SASS Wire Forum

To Lube or Not to Lube

Randingo

I tried shooting conical coated miniballs in my musket and it was a disaster.  After about 5 shots the gun was so fowled I had to push the ramrod down the barrel by pushing it against a tree.  Just didn't work with real black powder.

Not a cowboy thing, but you can lube them if you want. I tested with and without. You can load coated and lubed bullets about 100 fps faster than you can just coated. At about a few fps faster than a legal cowboy round a coated bullet starts to lead, with lube you can go a bit faster w/o leading. 

IOW, you can, but unless you are driving the crap out them, it does nothing. 

1 hour ago, Fill Yer Hand said:

What about with triple 7? Does that fall into the app/substitute category?

I shoot coated bullets with T7.

19 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

Not a cowboy thing, but you can lube them if you want. I tested with and without. You can load coated and lubed bullets about 100 fps faster than you can just coated. At about a few fps faster than a legal cowboy round a coated bullet starts to lead, with lube you can go a bit faster w/o leading. 

If the lubed ones are indeed quicker, then doesn't that also imply that the unlubed ones will increase the pressures needed to force them out of the barrel?

To lube or not to lube.

That is the question.
Whether 'tis needed to grease up coated bullets,

Or let them slide down the barrel on their own,

Is the question that we must ponder.

Let the question of to grease or not to grease,

Be asked with sober reflection.
Let it be determined if it be truly needed,

And then act as the reality doth dictate.
For if by greasing, the bullet doth exit the bore and go to its target
Then all shall be well.
But if the ungreased bullet doth get stuck in the barrel,

Than all is amiss.

And the Cowboy Action shall be lost.

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Be asked with sober reflection.

Wait just a minute!!  I said nothing about being sober!!! :lol:

On 2/15/2022 at 12:39 PM, "Big Boston" said:

Precisely, like I said, not a cowboy thing, but if you want to drive them faster, you can by putting lube in the grooves. I could see it if you were hunting game or ?

I never tested to see if it improved accuracy, in that if you sized and lubed the bullets, they would be of a uniform diameter. And you wouldn't notice it shooting big steel plates. 

To me the greatest advantage of buying coated bullets is that you are not touching lead when you are reloading, the bullets don't need to be grooved, they don't need to be as precisely sized, they don't lead at cowboy velocities, and less smoke (no burning grease). 

BB

Archived