have one with the guard lock, but I prefer my side lever lock knife.  It's faster, safer, and is a true one handed knife.  The other one takes two hands to close it and I don't much care for the wing guards.  They snag in the pocket of my skin tight blue jeans.  Oh, Lord, it's hard to be humble.

This is the only one I have of this type. I don’t carry this one. It stays on the bar as a display.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Several years ago I was reading an article on folding knives for self-defense. It talked about switchblades. It said they were a bad idea. They would let you down when you needed it. The mechanism was flimsy.

 

This is a hubertus lever lock. From everything I've heard, it is an extremely good knife.

1216224715_IMG_20220310_1307457182.thumb.jpg.b4442b1aeb40fd513750d08807d76f20.jpg

 

I opened it one day and I noticed, as I heard a melodic ping, that the blade went too far past.

 

1111109259_IMG_20220310_1308321992.thumb.jpg.179786c4382d3f1f188f3ea7713b9bb1.jpg


The spring broke. That was the ping - the piece of spring bouncing off the floor.

 

1874824412_IMG_20220310_1308087822.thumb.jpg.f8441fd08d6f69dfe15f3bb43a5dee15.jpg

 

 

I will probably have another switchblade, sometime. I will probably even get this one fixed. But I most certainly would not carry a switchblade for self defense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read a couple posts before I realized there was no d20 involved

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Several years ago I was reading an article on folding knives for self-defense. It talked about switchblades. It said they were a bad idea. They would let you down when you needed it. The mechanism was flimsy.

 

This is a hubertus lever lock. From everything I've heard, it is an extremely good knife.

1216224715_IMG_20220310_1307457182.thumb.jpg.b4442b1aeb40fd513750d08807d76f20.jpg

 

I opened it one day and I noticed, as I heard a melodic ping, that the blade went too far past.

 

1111109259_IMG_20220310_1308321992.thumb.jpg.179786c4382d3f1f188f3ea7713b9bb1.jpg


The spring broke. That was the ping - the piece of spring bouncing off the floor.

 

1874824412_IMG_20220310_1308087822.thumb.jpg.f8441fd08d6f69dfe15f3bb43a5dee15.jpg

 

 

I will probably have another switchblade, sometime. I will probably even get this one fixed. But I most certainly would not carry a switchblade for self defense.

 

My older brother had a knife like this that he brought back from Switzerland back in about 69 or 70.  He was 19 or 20 at the time but because they were still illegal in Wisconsin, our mother took it away from him and hid it.  He got it back later when he got his own place.  Cool knife.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

 

d20????

 

LL

 

As an old "gamer" I believe he was referring to a stat used, years ago, in a game called Dungeons & Dragons.

THAC0 stood for: To Hit Armor Class 0   You would roll a 20 sided die (aka: d20) to determine if you hit your opponent.  Your roll was compared to the opponents armor class.  The number you needed to roll on the die to hit an opponent with an armor rating of 0 was called THAC0.

 

The rules have changed somewhat in more recent years and they no longer use THAC0.

 

Probably more than you wanted to know, but, there you go.

 

Angus

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

 

As an old "gamer" I believe he was referring to a stat used, years ago, in a game called Dungeons & Dragons.

THAC0 stood for: To Hit Armor Class 0   You would roll a 20 sided die (aka: d20) to determine if you hit your opponent.  Your roll was compared to the opponents armor class.  The number you needed to roll on the die to hit an opponent with an armor rating of 0 was called THAC0.

 

The rules have changed somewhat in more recent years and they no longer use THAC0.

 

Probably more than you wanted to know, but, there you go.

 

Angus

 

Gee....I wonder why I could not figure that out on my own.....:lol:

 

Thanks.

 

LL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Angus. I knew what a d20 was, but had no idea what that had to do with the subject of either tacos or switchblades.

 

I didn't start D&D until 1980. They must have quit thaco before that, because I've never heard of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was post AD&D 2ND edition. I stopped pen and paper RPGS in the 90's strictly Xbox and cataan these days

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

Several years ago I was reading an article on folding knives for self-defense. It talked about switchblades. It said they were a bad idea. They would let you down when you needed it. The mechanism was flimsy.

 

This is a hubertus lever lock. From everything I've heard, it is an extremely good knife.

1216224715_IMG_20220310_1307457182.thumb.jpg.b4442b1aeb40fd513750d08807d76f20.jpg

 

I opened it one day and I noticed, as I heard a melodic ping, that the blade went too far past.

 

1111109259_IMG_20220310_1308321992.thumb.jpg.179786c4382d3f1f188f3ea7713b9bb1.jpg


The spring broke. That was the ping - the piece of spring bouncing off the floor.

 

1874824412_IMG_20220310_1308087822.thumb.jpg.f8441fd08d6f69dfe15f3bb43a5dee15.jpg

 

 

I will probably have another switchblade, sometime. I will probably even get this one fixed. But I most certainly would not carry a switchblade for self defense.

mine is an AKC and after I had the "ears" ground off it is one of my favorite knives: 3" blade, stag scales, and a great edge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.