SASS Wire Forum

Is it wrong?

Dantankerous

Is it wrong to add a suppressor to a lever action or just plain bad manners? :o Maybe even a slight bit unethical from traditional lever action rifle standards? ;) I guess I didn't know, but a suppressed lever gun is now a thing.

I was thinking it's just wrong in about every way possible until I got bored and starting watching YT videos posted from guys who have done this and seem to be having a blast.

And of course I found out both Marlin and Henry are offering lever actions with factory threaded barrels, "tactical" (whatever that means) and suppressor ready.  The Marlin Dark series and the Henry X. Pistol and rifle calibers.

The more I thought about the abomination of blacking out and tacticooling a lever gun, the more I relaxed on the idea. At least into the "just another reason to buy another gun" thing. Certainly not practical for CAS but quite the possibility for other uses. And fun. Lots of folks have suppressors these days for pistol and rifle applications so why not expand that into lever guns? Apparently Marlin and Henry have taken that position and it has been a successful market for them. The Marlin Dark series has been impossible to find... they sold out quickly. None out there now.

Now I can't seem to stop toying with the idea. Why oh why, Lord? Another lever gun I want? Does this ever stop? :o

Not all states are suppressor friendly. Too bad. The "hearing conservation" argument to suppressors is waaaaaaay overshadowed by the anti-gunner's anti-everything platform. Apparently there are several European countries where one can buy, own and use a gun-muffler  easy-peasy, no silly NFA regulation. In the UK it is apparently considered polite to use a suppresor and apparently easier to get than a firearm.

A lever action with a suppressor? Hmmm. Maybe. Might just be fun. Now if we'd just get another stimulus check...:D

Pictures from interwebs.

proxy-image(5).jpg

proxy-image(6).jpg

proxy-image(8).jpg

proxy-image(9).jpg

proxy-image(10).jpg

proxy-image(11).jpg

It would probably be a really good wild-hog gun...

...beyond that, the only reason that I can even entertain as viable is "because you can" - and that is reason enough for me !

I think I want one too now that I think about it.

Watched an old Gunsmoke Show the other nite where a shooter was using a silencer.:mellow:

Largo

2 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

I shoot CCI quiet 22s in my Browning  level gun . the bullet hitting steel is louder that the shot .

I had a Marlin 39A with a heavy, long barrel, maybe a 24" barrel? Not certain anymore but the rifle had almost no muzzle blast at all - could barely hear it without any hearing protection. I had a guy ask me if it was suppressed and how. Long rifle .22 ammo was just quiet out of that rifle. No idea why. Sold the rifle. No idea why.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

I had a Marlin 39A with a heavy, long barrel, maybe a 24" barrel? Not certain anymore but the rifle had almost no muzzle blast at all - could barely hear it without any hearing protection. I had a guy ask me if it was suppressed and how. Long rifle .22 ammo was just quiet out of that rifle. No idea why. Sold the rifle. No idea why.

I have rem 22 with 24 " barrel Quiet 22s that sounds like a TV suppresser  my next project is to tune a 10-22 to run them 

I happen to think it looks ugly, but I also think I understand the logic behind it.  Adding the rails and threaded barrel allows one to use a lot of the different equipment options out there for the AR-15 market.  Mounting a scope or red dot becomes a lot easier with the rail on the top of the receiver and the rail on the bottom allows for a bipod or a light or a laser.

Of course Marketing got involved in trying to sell the gun to the "tacticool" crowd, but more sales are always a good thing for the gun industry.

Not for SASS competition.

CB

Any sexier?

proxy-image(12).jpg

Just too much?

proxy-image(13).jpg

9 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I don't know about "wrong" or "unethical," but it seems to me a lot like putting spinners and a hydraulic system on a conestoga wagon.

Just added that to my "do when bored" photoshop list. :lol:

Archived