SASS Wire Forum

I have been pondering sox

Utah Bob #35998

Or socks if you will, or stockings, or whatever. Changing my sweaty ones (which the dog seems unnaturally interested in) for fresh ones after my afternoon exercise I began to wonder when they first became common. Most probably in the Middle Ages I thought, recalling all the painting of the old masters. Certainly someone had to invent knitting first. Then I wondered when knitting was invented. Also Middle Ages? Europe or Asia?

But after pulling up the fresh socks, I became distracted by a bag of beef jerky so I did no research.
Feel free to look this fascinating subject up on your electronic device or old school Brittanica and share the results here.

Or not. 
:P

Archeologists at the fortress at Vindolanda on Hadrian's Wall found some letters legionaries wrote home and the responses.

One letter from a young legionary was to his family and he thanked them for the socks they had sent him.

That puts them to before the Roman withdrawal from Britain.

It was not universal. Russian, Soviet, and again Russian soldiers wrapped their feet, likely copied from the French army of the 18th century. I read around 2014 that health and morale improved when socks were authorized as well as bathing more than once per week.

Bob,

I read your post with interest, and after contemplating doing some in-depth research regarding this fascinating subject, I too became distracted by your bag of beef jerky. This distraction unfortunately left me with more questions than answers. 
>Did you have a beer with the jerky? If so,

>What kind?

I must know. I must...

7 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Archeologists at the fortress at Vindolanda on Hadrian's Wall found some letters legionaries wrote home and the responses.

One letter from a young legionary was to his family and he thanked them for the socks they had sent him.

That puts them to before the Roman withdrawal from Britain.

Interesting that it was possible, at that time, for a family (I don’t know how far away) to send letters and packages to someone in a military operation (or for any reason) any lengthy distance, and then, to receive responses.

Cat Brules.

For daily wearing during the COVID-19 quarantine, I have devolved to pre-stone age sockless leather foot coverings (e.g., car shoes)

14 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

Bob,

I read your post with interest, and after contemplating doing some in-depth research regarding this fascinating subject, I too became distracted by your bag of beef jerky. This distraction unfortunately left me with more questions than answers. 
>Did you have a beer with the jerky? If so,

>What kind?

I must know. I must...

Si. Modela Negra.

As one of my birthday gifts recently, my wife gave me assorted packages of beef and other jerkies.  I’m still chewing on ‘em!

Back to the soxs, or socks, whatever. Probably shortly after the last ice age, when feet became chilled, and wool was available.

I'm guessing the Scots came up with the idea, because of a surplice of argyle and wool.  

Archived