SASS Wire Forum

age categories

richard J. Poggi

We usually think that age categories protect the older shooters from the more agile and less arthritic younger shooters, but that is not always the case.  There are quite a number of capable competitive old folks out there, and if they compete in a younger age category, just to prove they “still got it”,  the younger shooters may feel abused.  It’s a case of “Hey, you have your category, let us have ours!”

Most of the time I’m in a blackpowder category, but if I want to shoot in an age based category I will shoot what I really am, an Elder Statesman.  I don’t want to step on any toes.

I too believe in shooting in a category that is available to your age or older. No age jumping for me. The only other categories I could shoot are BW (man, that hurts me feets) and FC (I don't know if I can trust Hubby to load my ammo after the last (and only) time I shot it. (I can't shoot Duelist or GF.)

After many years, even outgrowing a beautiful Buscadero :blush:, finally having everything needed for BW, and having shot it a few times, I may just stick with that. Dang, I don't know which is worse, sore feet or admitting how old I am. :o I hit a new category in April and the competition is stiff there. ;)

7 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I too believe in shooting in a category that is available to your age or older. No age jumping for me. The only other categories I could shoot are BW (man, that hurts me feets) and FC (I don't know if I can trust Hubby to load my ammo after the last (and only) time I shot it. (I can't shoot Duelist or GF.)

After many years, even outgrowing a beautiful Buscadero :blush:, finally having everything needed for BW, and having shot it a few times, I may just stick with that. Dang, I don't know which is worse, sore feet or admitting how old I am. :o I hit a new category in April and the competition is stiff there. ;)

It's CHRISTMAS!!! Time to get yourself a comfortable pair of BW boots!!;)

Three of the four metro Atlanta clubs offer ‘Shootist’ as a category. It’s for faster shooters who are focused on winning the overall, not a category. Any shooting style is allowed, typically we have 4-5 shooters in that category who could easily win if they competed in an age category but choose to compete against each other instead.

11 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Three of the four metro Atlanta clubs offer ‘Shootist’ as a category. It’s for faster shooters who are focused on winning the overall, not a category. Any shooting style is allowed, typically we have 4-5 shooters in that category who could easily win if they competed in an age category but choose to compete against each other instead.

They already are competing for "overall" whether in an age category or not when these ego's  shooters participate, so what's the gain? .... :mellow:

That doesn't seem  much of the "Cowboy way" IMO

6 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

They already are competing for "overall" whether in an age category or not when these ego's  shooters participate, so what's the gain? .... :mellow:

That doesn't seem  much of the "Cowboy way" IMO

That’s an interesting way to look at it. I believe the gain is that more shooters have an opportunity to win a category. You’re right they already are competing for overall, but currently there is no truly ‘open’ category where all can compete. Cowboy is as close as it gets. 

The intent was that rather than have the same four or five people win 49er, Senior, B-Western, Silver Senior and Duelist every year those guys would compete against each other in one category and leave the others open and more competitive.  

I’m not sure why that’s not ‘cowboy’.

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

That’s an interesting way to look at it. I believe the gain is that more shooters have an opportunity to win a category. You’re right they already are competing for overall, but currently there is no truly ‘open’ category where all can compete. Cowboy is as close as it gets. 

The intent was that rather than have the same four or five people win 49er, Senior, B-Western, Silver Senior and Duelist every year those guys would compete against each other in one category and leave the others open and more competitive.  

Oh sure...49r's, Seniors, Silver Seniors, etc would love nothing better than to compete with the younger folks for a title.  

Just because you win your category doesn't mean you're competitive outside your category.

Then you have those that win a category abandoned by the guy/gal that is now in this super performer category realising that they would of got whipped if they hadn't gone into this super duper performer category... Feeling like SASS affirmative action recipients.

Great idea...

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Im just not onboard with the whole "open" category mindset that seems to be in vogue currently. I listened to this being discussed during the TG meeting this year at EOT, and it seemed like a solution to a problem that few if any knew existed!

