SASS Wire Forum

Upcoming Gun Auction

Tequila Shooter

I know everyone is sitting on a pile of money with price of gas/diesel image.jpeg.f1fce39500a68c37383a25fff3ccffd1.jpeghowever there’s a gun auction coming up that you may want to window shop.  Amoskeag Auction  they’ve got some interesting guns up for bid. 

10 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Dang, ya got me. Too much math going on here. :lol:

It only works 1/3 of the time to scale.

Lovely to look at it all, just too rich for my blood.

La Sombra

Howdy

I have attended the Amoskeag Auction many times. It is just up the road from me in Manchester NH.

This is not like Gun Broker, it is a live auction in a live, brick and mortar auction house. It actually takes place in one of the old mills in Manchester. Amoskeag is the name of the mill complex that used to be the largest mill complex in the world. Unlike Gun Broker, when an item comes up, it is bid on then and there. No sitting around at home and waiting until the last minute to outbid everybody else. Once the hammer comes down, that item is sold.

I have bought quite a few firearms there over the years, some were expensive, but I picked up some bargains too. What I liked best was the Silent Auction room. Stuff there was expected to bring a lower price than stuff in the main auction, so it was not bid on during the live auction. We would write our bids on a sheet of paper and submit them before the end of the auction. We would have to wait a few days while everything was tallied to find out if we won any of the items in the Silent Auction. I picked up a number of bargains from the Silent Auction. I think the best one was a real Triple Lock for $650. I also picked up antique ammo at the Silent auction.

There was always a bank of phones at the back of the room and employees would take phone bids over those phones. it was interesting to watch Jason, the owner, get frustrated with the phone bidders as they dilly-dallied about whether they were going to bid any higher.

I stopped going a couple of years ago, for a couple of reasons.

One reason was Covid. The live auction shut down for a year or so at the beginning of the pandemic.

The other reason was I was spending way too much money.

About the time I stopped attending the auction, Amoskeag began hosting the auction live on the web at the same time the live auction was happening in the auction house. That was pretty much the kiss of death for me attending the auction any more. A wise business move by Jason, but because of the wider distribution, this was guaranteed to drive the prices up much higher than what he would have gotten from 40 or so bidders in the room.

Jason still sends me the very glossy auction catalog, over 400 pages, it showed up a week ago or so. To tell you the truth, I have not even opened it. I don't want to be tempted.

A few of the items I picked up over the years at the Amoskeag Auction:

Merwin Hulbert Pocket Army, 44-40. Yes, I usually bring it to a SASS match about once a year and shoot it, with Black Powder cartridges of course.

pmdvB3hZj

S&W Schofield revolver, 1stModel.

plQNWEnoj

The most accurate 22 revolver I own, a S&W K-22 Outdoorsman that shipped in 1932. I always show this side, the other side is not as bad. Incorrect grips, but I could care less. None of the high bidders was interested, so I got it for a great price.

pm2Yy9rVj

The aforementioned Triple Lock. Yup, almost no blue left on the outside, but it still locks up as tight as the day it left the factory in 1907.

pnu8oWpvj

Smith and Wesson 38 Military and Police, 1st Model, also known as the Model of 1899. Got this one for a song too.

pmtsb2fDj

Something you don't see everyday. A S&W #2 Old Army Tip Up. Converted from the original 32 Rimfire to shoot 22 Rimfire. No one else was interested so I got it cheap.

poOdjKZWj

Smith and Wesson Lady Smiths

plHWXm26j

Smith and Wesson Perfecteds

pnBDmvQAj

Another thing you don't see very often. Savage 1861 36 caliber Navy revolver.

pmxOdCXIj

Yes..."Live" auctions are...fun.

But they have some major disadvantages. One, you've got to respond immediately. Also, they are usually "As Is, Where Is"...and feeding frenzies are the norm.

Plus, you usually pay for it in Buyer Premiums...so...have fun!

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yes..."Live" auctions are...fun.

But they have some major disadvantages. One, you've got to respond immediately. Also, they are usually "As Is, Where Is"...and feeding frenzies are the norm.

