Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Lawman Mays

Marlin 1894 - One piece firing pin

Recommended Posts

I bought a Marlin 94 a few weeks ago. It was quite stiff out of the box, so a got the light spring kit and the one piece firing pin. I am in the process of installing the one piece firing pin. There were two pins that had to come out. Do both of these pins go back in or just the middle one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I thought. Thanks guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You only need just the one for it to function, but you can put the second one back in if you want  to. I did just so I wouldn't lose it.

You might also want to install a Ranger Point Extractor. I have in both of my Marlins and it is worth the money IMHO.

Edited by High Spade Mikey Wilson
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

You only need just the one for it to function, but you can put the second one back in if you want  to. I did just so I wouldn't lose it.

You might also want to install a Ranger Point Extractor. I have in both of my Marlins and it is worth the money IMHO.

X2 on the RPP extractor.

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/shop-all/marlin-1894-feed-issues-m-94-extractor-claw-2017-all-new-design/

 

OLG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

 

Lumpy, I bought two for my 38 spl CBC's and need to get them in before season starts up here. Any tips on installing so I don't bugger up anything?

Thanx,

JC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joe Cross, SASS #13848 L said:

 

Lumpy, I bought two for my 38 spl CBC's and need to get them in before season starts up here. Any tips on installing so I don't bugger up anything?

Thanx,

JC

Pretty straight forward. Just knock out the pin.

Use a Q-tip to clean out the extractor hole.

Just watch that spring-It wants to escape.......:lol:

My wife's:wub:, .38 CBC will now feed SWC bullets, just as smoothly as it does RNFP. Thanks to the RPP extractor.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Pretty straight forward. Just knock out the pin.

Use a Q-tip to clean out the extractor hole. 

Just watch that spring-It wants to escape.......:lol:

My wife's:wub:, .38 CBC will now feed SWC bullets, just as smoothly as it does RNFP. Thanks to the RPP extractor.

OLG

 

Thanx, OLG. It's gonna be below zero weekend up here, so it's as good a time as any.   Think I'll throw a tarp over me!   :D

JC

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lawman,

Before you try to insert the 'rear' roll pin back int he bolt, make sure your 1-piece firing pin has a ''cut out'

section in the rear of it to allow that other roll pin to be used.

 

Some 1-piece firing pins are completely rounded at the rear section and will not allow that pin to

be used.

 

As others have stated, just the one roll pin (in the middle) will work.

 

..........Widder

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lawman Mays said:

I bought a Marlin 94 a few weeks ago. It was quite stiff out of the box, so a got the light spring kit and the one piece firing pin. I am in the process of installing the one piece firing pin. There were two pins that had to come out. Do both of these pins go back in or just the middle one?

Is this one of the “new” Marlins?...as in newly manufactured?

 

Other than stiff, how does it shoot?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Widder, the back part is rounded. I put the one pin in the middle of the bolt back in, went to the range today and it fired just fine. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Is this one of the “new” Marlins?...as in newly manufactured?

Yes, this is a new Marlin 1894 Cowboy Model, .357/.38 made in late 2018, based on the serial number. After installing the lighter springs and one piece firing pin, it shoots fine. However, I have two objections that I need to address. (1). The spring in the magazine tube is long. It is very hard to push in the 9th and 10th rounds through the loading gate. I cut off about an inch of that spring which helped, but it's still hard to get the 9th and 10th rounds in. (2). The safety on the bottom tang. You really have to close down on the lever pretty hard before the gun will fire. Billy the Avenger has a video on YouTube on how to loosen that spring. I will try that next.

 

I also use a Codymatic 73 in .44-40 which is smoother and faster than the Marlin, but if I can loosen the safety spring, the Marlin would be close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take the butt-stock off and you can 'relax' the tension on the safety plunger spring.

See part #76.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/marlin-model-1894.html?page=4

Get rid of the POS plastic follower.

Get one of slicks SS followers.

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SlickMercantile.html

Shorten the mag spring to where it sticks out of the mag tube about 5 inches is all.

OLG

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lawman,

I 'think' Cowboy Carty sells a spring kit that includes a better 'lever/trigger safety' spring.

 

ALSO, its safe to cut your mag tube spring to a total length of about 3 cartridge lengths longer than the 

mag tube.   It being a new spring, I would not cut it shorter until it has time to 'set', as some springs

tend to do.

 

Hey, pick up the phone and give me a shout if you got any questions.   I can share some pointers

on the phone that might help.

 

..........Widder

865 / 696-1996

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Widder--you are always so dang helpful! Slick has that lighter spring in his kit as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Eyesa.   I didn't know that about Slick's kit.

Kinda funny in that I order stuff from Slick periodically and even talk with him frequently.

 

..........Widder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Thanks Eyesa.   I didn't know that about Slick's kit.

