SASS Wire Forum

CMP 1911 ponder

Alpo

If you bought one of those CMP 1911s, and when you received it you discovered that it actually was a 1911 (not an A1) would you want to put it back in 1911 condition?

Injun Rider's gun.

100_1982.JPG

When I blew the picture up I noticed there were no index finger cutouts in the frame. It is a 1911. But the 1911 had a straight mainspring housing and a long trigger.

141628_017b18667d600364fa8171209c12e30f.jpg.71d3087fab42efa68cb15f40532ce1de.jpg

Those are easy fixes. The hammer is also different on an A1, but I can't tell from that picture what hammer it has.

So, would you?

The M-1 Carbine reimports of the '90's had hidden gems mixed in, too.

Guy came into the shop I was working in back then and ordered a carbine.  What came in ended up being an extremely early gun (flip up rear sight, push button safety, different cut for the oiler,.... basically every feature they dropped to speed production or was changed after it was put into regular issue) that had been shipped to Germany after WW2 and was marked as being used by the Bavarian Forestry Police or something of that sort.  They might have had it in their armory but it didn't look like it had seen much use at all.

The manager and I recognized that it was something different, did some pre-Internet digging and figured out what he had and told him when he came to pick it up.  He ended up ordering another gun to shoot and left that one strictly alone.

31 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Leave it be, I. R.

You need a bayonet (for the carbine, not the pistol.)

Wasn't my question and not planning to change anything on the 1911.

I already have a couple bayonets; a USM4 (leather handle) and USM4 AK1 (plastic grips). 

image.thumb.png.0cb4a035d9272ca0216ce6ed7d912c23.png

I also have plenty of ammo and magazines.

All of the above due to having an IBM M1 Carbine for quite awhile.:D

Not a CMP, but I had that exact thing happen to me several years ago. Got a 1911 in trade then when I checked the SN it was a WW1 gun. So I did spend several years getting it back to original condition, the correct slide being the hardest part. But Old Slabsides is now correct. Was very satisfying!

Trying to put a 1911 back to original condition opens up a can of worms. Finding the parts is hard enough, finding ones with a matching finish is even harder. The CMP pistols are "original" as-is since you're receiving them in the same condition as they were when they left the military arsenal. Trying to restore them only makes them just another pieced-together gun like so many others out there.

44 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Trying to put a 1911 back to original condition opens up a can of worms. Finding the parts is hard enough, finding ones with a matching finish is even harder. The CMP pistols are "original" as-is since you're receiving them in the same condition as they were when they left the military arsenal. Trying to restore them only makes them just another pieced-together gun like so many others out there.

You summed up what took me so long! Correct short spur grip safety was a nightmare to find! Nobody saved them back then, if it hadn't been for a guy who bought out an old gunsmith's stock, I might still be looking for that.

Archived