Plus, you usually pay for it in Buyer Premiums...so...have fun!

Amoskeag always had a viewing period of a week or two before the auction. Before I drove up to view stuff I would make notes in my catalog regarding what items I was interested in. Then I would drive up and spend several hours inspecting things with a fine tooth comb. This was an opportunity to cross things off my list that were not up to snuff, and add items that I had not considered before hand. I also got to handle stuff I had no intention of buying, such as original Henry rifles and other cool stuff. I would go up on a week day, there were never more than a few guys like me inspecting stuff. The feeding frenzy would happen for those guys who had to wait until the day of the auction to view stuff in the morning before the auction got underway.

So yes, when an item was 'under the hammer' I had to respond immediately , but I had done my homework previously.

Oh, I ain't saying I didn't get excited when one of the items I was interested in came up, yes, my heart would start racing. But that was part of the fun. Particularly when I got something for what I considered to be a good price.

Buyer's premium? Of course. Amoskeag made no secret of it. I seem to recall the buyer's premium was 15% over the hammer price if you paid by cash or check, more if you put it on a card. Jason always announced the buyer's premium at the start of the auction, so nobody would be taken by surprise. It was also clearly explained in the first couple of pages in the catalog. The Buyer's Premium is how the auction house actually makes their money. As I recall, they would keep 15% of the hammer price, the rest would go to the consignee. Then the other 15% would also go into the auction house's pocket too. So they were making 30% on every sale. I did not begrudge them that. They had a large staff who was very helpful, I got to know a few of them quite well over the years. That is how they paid the staff. What kind of staff does Gun Broker have?

11 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Amoskeag always had a viewing period of a week or two before the auction. Before I drove up to view stuff I would make notes in my catalog regarding what items I was interested in. Then I would drive up and spend several hours inspecting things with a fine tooth comb. This was an opportunity to cross things off my list that were not up to snuff, and add items that I had not considered before hand. I also got to handle stuff I had no intention of buying, such as original Henry rifles and other cool stuff. I would go up on a week day, there were never more than a few guys like me inspecting stuff. The feeding frenzy would happen for those guys who had to wait until the day of the auction to view stuff in the morning before the auction got underway.

So yes, when an item was 'under the hammer' I had to respond immediately , but I had done my homework previously.

Oh, I ain't saying I didn't get excited when one of the items I was interested in came up, yes, my heart would start racing. But that was part of the fun. Particularly when I got something for what I considered to be a good price.

Buyer's premium? Of course. Amoskeag made no secret of it. I seem to recall the buyer's premium was 15% over the hammer price if you paid by cash or check, more if you put it on a card. Jason always announced the buyer's premium at the start of the auction, so nobody would be taken by surprise. It was also clearly explained in the first couple of pages in the catalog. The Buyer's Premium is how the auction house actually makes their money. As I recall, they would keep 15% of the hammer price, the rest would go to the consignee. Then the other 15% would also go into the auction house's pocket too. So they were making 30% on every sale. I did not begrudge them that. They had a large staff who was very helpful, I got to know a few of them quite well over the years. That is how they paid the staff. What kind of staff does Gun Broker have?

I was just stating some "Live" auction weaknesses as compared to GB...which you brought up in a rather negative light.

I would hope that most folks know what a "Live" auction is like...there are many Auction Houses that specialize in Firearms/Militaria...big deal.

Cheers!

Phantom

• 2 weeks later...

they have high side of market value as STARTING BIDS so its ALL at RESERVE basically as the first bid is the lowest they will accept.  Dont care for "auctions" that have high start bids.  That 1894 take down is a nice rifle on the first page but starting bid must be $5000 or better!  ???   Ive been too LOTS of the large auction houses and they seem to be the only ones that pull that stuff versus just starting it at someones true first bid and go from there.   What ever...i wont be bidding on anything.  Also just got done with 3 large auctions over last couple months so im auctioned out for a bit, especially an auction with high starting bids in place.  

Looking further it looks like some start bids are nuts and some are just AT MARKET VALUE to start. 

Archived