Kinda funny in that I order stuff from Slick periodically and even talk with him frequently.

 

..........Widder

 

When I ordered the kit from him for my nephews Marlin, the new spring for the trigger safety were part of the kit. Was way easier than bending the original!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lawman Mays said:

Yes, this is a new Marlin 1894 Cowboy Model, .357/.38 made in late 2018, based on the serial number.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

 

I am considering one of these myself. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you. I appreciate it.

 

I am considering one of these myself. 

Don't buy a Remlin, unless you have done a 'hands-on' close inspection of the rifle you plan to buy.

OLG

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lumby and Widder,

Thanks so much for your useful information.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lawman Mays said:

Lumby and Widder,

Thanks so much for your useful information.

Please give an update when the mods are done.

Be sure to check ALL screws after each range session.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Talking about Marlins. I have a early model Marlin carbine micro grooved barrel no cross bolt safety.I have made all the changes most people do to them, still not happy with the way it run. Will this gun take the late type carrier with just the button detent on the side? I used The Smith Shop stainless mag spring and follower made the gun much easier to load.

Thanks for any help.

   Rob 

Edited by Rough 'N Ready Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Talking about Marlins. I have a early model Marlin carbine micro grooved barrel no cross bolt safety.I have made all the changes most people do to them, still not happy with the way it run. Will this gun take the late type carrier with just the button detent on the side? I used The Smith Shop stainless mag spring and follower made the gun much easier to load.

Thanks for any help.

   Rob 

I have an 1982 vintage Marlin carbine, micro-grooved barrel, no cross bolt safety.  The carrier that's in it just has a button detent on the side.  

Just curious... what's happening with your rifle?  Is it that the timing's off a bit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Talking about Marlins. I have a early model Marlin carbine micro grooved barrel no cross bolt safety.I have made all the changes most people do to them, still not happy with the way it run. Will this gun take the late type carrier with just the button detent on the side? I used The Smith Shop stainless mag spring and follower made the gun much easier to load.

Thanks for any help.

   Rob 

How about some details on these issues so we don't have to guess.

Caliber?

Is it FTF, FTE ???

Details on loads.

I been using the M/94 I bought new in 1982 in SASS for over 15 yrs now.

Use a 1 piece FP and a Ranger Point Precision extractor.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rifle is a 38 Sp./357 Mag.

Not sure what FTF or FTE means.

I use 38 special brass & 125 grain bear creek rnfp.

I also have a 1 piece firing pin & a Ranger Point Extractor, but I'm not sold on it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

The rifle is a 38 Sp./357 Mag.

Not sure what FTF or FTE means.

I use 38 special brass & 125 grain bear creek rnfp.

I also have a 1 piece firing pin & a Ranger Point Extractor, but I'm not sold on it yet.

FTF=Failure to Fire or Failure to Feed.

FTE=Failure to Extract/Eject.

What is the COAL of your loaded round?

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Lumpy,

     oal is 1.487 this works find in all my other Marlins. The carbine has failure feeding some times, every once in awhile. That's why I'm thinking the new type carrier if it would work in this gun may help.

  Rob 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

 Lumpy,

     oal is 1.487 this works find in all my other Marlins. The carbine has failure feeding some times, every once in awhile. That's why I'm thinking the new type carrier if it would work in this gun may help.

  Rob 

Take it on out to 1.510 for a few rounds and see.

Then if it's a no go-

Drop down to 1.460-1.470.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

 Lumpy,

     oal is 1.487 this works find in all my other Marlins. The carbine has failure feeding some times, every once in awhile. That's why I'm thinking the new type carrier if it would work in this gun may help.

  Rob 

Also-try swapping carriers around, to see what happens.

OLG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 10:42 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Please give an update when the mods are done.

Lumpy, Widder et al,

I finished the modifications which include,

1. Lighter hammer spring.

2. Lighter lever plunger spring.

3. Loosening the lever safety spring. There is a video on YouTube which shows how to do it. Part #76.

4. One piece firing pin.

5. Slicking up internal parts that rub against one another when operating the gun. Sanded them with #6 sandpaper, then rubbed down and lightly oiled.

Put everything back together. Had to watch the video a couple of times to complete this process. But, now I know how to do it.

Went to the range this morning and she is running fast and smooth. No jams, misfires or anything else. I ran it about 95% of my match speed and all A-okay.

Lumpy, this is a new Marlin, but the word Remlin is not anywhere on the Rifle or the box. I believe with all the complaints after Remington took over, the company addressed the issues. Remington is now making a good rifle, but for our sport, the mods I made are essential.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great news :excl:

IF-it should become necessary to stiffen the hammer spring up after it takes a set.

A #10 AN washer, works very well as a shim. ;)

As long as Remmy makes Marlins-They will be called "Remlins" if the BBL is stamped REM. :lol:

OLG

 

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.