SASS Wire Forum

Firearm...Shooters choice question?

Widder, SASS #59054

If stage instructions state "Firearms order, Shooters Choice", can a shooter split the Shotgun or Pistol

usage?

EXAMPLE:  shooter starts on the left with SG with 2 rounds at a couple KD's.   Then the shooter moves (if required)

and shoots rifle and/or pistols, then picks up SG to engage remaining KD's.

Would this be allowable OR, once the shooters starts with the SG, would they have to complete 'the string' with the SG before using rifle and pistols?

NO, this didn't happen to me nor at any recent match but rather came up in a conversation with another Cowboy

who had been told 2 different opinions by knowledgeable pards   (I ain't one of them)

One opinion is that once the shooter decided to start with the SG, ALL the SG targets are suppose to be engaged before shooting another firearm.

The OTHER opinion is that the wording of "Firearms order, Shooters Choice" allows the shooter to use their Pistols/ Rifle/ Shotgun

in the order of their choosing, even if they choose to split em up.

What would be the correct interpretation of these type instructions?

..........Widder

My favorite Stage Writer gives us a lot of "Shooter's Choice" stages.  "IF" the stage instructions state "shooters" choice only, it's "run what ya brung"  However .... "IF" the stage instructions state "knock down four shotgun targets,"  when you get too the shotgun, gotta knock down all four right there.

I am unaware of a specific SASS rule or convention in this instance.  May well depend on where ya shoot too.  Any Order" does not absolve devoting from the shooter's category.

America is the "land of the free" and the "home of the brave."  If you're going to free, you have to be brave.  Shooter's Choice, besides being a good barrel cleaning product, means just that.  Period.  Shoot 'em how you see fit.   Even for someone as contrary as I am, it would be foolhardy to shoot only 2 SG targets, transition to another firearm, then back to get the 2nd or 3rd pairs... likewise, it the SG targets are separated by rifle &/or pistol targets, and are to be shot from another position, it wouldn't do much for even my stage times to run around getting all the SG targets down before engaging those others.

Anything else, should be written, "Shooter's choice, except for..."

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

"IF" the stage instructions state "shooters" choice only, it's "run what ya brung"  However .... "IF" the stage instructions state "knock down four shotgun targets,"  when you get too the shotgun, gotta knock down all four right there.

^ This.  It's totally dependent on the stage instructions.  No rule that I'm aware of preventing splitting shotgun or pistols in a "shooter's choice" stage. Only thing to watch for would be ensuring movement is done with guns in the "safe to move" configuration.

It would wholly depend on the sequence instructions.

On ROUND count stages with shooters choice; the shooter could break up the guns in any fashion they wished.

I.e.

Ten pistol on four plates

Ten rifle on four plates

Knockdown shotgun targets

Shooter could engage a single shotgun

Shoot the rifle three times; clear the round on the carrier.

Shoot two rounds from a pistol - ground it or holster it (non Gunfighter)

Engage another two shotgun.

Three rounds from the other pistol - ground it or holster it (non Gunfighter).

Etc. Etc. Until all rounds from all firearms are expended.

As long as at the completion of the stage, the round counts from specific guns on specific targets is satisfied; the stage is completed legally.

With SEQUENCE required instructions.

Assuming 10 round sequences, the rifle and pistols would need to be shot dry to satisfy the target sequence.  Splitting the pistol or rifle string would not satisfy the sequence. 

But unless the shotgun had a specified sequence order of engagement or a string 

I.e. 

Four shotgun; outside, outside, inside, inside.

Which to me would require four rounds in order.

But in the absence of a sequenced order of targets and order of firearms.

Shotgun - any order.

This direction would open the possibility of splitting the shotgun up four times. 

One of the places I shoot at, it is quite common to have a shooter's choice, must use three firing positions, and have two shotgun knockdowns on the far left and two on the far right of the stage. It's fun to watch people try to decide if they are faster with transitions or more fleet of foot.

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

My goodness gracious.  You sure do use a lot of words.  Does PWB pay you by the letter? :ph34r:

You have an issue with my sesquipedalian loquaciousness?

The use of  sufficient verbiage to adequately and completely satisfy the explanation or to outline the thought being conveyed is neither a vice nor a fault.

I am compensated not by the letter or word; but by the knowledge that my conceptual delivery has been fully supported by the information provided.

neener neener boo boo

The most fun I ever had with shooters choice was a 10-10-6 of 8 stage.

There were 8 shotgun targets.  2 falling targets, each of which threw up a clay, and then 4 clays on stands.   The stage instructions said, "successfully engage any 6 of the shotgun targets, any order."   It was also specified that repeating shotguns could have their magazines fully loaded on the clock.

Most folks hit the falling targets first, trying to hit the flyers, and then busting 2 to 4 of the clays on stands depending on if they hit the fliers or not.

Me...   I stoked up my 97, hit the 4 on stands and hit the 2 knockdown and ignored the fliers.    Everyone was shocked at what I'd done, but also agreed that it was a legitimate fulfillment of the stage instructions.   Got some kudos for original thinking 

Archived