SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 First Day... Good and Bad News

bgavin

I took the Uberti 1873 44-mag carbine #341260 out for its first day at the range today.
Uberti is full of merde saying this is a 9+1 capacity.  I have 10 in the tube with no difficulty at all.

This is the one that was already 6 years old after sitting in the warehouse of Kentucky Gun Co. when I bought it  3 months ago.
Being concerned, I called Uberti and was told it has indeed been unsold since wholesaled to KYG in 2014.
They also told me there were zero production changes made over that 6 year span.
Mine is "new, old stock".

This is the same one that arrived new, with a nasty ding in the stock.
I opted not to endure the CA hassle of replacing the gun, etc, etc.

The very good news:  this is a tack driver.
POI = POA... and I'm very impressed.

The bad news:  while leaving the range, my rifle case was not fully zipped.
Said brand new rifle ejected from the case and landed on the asphalt.

I now have a whole bunch more "road love" on the stock than I did before.

Great rifle, BTW... smoother than my 1894CB out of the box, and a delight to shoot.
I can only imagine what these 1873 are like when fully slicked up... Butter that goes Bang...

There will come a day down the road when you will probably want to refinish the stock. You can repair most of the dings & dents to look like new. Even the deep ones can be fixed.

Wet some cloth with warm water and place it (only) on the site of the ding and let it sit for a while.

The water may expand the wood and bring the dent out.

I got a really bad dent in the stock of my shotgun out that way.

20 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Wet some cloth with warm water and place it (only) on the site of the ding and let it sit for a while.

The water may expand the wood and bring the dent out.

I got a really bad dent in the stock of my shotgun out that way.

Stubborn dents can sometimes be lifted with a cloth held over the spot and moderate heat and steam from a stream iron applied. If the finish is a lacquer base (which it's not on a Uberti) it may cause the area to turn white, but when it dries completely the color should return to normal.

Okay. Real road rash. That just added to it's charm. Sorry Pardner. I feel for ya.

By the way I've been saving a brandy new Taurus nickle plated or stainless, can't remember Pump Lightning repro in 45LC in the original box and never fired. Don't have a picture handy, still unpacking things. Wonder if anybody might be interested. Gave most all my guns and equipment to the kids when I left Dodge but for some reason hung onto it.

Also have a great sailboat for sail if anybody is interested.

19 hours ago, bgavin said:

I took the Uberti 1873 44-mag carbine #341260 out for its first day at the range today.
Uberti is full of merde saying this is a 9+1 capacity.  I have 10 in the tube with no difficulty at all.

This is the one that was already 6 years old after sitting in the warehouse of Kentucky Gun Co. when I bought it  3 months ago.
Being concerned, I called Uberti and was told it has indeed been unsold since wholesaled to KYG in 2014.
They also told me there were zero production changes made over that 6 year span.
Mine is "new, old stock".

This is the same one that arrived new, with a nasty ding in the stock.
I opted not to endure the CA hassle of replacing the gun, etc, etc.

The very good news:  this is a tack driver.
POI = POA... and I'm very impressed.

The bad news:  while leaving the range, my rifle case was not fully zipped.
Said brand new rifle ejected from the case and landed on the asphalt.

I now have a whole bunch more "road love" on the stock than I did before.

Great rifle, BTW... smoother than my 1894CB out of the box, and a delight to shoot.
I can only imagine what these 1873 are like when fully slicked up... Butter that goes Bang...

Don’t worry about the mars.  It’s like your own initials.  You’ll be able to pick it out of a cache.

Well, you won’t do that again, will ya? ;)

18 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Stubborn dents can sometimes be lifted with a cloth held over the spot and moderate heat and steam from a stream iron applied. If the finish is a lacquer base (which it's not on a Uberti) it may cause the area to turn white, but when it dries completely the color should return to normal.

If you ever get a white stain where water has been on varnish or lacquer get yourself some Vaseline Petroleum Jelly and apply a nice thick coat to the area. Lay it flat for 12 to 18 hours then wipe it off clean. The white discoloring should be gone.

You can do the same with water-glass rings on tables and such. 

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Truth in that.
I just had not planned on the virginity getting lost so soon, and in such a dumbass manner.

46 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If you ever get a white stain where water has been on varnish or lacquer get yourself some Vaseline Petroleum Jelly and apply a nice thick coat to the area. Lay it flat for 12 to 18 hours then wipe it off clean. The white discoloring should be gone.

You can do the same with water-glass rings on tables and such. 

Good to know. Back when I was building and flying control line we would paint with dope, first nitrate and then color coats and clear overcoats with butyrate. Either one you had to be sure and not apply when the humidity was too low or it would blush (turn white). but a subsequent wet cost would bring it right back.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Truth in that.
I just had not planned on the virginity getting lost so soon, and in such a dumbass manner.

Oh, believe me. I know. ;)

Enjoy your new rifle, regardless. :)

Reminds me of a nice Beretta over-and-under of my dad's. After a morning of duck hunting, he loaded dogs and decoys in his car and set out down the highway. 

At about 50 mph, he had to firmly apply the brakes for an upcoming curve, and watched as that shotgun slid down the windshield, across the hood, and onto the roadway, probably at about 35 mph.....

Fixed it ok....

Archived