SASS Wire Forum

12 ga question

Cherokee Slim

I have a question for those of you more familiar than I (which no doubt includes virtually everyone on here...) with the various applications for 12 gauge loads.  Recently I acquired several 12 gauge loading presses and a hodge-podge of supplies from an individual who had accumulated them over a period of years.  He was primarily interested in wildcat handgun cartridge reloading and had no use for any of the shotgunning materials that had built up from various estate purchases he had made. 

Included with this lot of materials were about 15-20 AA hulls which have been cut down to 2 1/8" overall length, "loaded" with a primer and what appears to be a standard WAA12 wad loaded upside down over the primer; no powder.   Also included with the lot is a bag of maybe 40-50 additional AA hulls that have been de-primed and cut down to this same length.

Does anyone know to what use these might be put?  To me they're just part of the "trash" that came with the supplies, but it seems a rather curious "loading".

DSCF0070.JPG

DSCF0071.JPG

DSCF0074.JPG

DSCF0076.JPG

Heard some people have done something like that for indoor practice.  They are supposed to fly pretty straight , similar principle as a badmitten shuttlecock    GW         Some indoor ranges do not allow shotgun

7 minutes ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Do they have live primers in them??

Bottom picture shows no primer..

With that..  they might be  set up as dummy rounds

for SxS loading and reloading practice..

Live primer.. I don't know.. Might be what G said??

That last picture actually shows a live primer in the round that I turned over.  The primers all appear to be painted black; I thought perhaps that was to distinguish this type of round from normal rounds to the original loader.  I would have thought the difference apparent, but....  Or maybe that's a brand of primer that comes that way; it's just none that I've ever seen.

Another instance, as in playing cards and exploratory surgery, where one peek is worth 1000 guesses.

Take one apart.  What is inside?

26 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Another instance, as in playing cards and exploratory surgery, where one peek is worth 1000 guesses.

Take one apart.  What is inside?

I didn't make that clear, but yes, I did pull the wad out and there's nothing inside.  There's only the upside down wad placed inside the hull.  Seems obvious that the primer would fire the wad out the end of the barrel, but I haven't tried it to be sure it does.  The wads are not crimped into place; just poked into the hull.

They were the pre cursor to paint balls when I was a kid, " Here, hold my lemonaide":rolleyes: Used snorkeling masks to keep the eyes!

44 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

They were the pre cursor to paint balls when I was a kid, " Here, hold my lemonaide":rolleyes: Used snorkeling masks to keep the eyes!

Hmmmmm......... that's something I never thought of......  There was no "paintball" around when I was a kid (a very long time ago that was.....) but we never used anything like this either. 

BB guns were the precursor to paintball in my neighborhood. 

If we were feeling nice, we'd steal momma's sewing needles (she didn't really sew anyway, I don't think she ever knew we swiped them) and make darts for our BB guns. 

Sorry I got off topic, but I think it's probably for practice.  Not 100% sure what you would practice, as it seems to me that managing the recoil is a big part of shooting a shotgun.  But maybe it's for practicing instinct shooting or for curing flinching. 

I appreciate the responses to the question.  Apparently there isn't an absolutely definitive answer; maybe the guy was just "messing around" with 12 gauge rounds for the heck of it.  I was hoping for something like, "those are used for ............"  , but...... maybe it was just for some type of practice. 

38 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

you could use them against flies and mosquitos 

Now THERE'S a thought....!!!!!    mosquito swatter!!

Hi Slim,

Did you shoot one out of your shotgun yet?

If you do, let us know what happened.  

Thanks.  These look like they might be fun to shoot; if they work.

Mo

Archived