Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended Posts

like I said above,,, at the beep shooter draws revolver and cocks it, but for whatever reason, stops and asks for a restart,  TO acknowledges and says ok,,,  without more being said, shooter decocks,,,,  WTC?

T/O being aware of the situation/condition and saying "OK" is considered "under the direction and supervision of the CRO/TO"
Shooter doesn't have to ask for permission if it has already been given.
PWB
I, as the shooter always make sure I ask if I can decock, and as the TO I always give them permission right away when they ask for a restart, but I know of shooters being givng a sdq for not saying the right words...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No call from me.   Shooter was given permission with the short-hand "OK".  

 

What else could a shooter do at that point other than complete the decock?  Well, he could just fire the round.   Thus opening door for arguments that "Now a round has gone down range..."   

 

He could declare a malfunction, and have someone rather gingerly carry that live and very functioning and cocked revolver to the unloading table.....

 

Let's just let the shooter decock and we'll move on with the match.

 

It won't HURT if the shooter confirms that he has been given permission to decock by the TO.   But I would not consider it necessary.

 

Good luck, GJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SHB   pg 14    

 

 

..........Widder

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why I learned a long time ago the secret wink/nod combination that relays the affirmative consent.

 

Phantom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

SHB   pg 14    

 

 

..........Widder

 

but, like a I mentioned above, I know of a lady who was DQed for not saying the magic words,, May I decock, after asking for a restart... just trying to clear things up

 

could this be pinned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...if my revolver is obviously cocked...and I ask "Can I start over"...and I get a "Yes"...how in the hell am I to start over without decocking the revolver???

 

This is kinda like the Salem Witch trials...

 

Oy...

 

Phantom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So...if my revolver is obviously cocked...and I ask "Can I start over"...and I get a "Yes"...how in the hell am I to start over without decocking the revolver???

 

This is kinda like the Salem Witch trials...

 

Oy...

 

Phantom

 

Only without the dunking chair.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
11 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

like I said above,,, at the beep shooter draws revolver and cocks it, but for whatever reason, stops and asks for a restart,  TO acknowledges and says ok,,,  without more being said, shooter decocks,,,,  WTC?

T/O being aware of the situation/condition and saying "OK" is considered "under the direction and supervision of the CRO/TO"
Shooter doesn't have to ask for permission if it has already been given.
PWB
I, as the shooter always make sure I ask if I can decock, and as the TO I always give them permission right away when they ask for a restart, but I know of shooters being givng a sdq for not saying the right words...

 Some actually think that the Shooters Handbook is a LIVING BREATHING DOCUMENT that they can interpret  as they see fit. This is just another example of RUSSIAN MEDDLING. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

 Some actually think that the Shooters Handbook is a LIVING BREATHING DOCUMENT that they can interpret  as they see fit. This is just another example of RUSSIAN MEDDLING. :D

Well... it ain't exactly carved in stone...

 

Sometimes, one just has to apply some of the ROIII rules, to what the other books say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

And?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That very thing happened at a match last month in our area. Rifle was 1st but shooter pulled his pistol, cocked it, then asked for permission to decock, and TO gave permission, shooter lowered the hammer, re-holstered and, on restart, correctly shot rifle, then pistol and shotgun.  The actions were exactly as I described it. Something missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... As the saying goes, ya can't fix stoopid.

 

:mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda' tells me shooters, AND TO's, need to know the proper sequence for de-cocking a revolver, don't ya' think ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
1 hour ago, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

Kinda' tells me shooters, AND TO's, need to know the proper sequence for de-cocking a revolver, don't ya' think ?

 I rest my case again as per above  topic on a rule change.:FlagAm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about this.......a shooter at the beep draws his/her gun, cocks and someone calls cease fire?  I believe we all can safely decock a revolver and re index  without any problem.   No call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

How about this.......a shooter at the beep draws his/her gun, cocks and someone calls cease fire?  I believe we all can safely decock a revolver.  No call.

You would think so but for those who never had to "safely decock a revolver" ( or a TO who never had to oversee one ) the process of re-indexing safely is the issue,

IMHO. The shooter in my comment was a very experienced shooter, quite a few WR & EOT, State match finishes, etc. Just never did the whole de-cock thing much if at all. Can't speak to the TO's level of knowledge but he did restart the shooter in an unsafe condition. Can't speak for others but the subject was covered in my 1st ROII class in '06 & again in '16. Just sayin'

DC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue of RE-INDEXING the cylinder to an empty chamber was omitted as the only question asked & answered was in regard to the DE-COCKING itself.
There was no reason to expand the answer to include the various methods used from that point on to make the revolver SAFE to reholster for the restart.

(e.g. Colt/clone vs NM Ruger vs other types of revolvers)
 

Quote

...at the beep shooter draws revolver and cocks it, but for whatever reason, stops and asks for a restart,  TO acknowledges and says ok,,,  without more being said, shooter decocks...  WTC?

 

T/O being aware of the situation/condition and saying "OK" is considered "under the direction and supervision of the CRO/TO"
Shooter doesn't have to ask for permission if it has already been given. 

 

If neither the shooter nor the T/O know that simply DE-COCKING on a live round MUST be followed by re-indexing to an empty chamber;

then perhaps they would benefit from an advanced tutorial on SA functions...or "we" can add "and re-indexed to the empty chamber" to the de-cocking regs (due to a couple of shooters being penalized for failure to do so in a restart situation).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

That very thing happened at a match last month in our area. Rifle was 1st but shooter pulled his pistol, cocked it, then asked for permission to decock, and TO gave permission, shooter lowered the hammer, re-holstered and, on restart, correctly shot rifle, then pistol and shotgun.  The actions were exactly as I described it. Something missing?

you are not missing anything, except in the case I was talking about, she asked for a restart, was given the ok for a restart, then was dqed when she decocked because she didn't ask permission to decock...

....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, CC I probably hijacked yer thread in describing a recent "decock incident" at our match last month. My intent was to show that some shooters (& TO,s) may not be aware that re-indexing to the empty chamber is critical & part of the process. No, nothing was "missing" from yer OP. IMHO, the TO probably should have expected a decock & coached the shooter through it. I'm purty sure I would have, already having done it before. Sounds a little picky, & not in the best interests of the shooter. I thick Phantom's comment is spot on!

DC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2018 at 2:11 PM, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

That very thing happened at a match last month in our area. Rifle was 1st but shooter pulled his pistol, cocked it, then asked for permission to decock, and TO gave permission, shooter lowered the hammer, re-holstered and, on restart, correctly shot rifle, then pistol and shotgun.  The actions were exactly as I described it. Something missing?

When the pistol was shot, did it go boom, boom, boom, boom, snap (on the empty chamber), boom? If not, the shooter re-indexed the pistol before holstering. I'm guessing since you didn't note this occurring that it went boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's perzactly what happened ! Snap on 5th shot. :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2018 at 11:50 AM, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

That's perzactly what happened ! Snap on 5th shot. :blink:

Perzactly, I know that word! :) Yup, a couple of folks were asleep at the wheel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2018 at 12:41 PM, Griff said:

Well... it ain't exactly carved in stone...

 

Sometimes, one just has to apply some of the ROIII rules, to what the other books say.

Some people in CAS remember when everything was only carved in stone....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.