SASS Wire Forum

The Aussie Humour Thread

Buckshot Bear

24 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Silent cop, did you have these in America?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_cop

419877695_360194663296042_4274834216259858782_n.jpg.9658447d46586156bc54acad3d5c9628.jpg

Never seen one anywhere I've been!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Silent cop, did you have these in America?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_cop

419877695_360194663296042_4274834216259858782_n.jpg.9658447d46586156bc54acad3d5c9628.jpg

Have not seen one in the states.  

Whoever wrote that article is very optimistic, that dome is not 5" tall.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_cop#/media/File%3ASilent_cop_-_Shortland_02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Check out the "trip rock" on the curb by the drain grate.

In the link!

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

But, But, But...................I thought they were cute cuddly little fellows!!!!!

Angry Koala images.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

It looks like the busted off corner of the curb. 

Possible I guess, but don't really see where broke from.

• Like 1

I was thinking that it looked like a diverter. Storm water runs down the gutter, and when it gets to that corner there it might go around the corner or it might just go out into the street and make a puddle, which would be a hydroplaning hazard.

But there's that chunk of concrete position just perfectly to divert the water off to the right, and then down through the grate into the sewer.

I thought it was deliberately put there, and was sort of a neat idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I was thinking that it looked like a diverter. Storm water runs down the gutter, and when it gets to that corner there it might go around the corner or it might just go out into the street and make a puddle, which would be a hydroplaning hazard.

But there's that chunk of concrete position just perfectly to divert the water off to the right, and then down through the grate into the sewer.

I thought it was deliberately put there, and was sort of a neat idea.

I thought so too, but it looks like a law suit waiting to happen. Hard to see while staring at a damn phone!:ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wireless patrol a world first
Victoria Police was the first police force in the world to use wireless communication in patrol cars. Invented by Senior Constable Downie in 1922, the new technology had a major impact on operational policing.
Before the introduction of wireless enabled cars, police on patrol had to find a telephone every 30 minutes and call headquarters for crime reports. By this time an offender could have escaped with the spoils of their crime and police would be left scratching their heads.
When a small fleet of cars were fitted with the new wireless radio technology, the results were unparalleled. Police were able to be on the scene within minutes of a crime being reported.
The equipment worked by sending Morse Code messages via radio waves from headquarters to patrol cars. Initially, the wireless patrol could only receive messages, and were required to phone in after attending a scene.
This meant that dispatch did not know the status of the patrol, meaning they could not be sent assistance if they ran into trouble. To rectify this, the cars were soon fitted with the ability to send as well as receive messages.
Cars were fitted with a transmitter and receiver and a huge 6-meter aerial, set up when sending messages. Messages were decoded and sent by an on-hand Morse code operator who sat in the back of the patrol vehicle.
Hailed as an elite squad, the wireless patrol were in operation until the early 1970s. In their day, the members were easily recognisable in their V12 Daimlers with trusty mascot, P.C. Bully, riding on the sideboard.
State library

420196856_10231064762707772_5673408389049637171_n.jpg.aefc9f6293f32472dd3f151fdb99d804.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:
Wireless patrol a world first
Victoria Police was the first police force in the world to use wireless communication in patrol cars. Invented by Senior Constable Downie in 1922, the new technology had a major impact on operational policing.
Before the introduction of wireless enabled cars, police on patrol had to find a telephone every 30 minutes and call headquarters for crime reports. By this time an offender could have escaped with the spoils of their crime and police would be left scratching their heads.
When a small fleet of cars were fitted with the new wireless radio technology, the results were unparalleled. Police were able to be on the scene within minutes of a crime being reported.
The equipment worked by sending Morse Code messages via radio waves from headquarters to patrol cars. Initially, the wireless patrol could only receive messages, and were required to phone in after attending a scene.
This meant that dispatch did not know the status of the patrol, meaning they could not be sent assistance if they ran into trouble. To rectify this, the cars were soon fitted with the ability to send as well as receive messages.
Cars were fitted with a transmitter and receiver and a huge 6-meter aerial, set up when sending messages. Messages were decoded and sent by an on-hand Morse code operator who sat in the back of the patrol vehicle.
Hailed as an elite squad, the wireless patrol were in operation until the early 1970s. In their day, the members were easily recognisable in their V12 Daimlers with trusty mascot, P.C. Bully, riding on the sideboard.
State library

420196856_10231064762707772_5673408389049637171_n.jpg.aefc9f6293f32472dd3f151fdb99d804.jpg

For those wondering. 

The dog's name is PC Bully and he rode with the squad each night.

IMG_2167.jpeg.51c3a638fa86b4332647b4400591f360.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

420167924_7158236977596064_7524330918555576510_n.jpg.2245613aadb001024627ea7dcef84ebb.jpg

Sounds like the Eastern whitetail around here!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

420167924_7158236977596064_7524330918555576510_n.jpg.2245613aadb001024627ea7dcef84ebb.jpg

And why my friend Ron says he has 'Roo Bars on his Ute.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

........... not an uncommon addition to ANY outback conveyance, ..... and some not so outback :blush:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

421235733_25465605833038339_6341507452296797603_n.jpg.1466583e5b4b864911823fa5e64ccc2f.jpg

Where are the shackles and kangaroos?  American history classes teach that Australia was started as a British penal colony after we kicked out the redcoats.  It was the most remembered school lesson because not one boy forgot "British penal colony".  For years the only two things we knew about Australia was it's a land full of criminals and giant punching rabbit-like animals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Where are the shackles and kangaroos?  American history classes teach that Australia was started as a British penal colony after we kicked out the redcoats.  It was the most remembered school lesson because not one boy forgot "British penal colony".  For years the only two things we knew about Australia was it's a land full of criminals and giant punching rabbit-like animals.

A lot of us are very proud of our convict heritage.....it wasn't always like that though. At one time people kept that cupboard door tightly closed.

convicts-australia-below-decks-in-a-typical-convict-transportation-KYW5Y7.thumb.jpg.fd361a4b9d78d1c3bc7cce75507f7bbc.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I wonder if N'Yawlins has got over themselves?

When it was first started there was a whole bunch of men but not too many women. So they rounded up a bunch of women out of prisons (called correction girls) in France and shipped them over.

Later they took a bunch of good girls - poor but good - and they got shipped over with a little trunk full of possessions. These girls were called filles de casquette - casket girls - because of the trunk.

Apparently none of the jailbirds ever had a baby. Because all of the old families of N'Yawlins, who count their ancestry back from the time the town was young, are descended from casket girls.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

My wife wished most sincerely she'd had a Roo Bar on our little Nissan pickup, some years ago.
The deer she hit, came out in second place.

Unfortunately, so did our little Nissan pickup!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I didn't know that Nemo was Australian. Heck, I could understand everybody in the movie, quite clearly with no need of a translator.

• Haha 1