Its not a negative reflection on those hyper competitive shooters, but on the surface appears to be an elistest category which doesn't appear to offer any positive impact on our sport. The comarade aspect is a large part of why many of us play the game IMO.

I'm of the opinion that offering an " open" category actually would have the opposite effect for some shooters. I want to regularly compete with the known top competitors in my state / region in my chosen category to keep them on their toes and in the process I too gain additional experience!  Sometimes I've had my backside kicked pretty good, and a few times I was the cowboy that did the kickin, either way I experienced some great competition and made some new friends in the end. 

I guess that's what I am referring to about the Cowboy Way 

PS.. We don't need another category ;)

7 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

Im just not onboard with the whole "open" category mindset that seems to be in vogue currently. I listened to this being discussed during the TG meeting this year at EOT, and it seemed like a solution to a problem that few if any knew existed!

Its not a negative reflection on those hyper competitive shooters, but on the surface appears to be an elistest category which doesn't appear to offer any positive impact on our sport. The comarade aspect is a large part of why many of us play the game IMO.

I'm of the opinion that offering an " open" category actually would have the opposite effect for some shooters. I want to regularly compete with the known top competitors in my state / region in my chosen category to keep them on their toes and in the process I too gain additional experience!  Sometimes I've had my backside kicked pretty good, and a few times I was the cowboy that did the kickin, either way I experienced some great competition and made some new friends in the end. 

I guess that's what I am referring to about the Cowboy Way 

PS.. We don't need another category ;)

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion on categories just as you’re entitled to accuse others of not being ‘cowboy’.  

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion on categories just as you’re entitled to accuse others of not being ‘cowboy’.  

He's simply stating what his belief is in what "cowboy" is... No accusations...;)

Hi Folks,

I've only had one experience with an open category at an annual. It was about 15 years ago. As the match committee bought awards for it and no one signed up, one of the committee called people until she got one man and one woman who were willing to change to the open category.  I don't think that reflected the intent of the category and it wasn't fair to all of the people she didn't call. She, in effect selected the category winner.

It worked well for me as I got a first instead of a second. The woman beat me and came from my category.:o :rolleyes:

I think that the Overall Winner coming from any category works fine. That person could come from Duelist, GF, and, most often some, age-based category.

Regards,

Allie

The only thing I don't like is someone shooting an age based category that isn't their age, say a 49'er in Wrangler. Especially when said person wins the category. Shoot your own age category.

Maybe instead of age based, have categories based on years competing in cas... Novice (1 or less), amateur(2-3), semi pro(3-5), pro(5+), and elite for anyone that won overall in an annual match or shoots sub 20 sec stages consistently...

3 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

The only thing I don't like is someone shooting an age based category that isn't their age, say a 49'er in Wrangler. Especially when said person wins the category. Shoot your own age category.

Maybe instead of age based, have categories based on years competing in cas... Novice (1 or less), amateur(2-3), semi pro(3-5), pro(5+), and elite for anyone that won overall in an annual match or shoots sub 20 sec stages consistently...

The key word is "competing." Many of  the folks that have been shooting for years don't compete with anyone except themselves.

I do agree with people shooting within their own age groups, it would give us a better understanding of the true age based category champions rather than spreading them around and beating up on younger shooters. Perhaps, an "I don't care where I finish, and I'll shoot as slow as I want, just so I have fun" category.

9 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Jeesh..... I didn't accuse anybody personally of anything, just the IDEA of some specialized super overall category which in the end just dilutes the competitive experience for all IMO.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas and we get to meet up some time out there. Take care cowboy :)

1 minute ago, Captain Clark said:

Jeesh..... I didn't accuse anybody personally of anything, just the IDEA of some specialized super overall category which in the end just dilutes the competitive experience for all IMO.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas and we get to meet up some time out there. Take care cowboy :)

Thank you.  Merry Christmas to you as well.

Archived