SASS Wire Forum

What features & options do you require in your vehicle

Chantry

My 2007 Dodge 2500 diesel has it all:

Cloth seats,

After market tuner added 150 HP and 250 torque,

Sirius radio,

Sprayed bed liner,

and best of all,  20 mpg city, 25 mpg highway.

180,000 miles and due for its 2nd change of all fluids.

Key to longevity is Opti-Lube fuel supplement since new.

Current diesel fuel has no lubricity and total injection system failures at less than 100,000 miles happened to 2 friends who did not supplement the pump fuel.

Amarillo Rattler

For many years I drove stick shift cars, and got real adept at driving, shifting gears, shifting coffee cups back and forth from right hand to left hand, and sometimes while eating a sandwich. Now I've got cup holders up the wazoo. My Ford F150 Crew Cab truck has 8 of them!

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Do they make cars without power windows anymore?

Yep, all American truck manufacturers have trucks with manual windows. Also lots of economy cars have them too. Ford Fiesta’s, KIA Rio’s, Nissan Versa’s, Chevy Sonic’s to name a few.

Since I wouldn't really consider power windows, heater, air conditioning, AM/FM/CD stereo, cruise control, and a host of other normally standard features as "options" in a daily commuter car, I'd go with a high MPG rating. Montana is big. I bought a new Honda Fit LX in February that typically gets around 42 mpg carrying my big butt and a hundred pounds of guns, ammo, leather, gun cart, food, clothes, sleeping bag, and whatnot to Cowboy matches every weekend.

On 9/2/2018 at 10:39 AM, Matthew Duncan said:

4x4

Rainproof cover for the bed.

20 + MPG

Light exterior color.

I don't know how many people I hear in Hotter'nHell west Texas b*tching about how hot their black vehicle is. I just always think DUM@$$!!! Why did you buy a black one!?!?!

JHC :lol:

23 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I don't know how many people I hear in Hotter'nHell west Texas b*tching about how hot their black vehicle is. I just always think DUM@$$!!! Why did you buy a black one!?!?!

JHC :lol:

Not to mention around here you have to wash the vehicle dang near daily. Black shows every spec of dust. 

It seems that every time I buy a new truck, it costs twice what the last one did.  I usually get about 14 years out of my truck.  I've got buttons in my F-150 that I don't ever use.  Stupid stuff like automatic gas and brake pedal height adjustment.  If you can't reach the pedals, move the seat closer.  Power rear sliding window is also a waste.  I do like the 4x4, air conditioning and the GIANT 36 gallon gas tank.

On 9/1/2018 at 12:12 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Now that I've experienced the following, I want them all.

Back up camera.

Miles remaining in gas tank.

Outside temperature.

Direction of travel (N,S,E,W)

Dual controls for AC/Heat (Hubby is always cold).

Also, I loved a little Buick SUV until I drove it up a hill on the test drive. It was gutless. I must have a car with some get-up-and-go!

You're talking about the Buick Encore, I'm on my second one, love it! No trouble going up hills with mine. It does have a turbo and if you kick it in it goes!!! It's also AWD and is great in the snow!;) 32 mpg and all the bells and whistles!

Rye,

All I can say is it flunked my drive up hill. We live on a hilly road. There are steep hills on the way to Las Vegas and Santa Clarita. Both are places I've frequently driven for SASS events.

BTW, the last time I bought a car was 2013. So, depending on what year yours is, it may be an improvement from then.

Regards,

Allie

8 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Rye,

All I can say is it flunked my drive up hill. We live on a hilly road. There are steep hills on the way to Las Vegas and Santa Clarita. Both are places I've frequently driven for SASS events.

BTW, the last time I bought a car was 2013. So, depending on what year yours is, it may be an improvement from then.

Regards,

Allie

I had a 2013 Encore and now a 2017, same engine same results. We've got hills here but nothing real steep, most are long grades. I've had no problem whatsoever. Must have been a pretty STEEP hill! Most 4 cyl would have problems. The Encore has 140 HP with a turbo.

Archived