SASS Wire Forum

Scofflaws

Subdeacon Joe

With the passing of the new law in January, requiring all vehicles to have at least a temporary license plate affixed to it, we are finding violations like these. The fact the registration has not been paid in several years, along with the intentional concealment of the license plate, the vehicle was impounded until all fees and fines are brought up to date. The grace period has lapsed and if you have not had a chance to put on or display your license plates, today would be a good day. Safe travels everyone.

Image may contain: car and outdoor
Image may contain: car, sky and outdoor

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Thank God there aren't more dangerous criminals loose in California,  Why, there may not be enough LEOs to handle it all.

Actually those are some of the worse. No insurance and all but guaranteed to flee the scene of an accident. They are the reason your insurance costs are so high. You are being robbed and there is nothing you can do about it. Even moving out of the PRoK doesn't help because they are everywhere.

BTW I have been the victim of three in the last 10 years.

First one stole my insurance identity and was involved in a head on collision that killed people in the other car. They fled the scene and were not apprehended. Truck involved was identical to mine except for 2 digits of the VIN. That was 9 years ago and it still comes up from time to time requiring me to fill out a lot of new forms and send a lot of documentation to prove it was not me.

Second hit my truck while I was on vacation. Ruined the trip. They attempted to flee the scene but turned down a dead end road. Once the cops arrived and took all the statements including witness statements that they tried to flee. They let her drive away in a car with no insurance and an expired license. Cost me a  few thousand dollars right off the top plus increased insurance premiums.

Third I am still fighting as a wonderful unnamed person at the DMV sold my renewal sticker to some low life rather than mail it to me. DMV will not issue another one. So every time a cop notices that my sticker is expired I get pulled over and have to show my receipt where I paid plus all the emails and phone documentation I have from arguing with the DMV. Same thing has happened to at least two other people that I work with.

One of my pet peeves is that society thinks white collar crime is victimless when the pain and suffering it causes lasts for years and years.

You mean before January there was no requirement to have a tag on your car??

18 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

You mean before January there was no requirement to have a tag on your car??

You had to have a tag, but before you could, on a newly purchased vehicle, have a Dealers Report of Sale taped to the inside of the windscreen.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/templp

Vehicles sold by California licensed dealers and lessor-retailers after January 1, 2019 will be required to display temporary paper license plates or permanent license plates issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Assembly Bill 516 mandates this new requirement. DMV will no longer print numbered paper Report of Sale forms for use by dealers. When a dealer reports a sale electronically, the system will generate a numbered report of sale form. When consumers purchase a vehicle from a dealership, the dealer will be required to generate the report of sale form and attach the temporary identification portion of the report of sale form to the windshield of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not already display the required number of permanent license plates, the dealer will also be required to print and issue temporary license plates and attach them to the vehicle before leaving the dealership. 

Dealers must use the electronic system through a connection provided by either a First-Line Service Provider or DMV’s contracted vendor, Fairfax Imaging, Inc. The forms incorporated into the system are the REG 397, REG 397A, REG 51, REG 396, and REG 398. The system will also produce temporary license plates when required.

Dealers must print temporary license plates on special paper that meets DMV specifications. The paper is available directly from the first-line service providers and Fairfax. Temporary license plates will display the following information: temporary license plate number, report of sale number, Vehicle Identification Number, Year Model, Make, and an expiration date that is 90 days after the date of sale. Valid temporary license plates will include security features.

Customers who need replacement temporary license plates will return to the dealership where they purchased the vehicle to request replacement or duplicate temporary license plates.

The vehicle sale information reported by the dealers electronically will be maintained by DMV in a database that will be available to parking and /toll agencies, law enforcement, and other entities authorized by law to obtain such information. Once a vehicle registration record is created for the vehicle and permanent license plates are issued, the database will be updated with the permanent license plate number and the authorized user querying the information will be able to query the permanent license plate number.

Background:

Assembly Bill (AB) 516 (chapter 90, Statutes of 2016) requires DMV to develop and maintain a dealer reporting system that will allow all dealers or lessor-retailers to electronically report the sale of a vehicle and produce temporary license plates. AB 516 restricts access to the information contained in the dealer reporting system to authorized users of the department’s Vehicle Registration and Occupational Licensing databases.

There had been a grace period while everyone got up to speed on it.  Said period has expired.

