SASS Wire Forum

"I Took Out Another Grenade Threw It At Them"

Subdeacon Joe

found on Facebook

"I went to the edge of the bunker to take his gun and discovered there was a wire mesh in front of him to protect him from grenades. That is why my grenades were bouncing back.

I took out my khukuri, the knife Gurkhas are famous for, and cut through the mesh. As I was snatching the gun off the fallen man, two enemy soldiers came up from behind and tried to capture me.

I had left my weapon outside and all I had at my disposal was the khukuri. I beheaded one of them and hit the second one on his shoulder - I had to cut him several times before he also died.

Suddenly, a third enemy appeared, but I cut him with my khukuri too. Others from the trench followed, but I kept slashing them with my khukuri.

When there were too many of them, I took out another grenade threw it at them. Then it was all quite." - Lt. Tul Bahadur Pun, 6th Gurkha Rifles, Victoria Cross Recipient (1944).
Photo depicts the armed security detail assigned to his balls.

www.zerofoxtrot.com

Image may contain: 1 person

This is in the UK and the guards are "Bobbies"

They are actually there to protect anyone who tries to mess with him.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:12 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Gurkhas and Sikhs, no one to mess with.  I never knew a Gurkha, but have known everal Sikhs.

When the Gurkhas took over border duties on the North West Frontier, the Pathans (called Pashtuns now) would call down from their hilltop strong points asking them to go away and send back the 'red turban men' (Sikhs) instead.:huh:

The 5th Royal Gorkha Rifles (Frontier Force) had their regimental center in Abbottabad and it stayed on the Punjab frontier for like 90 years.  The Afghans in general, and Pashtuns in particular, have a reason to know them well.

I would think from that day on he carries that khukuri and yes no one should ever mess with this guy and don't ever ask to see his khukuri, he just might show you.

If he show you his Khukri, he will prick his finger before he sheaths it.

It must draw blood once drawn.

The kukri has somehow produced a fertile crop of myths and legends in the western world; and the most impossibly wild amongst them are the most tenaciously believed. Two already mentioned are that a kukri once drawn in whatever circumstances must taste blood before it is resheathed. Also that a Gurkha, if he possibly can, will take careful aim through the symbolic “kaura” or notch and then hurl the weapon like a boomerang, snick off the enemy’s head and casually snatch the kukri out of the air as it returns. If the first of these were true no Gurkha would survive to adulthood: He would lose pints of blood every day as he chopped wood, sharpened a wooden peg, opened a tin of beans and slashed down encroaching undergrowth. After each task he would have to shed some of his own blood. The second fails to stand the test of a little thought. Much as anyone would hate to be in the path of a flung kukri, one would hate much more to oppose one in the hand of an angry Gurkha.

6 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

If he show you his Khukri, he will prick his finger before he sheaths it.

It must draw blood once drawn.

Same s true of Sikhs.  Even their little jewelry knife ( a Sikh never goes anywhere without a knife) must draw blood before it is returned to its sheath..... and don't even think about trying to touch one.

On 12/2/2018 at 6:03 AM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

This is in the UK and the guards are "Bobbies"

They are actually there to protect anyone who tries to mess with him.

Given that it's the UK he probably had to register himself as a deadly weapon. The Bobbies are there to see that he doesn't fall into the wrong hands. :rolleyes:

It's shameful what has become of the "Land of Hope and Glory"

While the story is very likely true, it is not the action for which he received the Victoria Cross for, that was won while he was a Chindit in the  3rd Battalion/6th Gurkha Rifles, part of the 77 Indian Infantry Brigade commanding by Brigadier Mike Calvert.

Link to the citation in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tul_Bahadur_Pun#Citation

The above matches the citation listed in the book "The Story of Gurkha VCs" which was published by the Gurkha Museum in England.

Archived