SASS Wire Forum

I have always wanted a Ruger #1. Too Tall Bob had one in .300 Wby listed and I pulled the trigger and bought it, new in original box. I mounted a Leupold 4 x 14 VXIII on it and finally got to the range today. I boresighted it before I left. Pretty windy today too. I only shot 10 rounds. Started a 25 yards to verify zero. Then to 100 yards. Target is the last 4 I shot. First one is a sighter, then adjusted and the 3 shot group was what I finished up with. Used my own handloads for another .300 Wby I have and they seem to shoot great in this rifle too. I will get back to the range for some 200 & 300 yard works after the current storm passes and the wind dies down. I plan on hunting elk with it in late November. 

IMG_1059.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

• Like 10

Beautiful. I wish I had one as well. Saw a nice one in 308 a while back but couldn’t get the funding. Good luck with it!!

13 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I'm a huge sucker for gorgeous wood. :wub:

Me too. Here is my 30-06 with it's tiger tail maple stock.  I made the stock over 60 years ago. Still hunt with it too.1991859667_Springfield003.thumb.jpg.7b7126cec4ceea41fa134bd34d549c4a.jpg

Edited by Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life
  • Like 4

My wedding present from my wife was a Ruger #1 in 270. That was forty years ago and obviously its not for sale. I also have a heavy barrel in 22-250 and a number 3 in 45-70. Great guns

• Like 2

I do love my Ruger Number 1. I bought mine back in the 1990's, and I am glad I did. Back then they had lots more variety of calibers available, than they offer now. 

There is just something about a single shot rifle, that, to me, seems to edge out my bolt-action rifle. 

It's a quality rifle, and is very accurate. 

Thanks for the post. 

W.K. 

• Like 1

Most excellent!

Congratulations on such a classy acquisition.  I bet the deer and elk will be impressed, too!  :lol:

• Haha 1

Bee-Yoo-Tee-Full~!!  ^_^

I am particularly impressed with the target!  

My No. 1 has comparable wood; however, it's .270 barrel is in AB configuration - which means it's very thin.  Downright whippy, even... the barrel walls are only 1/10" at the muzzle.  Unless I let it cool between shots, it shoots a pattern instead of a group.  Yours is MUCH more accurate than mine... 

But I still love it!  :)

• Like 2

Saw one in .243 a bit back. Should have bought it. I have the cash but was scared to ask my wife for a check. Lol. 

• Haha 1