SASS Wire Forum

One for the building contractors

Alpo

You have a house it has either vinyl siding or aluminum siding.

maxresdefault.jpg

You decide, for whatever reason, that you are going to replace all of the siding on the house.

Would you remove all of the siding first, or would you remove, say one wall at a time, put the new siding on it, and then clean off another wall, so the house always had siding on it?

There's a house down the street, and he pulled all the siding off and threw it in the big dumpster in his driveway. Now the house is covered with "foam underlayment". He has new siding on one of the short walls, but the front and back wall and the other side wall are still foam, and it's rained every day for the last four or five days.

Just seemed (to me, a non-builder) a dumb way to do it.

Seems right up there with - if you were going to paint the entire inside of your house - instead of moving the furniture out of one room, painting that room, then moving the furniture back in and emptying out a second room to paint it, taking all your furniture outside and setting it in the front yard until you get the entire interior painted (which, since you're doing it all by yourself, will take a week or two).

The picture is just one I found on the net. Just wanted something to make sure no one misunderstood what I meant by vinyl siding.

I'm pretty sure what the guy took off was vinyl because there was just one guy doing it and he was carrying great big pieces of it to the dumpster. Not heavy enough for Hardie board. And when it landed in the dumpster it sounded like plastic.

I would strip it all. Repair whats needs it, insulate, then side. The problem is the corners. They affect two sides each. Both need stripped to properly work the corners. 

That's just how I think though. I don't want to do repair four or six times. I don't want to insulate four or six times. I don't want to side four or six times. Once, once, once, once.

All weather dependent and subject to whatever my wife thinks I oughta do.....

4 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Whatever! I sure wouldn't do it this time of year.

He's in Florida.  NOW is when you want to do it. 

If you wait til the spring or summer, the thermometer and the humdity will be racing to 100 every day- and there's the chance of a hurricane.

The lowest pay crew would strip off the siding.  The experience and higher paid crew would hang the siding.

Dad built their house in the late 1940.  He had the vinyl siding installed on top of the oringinal wood siding.  Me I would have removed the wood siding, update the wiring and replaced the rock wool insulation with fiberglass.

No problem for me in a log house!!!!    :P

The corners and trim help hold vinyl in place. Therefore, it must all be removed.

With the hail in this part of the country vinyl siding looks like swiss cheese after a storm. Wind also rips it off regardless of how good it's installed.

The cement siding is becoming quite popular.

Archived