Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mad Jacket Hornet

12 GA Ammo option

Recommended Posts

If buying new 12ga Ammo is Winchester xtra-lite AA #9 shot a viable option or is it too much to use for cowboy shooting? 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll certainly work, but at 1180 fps, it's 200 fps faster than the Low Noise/ Low Recoil commonly called Featherlites. Your shoulder will notice the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The #9 shot will be useful if shooting at targets in poor repair.  A #9 shot bouncing back hurts less than larger shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

It'll certainly work, but at 1180 fps, it's 200 fps faster than the Low Noise/ Low Recoil commonly called Featherlites. Your shoulder will notice the difference.

Bob,

 I was having a hard time finding featherlites locally and wasn’t sure they were still called that, but I found the xtra-lites in a store. I will continue to search. Thanks for the info.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MJH, they are still called Featherlites by shooters but not by Winchester.  The box says "Low Noise Low Recoil" , 26gr of shot, Min. dram equiv.  There is still a feather printed on the shell, but you don't see that on the box.  The product number is AA12FL8.  There are some Federal low recoil shells out there and maybe some others, but not as common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a bunch or the Winchester low noise/recoil shells and wile they are light they do not shuck well out of my pedersoli SxS.  I find the reloads I make from Remington Gun clubs work better.  7/8 of #8 shot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The factory gun clubs also shuck very well out of side by sides.

kR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I have a bunch or the Winchester low noise/recoil shells and wile they are light they do not shuck well out of my pedersoli SxS.  I find the reloads I make from Remington Gun clubs work better.  7/8 of #8 shot.

Does Remington gun club come in 7/8 or is that your reload in used hulls?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

The factory gun clubs also shuck very well out of side by sides.

kR

I will look at those as well, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mad Jacket Hornet said:

Does Remington gun club come in 7/8 or is that your reload in used hulls?

I have never seen any Gun Clubs in 7/8.  The ones I use I have reloaded myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nickel City Dude said:

I have never seen any Gun Clubs in 7/8.  The ones I use I have reloaded myself.

Thanks for clearing that up, I dont reload (yet) just trying to get back into cowboy action, it has been a few years.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mad Jacket Hornet said:

Does Remington gun club come in 7/8 or is that your reload in used hulls?

They do come in 1oz 1185fps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

I found Rogers's Sporting has Federal 900fps in stock.

Can you provide a link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

I found Rogers's Sporting has Federal 900fps in stock.

 

I ordered those from Rogers a few years ago.  The hulls are ribbed and the brass is rather high for a low velocity load.  They mostly worked okay but a few times hulls stuck in my TTN, and nothing else ever sticks in that gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

 

I ordered those from Rogers a few years ago.  The hulls are ribbed and the brass is rather high for a low velocity load.  They mostly worked okay but a few times hulls stuck in my TTN, and nothing else ever sticks in that gun.

TTN? sorry I know what SxS is but not familiar with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mad Jacket Hornet said:

TTN? sorry I know what SxS is but not familiar with that.

hammered SxS now marketed as the Cimarron 1878. These are a copy of the Colt shotgun from 1878.

 

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/shotguns-1/1878-hammered-shotgun.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

hammered SxS now marketed as the Cimarron 1878. These are a copy of the Colt shotgun from 1878.

 

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/shotguns-1/1878-hammered-shotgun.html

Thanks Goody! I am getting back into shooting and also have a lot to learn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BassPro has the Win Low Recoil/Low Noise in stock.  You just missed the Win rebate on them.  It ended August 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.