SASS Wire Forum
Marshal Fire, SASS 10064

777 12 ga loads?

I have a bottle of 777 FFG and thought that I would use it for some 12 ga loads. Could not find any loading data on the hodogon site. Was wondering if someone has a proven load. Hull type, amount of 777, wad type and amount of shot. I am playing with roll crimping the shells just for something different.

Thanks in Advance

MarshalFire

1.9cc Lee Dipper with 7/8 oz shot and grey wad in a AA Hull..

Kajun

The few times in shot black

I loaded 70 grains 777 with Winchester red wad  1-1/8 oz shot.  STS hulls

It took down the targets like a boss.

was a fairly stout load. But not punishing like 3 dram factory gun club ammo 

Edited by Three Gun Cole

10 minutes ago, Three Gun Cole said:

The few times in shot black

I loaded 70 grains 777 with Winchester red was and 1-1/8 oz shot.

It took down the targets like a boss.

was a fairly stout load. But not punishing like 3 dram factory gun club ammo 

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you a scan of Hodgdon's load info for the above load.  It patterns just like Gun Club loads and I use it for Cowboy Trap.  You can knock down cowboy shotgun targets with lighter loads.

35-37 gn will do nicely.  use a wad that will come up to just below the crimp, fill it with shot and crimp it. it don't make a Tinkers damn how much shot..  Few BP loads will do a better job for this game. I prefer Green Hulls, but AA will work fine. Don't be afraid to adjust the charge a bit in order to get the wad to line up. This is not Rocket Science.

Snakebite

Edited by Snakebite
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

35-37 gn will do nicely.  use a wad that will come up to just below the crimp, fill it with shot and crimp it. it don't make a Tinkers damn how much shot..  Few BP loads will do a better job for this game. I prefer Green Hulls, but AA will work fine. Don't be afraid to adjust the charge a bit in order to get the wad to line up. This is not Rocket Science.

Snakebite

+1, my experience too.

Much is said about 777 and its "hotness", but I've never had that experience as I don't load warthog loads. Volume for volume loads compared to BP, I don't think the difference is worth mentioning. I loaded a lot of 777 in my transition to BP and still like the stuff. Having said that, I prefer BP to subs for the smoke and flame. 

YMMV 

• Like 2

When I was shooting black powder I had a 777 load that was very pleasant to shoot. You don't use as much volume w/ 777 so you can use regular wads.

Was easy to load too ... just pump 'em out on the MEC ... just like a smokeless load. 

(Of course Federal has the smokeless metro loads now w/ 1 1/8 that go 900 fps so very similar).

For - Win/Rem hulls - use WT12 wad and a 33 mec bushing (40.3 equiv bp vol) - 1 1/8 ounce shot - this guy went 850 fps
For - Federal hulls - use an S3 wad and the same 33 mec bushing - same weight shot - 1  1/8 - and it went 850 fps as well.

Knocked every thing down .. a real softie  ... lots of smoke ...

Edited by Patagonia Pete
Edit: A Mec 33 bushing is 2.7cc

14 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Snakebite

Yep...maybe 3-4 grains less for T7-2F.  Works for me.