23 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You had to have a tag, but before you could, on a newly purchased vehicle, have a Dealers Report of Sale taped to the inside of the windscreen.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/templp

There had been a grace period while everyone got up to speed on it.  Said period has expired.

Seems like a lot of extra bureaucracy and paper pushing for what could have been a simple system.  In MA, you or the dealer take the sale paperwork to the local RMV office, pay the sales tax and the registration fees. and come back with a permanent set of plates.  No muss, no fuss.  No such thing as a temporary plates or paper tags.  And many fewer cars running around with invalid registrations or no insurance.

LL

Loohole LaRue: That's the same system here in Ontario, Canada.

We still end up with a lot of scofflaws, driving with stolen or "found" plates, long expired tags, no insurance etc but the new in car detection systems are picking these off.

55 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Seems like a lot of extra bureaucracy and paper pushing

"Extra bureaucracy?"  In California there is no "extra bureaucracy." There is as much as they can pile on and 10% more for good measure.  Bureaucracy, taxes, fees, everything to put more burden on the honest citizen.

Now the new trick is to make a temporary tag and mount it over your expired license, just like the dealer tag in the top photo.

I see them all the time on the freeway. The wind picks up the paper temp tag and you can see a regular license plate below it.

I am currently a "scofflaw". I have not registered my motorcycle on principal.

CA wants sales / use taxes on it. The bike wasn't bought here so why should they get paid taxes on it. My other vehicles are registered, they had been previously registered in CA so I can't really lie about their worth or taxation as the DMV has prior records. My bike is the only vehicle that is under financing so I don't have a free and clear title...yet. The DMV wants me to pay adjusted sales taxes on it and I just don't want to. CA had no part in the purchase, sale or anything except they want money for nothing. To hell with that. I am debating paying off the bike then registering it and declaring the value to be $250. When I talked with a lady at AAA she said that since I paid $8200 for the bike in 2017 CA will prorate my taxes for it...I told her the bike was bought in Oregon and she said it didn't matter. To register my bike they want $870. :blink:Screw Them! I'll ride this thing on Oregon plates until I get pulled over or I pay it off and then register it...Now I just jinxed myself...

Something else that actually just dawned on me. If I pay it off my finance company will send me the title...The Oregon title...Either way I am screwed. CA will still now about the financing...

I am going to go wash my bike and do some chores. I am making my BP go up thinking about this.

First it's like a law so if people aren't complying then ticket them and or tow their car away. Everyone of my vehicles are up to date on registration and insurance so yes I want the law enforced. If you can't afford to pay it how'd you buy it?

As to sales tax buying from another State, most States now have agreements to collect taxes for your State at the time of sale. They then send the money to your State. Pat you might do the math between the ticket for an expired registration from another State, unpaid sales taxes, late registration fees, as in most States require you to register within 30 days, it may cost you more than just paying the tax.I went to Oregon to buy a car trailer because it was the model I wanted and hey lets avoid taxes.Went to register it here in Nevada and nope you owe us $X.

Ike

17 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

First it's like a law so if people aren't complying then ticket them and or tow their car away. Everyone of my vehicles are up to date on registration and insurance so yes I want the law enforced. If you can't afford to pay it how'd you buy it?

As to sales tax buying from another State, most States now have agreements to collect taxes for your State at the time of sale. They then send the money to your State. Pat you might do the math between the ticket for an expired registration from another State, unpaid sales taxes, late registration fees, as in most States require you to register within 30 days, it may cost you more than just paying the tax.I went to Oregon to buy a car trailer because it was the model I wanted and hey lets avoid taxes.Went to register it here in Nevada and nope you owe us $X.

Ike

You have a point, but a purchase made in another state should not be taxed in a new state if the person was a resident of the state where the purchase was made, period. Now, if they want to skew logic and call it a “Use Tax” based on depreciation, which they do, then I would be a little less resistant, but they want to depreciate the bike from a new price in 2017 as if I bought the bike new in CA and their formula for depreciation would be a used car dealer’s wet dream. In other words they screw You on what they assess versus the reality of it’s worth.

On 6/29/2019 at 8:03 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

No insurance and all but guaranteed to flee the scene of an accident.

Not around here.  The first call is for an ambulance, the second to a lawyer.  Then, maybe, somebody calls the police.

Archived