SASS Wire Forum

Dillon 550B question

Hoss

On 8/21/2019 at 8:42 AM, Son of the Midnight Star said:

I own two RL550B's and one thing I can tell you is get a manual. remove everything that is bolted to the frame, clean and lube everything. Then reassemble and properly tighten every fastener. Make your adjustments as per  the manual set up guide. and start loading. I use my presses to the point that this is a annual PM i do to the machines. This thing is a machine and if not adjusted and torqued properly it will do strange things. Once adjusted and torqued it will run a very long time with no adjustment needed. 

And the adventure continues!  

Spent 20 minutes with Dillon guy. We double checked dies, powder funnel, shell plate, locator pins. Readjusted everything. Still damaging cases. He is sending me an alignment tool. Hopefully this will get me on track!  When I set my brand new 650 up last year also had to get an alignment tool. Hopefully this will get me squared away! 

Will update then! Either you will see a YAHOO here or a Dillon 550B for sale on the SASS classifieds!!!!

13 hours ago, Hoss said:

And the adventure continues!  

Spent 20 minutes with Dillon guy. We double checked dies, powder funnel, shell plate, locator pins. Readjusted everything. Still damaging cases. He is sending me an alignment tool. Hopefully this will get me on track!  When I set my brand new 650 up last year also had to get an alignment tool. Hopefully this will get me squared away! 

Will update then! Either you will see a YAHOO here or a Dillon 550B for sale on the SASS classifieds!!!!

OR-you can send it to Dillon to be fixed-They have a forever warranty.

OLG

Well, I think I got it Going my way.  Used the alignment tool, adjusted everything, loaded up a dozen rounds. Seems to be fine. I’ll do a more extended loading session tomorrow. I limit myself to about an hour a sitting at the press. Much longer than that and I get frustrated. 

Hopefully I've got it whooped now. Thanks for all the advice. Now I just have to develop a good routine while loading. 

The shell plate flexing vertically is a problem with most of the Dillons.  My 650XL is no exception. 

I've always wanted to do a DIY upgrade by either 1) installing a ball bearing roller above and touching  the top of the shell plate, tracking inside the shell holder slots and located above (but inside) the priming pin position, or 2) install a small roller bearing beneath the shell plate near the seating die (opposite the priming pin) to vertically cross-brace the shell plate during priming.  I can't find a good place to attach (1), and I've hesitated on disassembling the loader to mill a seat for the (2) roller. 

I wish Dillon's engineers would design something like that, then I could just buy and install one, without making major DIY modifications.  

On 8/21/2019 at 10:15 AM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I'll get a few primers going into the brass not aligned and the primer gets ruined.

I'm not familiar with the 550, but on the 650XL, primer alignment can be affected by crud buildup on either the shell plate detent ball or the primer plate detent ball.  The crud can stop the two plates rotation prematurely.   I clean them after every few sessions with carburetor cleaner.  It usually fixes the problem.  

Thanks. I do know I get metal slivers in the primer "cup" on the 550 but that only usually gives me a little deformation in the primer.

I wouldn't think I have loaded enough through mine to be crudded up but maybe. I'll check it. Hate wasting primers.

+1 on keeping it clean. Also if you bell the mouth of your case just a tiny bit more - you should get rid of the majority of the lead shavings you are seeing. 

16 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

The shell plate flexing vertically is a problem with most of the Dillons.  My 650XL is no exception. 

I've always wanted to do a DIY upgrade by either 1) installing a ball bearing roller above and touching  the top of the shell plate, tracking inside the shell holder slots and located above (but inside) the priming pin position, or 2) install a small roller bearing beneath the shell plate near the seating die (opposite the priming pin) to vertically cross-brace the shell plate during priming.  I can't find a good place to attach (1), and I've hesitated on disassembling the loader to mill a seat for the (2) roller. 

I wish Dillon's engineers would design something like that, then I could just buy and install one, without making major DIY modifications.  

You mean one of these?

Shellplate Bearing Kit

Here is a link to another fix specifically for hte 650. https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/86570-fix-for-the-snapping-shellplate-on-a-650/

On 8/25/2019 at 6:49 PM, Hoss said:

Well finally got around to working with the 550. 

Solved one problem. My primer seating depth was because some moron put the shellplate on upside down.  The manual even warns about this!!!

onto problem 2. About every 5 or so rounds the expander/powder drop station will booger up a case. I’ve backed the die of to where there is no flair at all. Would have to hold Bullet on case to feed it into Bullet seating. Still happens. Adjust die down to minimum flair, still happens. 

And not every time, but about every 5 or so. 

54EFB85E-FCB5-46A4-B1B1-4A04AA3073EF.jpeg

I haven't read beyond this post yet, but noticed you are usiong the convenient shell pin tabs. On my SDB they frequently let the case slide back a bit and cause what you are showing. Remove the tab and all will be good. You just need to keep a good finger nail to remove the pins. A bit of a hassle compared to the tab, but much less irritating!. Good Luck

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You mean one of these?

Shellplate Bearing Kit

Here is a link to another fix specifically for hte 650. https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/86570-fix-for-the-snapping-shellplate-on-a-650/

Thank you, THANK YOU! 

Already ordered it.  Made my day. 

Archived