SASS Wire Forum

Gunbroker seller won't meet

Trigger Mike

I found a m1a for less than my local dealer.  The seller only takes check or money order.  He has a profile that is 10 years old.  He has positive reviews on 154 items.  I called once I won to discuss payment, so left a voice mail.   Since he didn't call back I sent a message thru GunBroker.  

I then asked if I can come to his address or meet somewhere like bass pro half way.  He didn't answer for hours. I sent a follow-up.   He replied he only ships to a ffl.  I then offered to meet him at a dealer of his choice.  No reply as of yet .  It's been a while now.  

I hate to renig but I hate to send off that much money without an assurance of some kind.  

Payment and pickup should have been negotiated before bidding.  The ball is in his court. 

You never know what his story is.  I bought from an FFL on Gunbroker.  Turns out he was an over the road trucker who buys on his FFL.  Lists them online and can ship from anywhere.  The ones at home are packed up and his wife drops them off at the UPS hub.  It was over 2 weeks before he was back home to transfer it to me.  

well, I will not send money on anything until I talk to the seller in person on the phone and have a good address, phone number and know how he is going to ship.

That being said, I have never done a face to face deal on Gunbroker and not sure I would depending on the circumstances.

Maybe if they had a shop and I could pick it up there.

A SASS member off the wire, probably would meet them a a shoot somewhere, anywhere else would depend on who I know that would vouch for them

I sent an email telling him to pick the ffl near him and I will meet him there yesterday and today.  No reply.  My phone call was not returned.   The picture of the rifle was in a white cardboard box, no carrying case like other listing for that rifle.  There were 35 bids before me but no one bid after me which I also thought was odd.  

Actually, I would be also be reluctant to meet someone I didn't know FTF on a gun purchase.

There are many sellers that will not do a ftf. To many wackos out there. Many gunbroker sellers say upfront shipping only, no ftf transfers. Keep in mind if they sell to a felon it’s on them. 

GunBroker.com facilitates the legal exchange of firearms and accessories between adults. It is legal to buy and sell firearms in the US, provided you adhere to federal, state and local laws. 

Transfer of firearms ownership requires an FFL holder:

A Federal Firearms License (FFL) transfer dealer is required for the transfer of firearms ownership between individuals.

Buyers should either have a FFL or find a FFL in their local area to receive and manage the transfer of the item for them before they place a bid or purchase an item. This typically means the buyer must contact a local FFL transfer dealer to make arrangements for the transfer.

The above is from gunbroker’s website. YMMV.

Fox

Fox FFL are not required for all firearm sales/transfers. 

That is a requirement in SOME  jurisdictions.

Private sales/transfers between non prohibited individuals are allowed in other jurisdictions.

1 hour ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

A Federal Firearms License (FFL) transfer dealer is required for the transfer of firearms ownership between individuals.

Fox

Most of live in free states that DO NOT require a FFL for PRIVATE gun sales in a face to face setting. An FFL is only required when the gun must be shipped.

1 hour ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

GunBroker.com facilitates the legal exchange of firearms and accessories between adults. It is legal to buy and sell firearms in the US, provided you adhere to federal, state and local laws. 

Buyers should either have a FFL or find a FFL in their local area to receive and manage the transfer of the item for them before they place a bid or purchase an item. This typically means the buyer must contact a local FFL transfer dealer to make arrangements for the transfer.

Direct quote from Gunbroker.  Not my interpretation. 

I agree that face to face is permitted in many areas, as it should be. 

If you quote someones post, please use the whole post. Edit or partial quotes lead to misinterpretation.

Fox

38 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Direct quote from Gunbroker.  Not my interpretation. 

I agree that face to face is permitted in many areas, as it should be. 

If you quote someones post, please use the whole post. Edit or partial quotes lead to misinterpretation.

Fox

Understood. No intent to mislead. I tend to cut out the parts not pertinent to my response. It usually saves time and confusion.

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Understood. No intent to mislead. I tend to cut out the parts not pertinent to my response. It usually saves time and confusion.

I too sometimes quote only the relevant sentence.  Using an ellipses to show that you've done so should eliminate any confusion.

10 hours ago, Cholla said:

There are many sellers that will not do a ftf. To many wackos out there. Many gunbroker sellers say upfront shipping only, no ftf transfers. Keep in mind if they sell to a felon it’s on them. 

It can also be a waste of time.  People may no show, be late, or not have reasonable payment.  

23 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

He finally sent an email saying his ffl wants him to pay 50 and me to pay 50 which is 25 more than shipping would be, and he mentioned the 3 hour drive to and from to discourage me from doing that.   

Did he say who the FFL is so you can call to confirm? 

He did after a follow-up email.  He also offered to relist it, so I told him since he is not an ffl his rifle is not factory new like he listed it and please accept my apologies but if he wanted to relist it,  I would understand,  so he will.  

Archived