SASS Wire Forum

Blown revolvers

Chance Ramsay

APP is sort of a grey powder, any chance a smokeless powder was mistaken for APP?  Or perhaps a smokeless powder was accidentally added into your APP?  A full case of smokeless or a duplex load could easily blow an open top.  

1 hour ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I missed the original thread, anyone have a link?

Goody, it popped up in the middle of this blown revolver discussion.  I agree with others that APP didn't blow up the guns.  Somehow, some way, smokeless got loaded.

5 hours ago, Chance Ramsay said:

Will I said I would tell everyone what I found out about the blown open tops Uberti said nice to know you reloads Taylor's said powder or I crimped the bullets to tight  A.P.P. still deciding

Chance

Wow, I have been using OT for 7 years now.

Never an issue with bullets, yours or mine.

Nobody crimps more than me.

any chance of an over rotation?

6 hours ago, Chance Ramsay said:

Will I said I would tell everyone what I found out about the blown open tops Uberti said nice to know you reloads Taylor's said powder or I crimped the bullets to tight  A.P.P. still deciding

Chance

Just out of curiosity what color was the lid on the APP bottle? The last time I ordered some it came with a brass color metal lid on the plastic bottle. All my past orders had black plastic lids.

I am almost out of this lot of powder and will not be getting APP again. This last lot of powder seems inconsistent, and it is "darker colored" than past lots of powder. I have never had any kind of overpressure mishaps, but this lot of powder is different from the others in the past.

Also this latest lot if left in the powder hopper overnight turns into a solid clump. The past lots did not do this overnight. 

Sorry to hear of your misfortune and I hope everyone is ok.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Goody, it popped up in the middle of this blown revolver discussion.  I agree with others that APP didn't blow up the guns.  Somehow, some way, smokeless got loaded.

That's what it sounds like to me. Perhaps mistaken about what powder was in the hopper?

Forget "too tight a crimp"!  Can't happen. But a double-charge of smokeless, double-bullet (from a progressive press), or too light a crimp (allowing the bullet to jump into the forcing cone and stopping before the smokeless powder comes up to 5,000-7,000 psi required for stable burning, followed by remaining powder taking off) CAN cause overpressures. Open top or no, overpressures that allow the case to split, hot gases cutting through chamber walls, will take the top off the cylinder, topstrap or no.

A "Too Tight a Crimp" .... that's rightly IGNORANT.  Can't happen (Trailrider just said that too).  Should have just just given a  ....

PLUS ONE to Trailrider.   I seriously doubt the chunks out of those .38 caliber chambers were blown out by APP.  I would believe contaminated by an amount of Smokeless.  The Open Top in .38 has a very thick chamber wall.  

Since however, I wasn't there and able to inspect the leftovers, everything is just a WAG (Technical Military Acronym for "Wild A$$ Guess").  Would suppose though, a change of shorts was Du Rigger. 

Archived