SASS Wire Forum

Pipe smokers

Perro Del Diablo

I recently started my pipe again after over 20 years. An old corn cob by Missouri Meerschaum I also have a scott I got on Amazon. I like the look of savanelli alligator.  What pipe you like? I prefer hardwood because I use aromatic tobacco with cherry my favorite. What brand tobacco do you like?

Briar for sure.  I have several.  About a 1/3 are ones that I made before my hands started shaking.  Used to make them for sale, and even (barely) covered our bills.  That said, I'm a fan of Savinelli.  They make a good pipe at a reasonable price.

For tobacco, I like VA/Perique blends.  My suggestion is to try everything that you can and keep notes.

Circa 1980...

Ran out of money for smokes, and it was County Fair time.

I was helping the IOOF food booth, and dad had left me money for gas...but not getting a paycheck for the week from my job took my cigg money.

Daddy had grandpa's pipe...and a bag of Borcum Riff (?) Bourbon tobacco.

I ran around the county fair in bib overalls. I had to have a pocket for my tobaccy and pipe, right??

Screenshot_20211212-191220_Google.jpg

25 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Circa 1980...

Ran out of money for smokes, and it was County Fair time.

I was helping the IOOF food booth, and dad had left me money for gas...but not getting a paycheck for the week from my job took my cigg money.

Daddy had grandpa's pipe...and a bag of Borcum Riff (?) Bourbon tobacco.

I ran around the county fair in bib overalls. I had to have a pocket for my tobaccy and pipe, right??

Screenshot_20211212-191220_Google.jpg

You mentioned I.O.O.F. 

Corsicana has an I.O.O.F. building that was started in the 1880's. It has been restored, and used now as an event center. 

It is really a great looking building. You might check it out on-line.

I.O.O.F. is a big deal around here. 

W.K.

1 minute ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

You mentioned I.O.O.F. 

Corsicana has an I.O.O.F. building that was started in the 1880's. It has been restored, and used now as an event center. 

It is really a great looking building. You might check it out on-line.

I.O.O.F. is a big deal around here. 

W.K.

Yes!!! Waxahachie has a huge IOOF prescense!!! The building is downtown...maybe the old bank???

Huge #'s...like 180 members???

Great to see.

Lodge hall is over the Tatoo Shop???

1 minute ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yes!!! Waxahachie has a huge IOOF prescense!!! The building is downtown...maybe the old bank???

Huge #'s...like 180 members???

Great to see.

Lodge hall is over the Tatoo Shop???

It is south of the courthouse about a block. Large old red brick building. 

The one in Corsicana was used as an orphan's and widow's home, for a lot of years. It sat idle and empty, until restored and now used as an event center.

My Grandmother was set to go to an I.O.O.F. nursing home, but she went to live with my parents, instead. 

Lots of history around here, with the I.O.O.F. 

Have to check on the tatoo shop. If I can ever get past the needle part, I may get one, before I go under. 

23 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

It is south of the courthouse about a block. Large old red brick building. 

The one in Corsicana was used as an orphan's and widow's home, for a lot of years. It sat idle and empty, until restored and now used as an event center.

My Grandmother was set to go to an I.O.O.F. nursing home, but she went to live with my parents, instead. 

Lots of history around here, with the I.O.O.F. 

Have to check on the tatoo shop. If I can ever get past the needle part, I may get one, before I go under. 

I grew up in the order...

We just found the hour drive in twice a month and really not 'doing anything' productive with it,was not what we wanted to do.

They still have a club in Albq...

Just now, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I grew up in the order...

We just found the hour drive in twice a month and really not 'doing anything' productive with it,was not what we wanted to do.

They still have a club in Albq...

Shanley and I met through IOOF...we were 12, attending a youth conference.

Hard to beat a Salvanelli pipe.  Most places will sell you an ounce or two to try...even by mail order. I've settled on Pipes and Cigars Co  Vanilla Cavendish (half cavendish, hald Burley) as my go to tobacco.   A 12 oz bag will set you back about $14 bucks shipped.

Stopped by Tobacco Lane and got some Lane very cherry to try. Attendant was extremely knowledgeable about cigars. Only he made coment that once cherry tobacco was smoked through pipe it was cherry only? Never heard anything like this other than container and petroleum products. 

6 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

It did have a nice, smooth flavor. And the aroma was pleasant.

yes one of the few i could get my ex-wife to actually say she liked , but that was not why i chose it , i liked the taste and the smell and the smooth smoke it offered , it relaxed me 

Archived