Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

I've got a hankerin' for a better long range lever gun...


Recommended Posts

I hardly ever shoot my 1895CB, but I found a spare Lee Shaver bubble level front globe and figured I'd make a long range lever side match rifle out of it. Have any of ya put a vernier or Soule rear sight on an 1895 or 336? MVA and Kelley Sights both make one that is offset far enough to the rear to give the bolt clearance to open. Oof - and I thought MVA's were expensive!

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my friends  has a Shaver on his 1895 Marlin 45/70    Loves it but commented was expensive.  Will see him this weekend. Will ask more if remember    GW

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

HA! Posted the pic in the wrong thread - oh well. 

My MVA sight showed up Saturday, three weeks and three days after ordering it - less lead time than they quoted. :)

Sight.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to mount it this morning, and it appears they sent the wrong base. I called Cheryl at MVA, and she said the base listed on the invoice should be the correct one for a Marlin 1895, but the one they sent sticks past the end of the tang by at least a quarter inch, which would require extending the tang slot, as the wood is proud of the tang. She said that shouldn't be the case and to send some pictures. About that time, their email server went down, so she never got the pics. :( I'll try sending them again tomorrow. 

MVA_01.jpg

MVA_02.jpg

MVA.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you just need a different 1895....   :rolleyes:

 

                    winchester-model-1895-bluedwalnut-lever-action-rifle-405-winchester-317712-1.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3w2NjMxNHxpbWFnZS9qcGVnfGltYWdlcy9oNmEvaDQ0LzkxNTczNjc0NjM5NjYuanBnfGRhNWMyMjIwNWM1OGRiOWQ3OGRjZDQxODE5NjAyZjgxMTc5YmRiOTY1ZWUyM2I0NTUxNDNmNWI4ZjAzMzM4MTc

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

My MVA sight showed up Saturday, three weeks and three days after ordering it - less lead time than they quoted. :)

 

Looks like a nice sight that will serve you well once the base gets straight. Gives me hope for whenever mine might get here. Seven weeks and counting, and all I get from Cheryl is “hopefully this week”.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I talked to Jim Gier, the owner/operator this morning, and he said the tang screw isn't used to mount the sight, but rather two more 10x32 holes need to be drilled & threaded. I asked why one of the included screws was a replacement 12x32 tang screw then, and why is the rear hole of the base larger to accommodate a larger #12 screw while the front hole is for a #10 screw. He didn't really have an answer, other than "Cheryl takes care of that", but said he'd send me another short 10x32 screw, make me a new base with the proper size rear screw hole and "try to get them out to you in a week or so".  :mellow:

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I talked to Jim Gier, the owner/operator this morning, and he said the tang screw isn't used to mount the sight, but rather two more 10x32 holes need to be drilled & threaded. I asked why one of the included screws was a replacement 12x32 tang screw then, and why is the rear hole of the base larger to accommodate a larger #12 screw while the front hole is for a #10 screw. He didn't really have an answer, other than "Cheryl takes care of that", but said he'd send me another short 10x32 screw, make me a new base with the proper size rear screw hole and "try to get them out to you in a week or so".  :mellow:

You’re kidding, right?  MVA’s owner gave that response?

 

I just talked with Cheryl yesterday about my eight week old order. I respect that COVID has businesses a little off, and the owner has had some personal challenges. It might take a little longer to get my sights. I just want an honest answer of when they’ll be shipped. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep - he said he didn't know why she sent out the wrong screw when that's not how it's supposed to be mounted in the first place, and couldn't give me a clear answer as to why the base had been made to take two different screw sizes. The rear hole is drilled for the larger #12 screw, and a replacement tang screw was included, but he said that's not how it's supposed to be mounted. When he explained how they made the base to be mounted with two short screws, I asked why in the world would someone use two different screw diameters and he said he didn't know and that they didn't even stock a short #12 screw. It didn't make sense that the rear hole was drilled for the tang screw and a new tang screw was included when that's not how it's supposed to be mounted. When I made the order, Cheryl asked me how many holes were in the tang, as that would determine which set of screws she'd send with the sight.
:wacko:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would expect that sight is not legal for the long range side matches, as the manual says receiver mounted sights are not allowed...?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 12:00 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Maybe you just need a different 1895....   :rolleyes:

 

                    winchester-model-1895-bluedwalnut-lever-action-rifle-405-winchester-317712-1.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfGltYWdlc3w2NjMxNHxpbWFnZS9qcGVnfGltYWdlcy9oNmEvaDQ0LzkxNTczNjc0NjM5NjYuanBnfGRhNWMyMjIwNWM1OGRiOWQ3OGRjZDQxODE5NjAyZjgxMTc5YmRiOTY1ZWUyM2I0NTUxNDNmNWI4ZjAzMzM4MTc

That's to one I got.  Bought it (a Browning Model 1895) in 1990 in .30 U. S. Krag caliber.  I had a barrel band front sling swivel added a year later with a butt fixture to go with it.  They are for an old-time Winchester hook-and-eye type sling mounts), and I removed the rear sight and had a reproduction Lyman #21 rear sight by Providence Tool Company added to it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Winchester 1895 wouldn't be legal for side matches anyway , doesn't have a tubular magazine. But you knew that. :D

Rex :D

Well... duh... brain fart!

I had sights on my brain, and didn't even think about someone posting about illegal sights in addition to  an illegal rifle!

 

I use a Leupold VXIII on a custom Ruger M77 .338-06 myself. ;)  :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got energetic this morning, took the stock off, jigged things up, scribed a couple lines, drilled & tapped the tang, and mounted 'er up. Hopefully, we'll have a few days coming up with no snow and no wind before winter sets in. :)

 

Misses are a thing of the past now... :lol:

MVA.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

ive looked at a lot of these on other folks rifles , i think i might have to upgrade the one on mine to be happy , yours is one of the nicer i have viewed 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.