SASS Wire Forum

Baby Kitties

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all fun and cuteness until they break a lamp, which they just did. This is the lamp they broke. That is not the original shade. The original was flowered and another cat broke it. Ziggy only broke a chimney. The second photo is Ziggy with the chimney he broke.

Blue Chairs and Lamp Table.jpg

08072016-04.JPG

55 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I highly recommend the towers. This one was only about $60 at Costco.

Here is Ziggy on the tower. He won't get that high anymore.

03042017-08.JPG

got one they loved it when new but still prefer my lap. amazing how upside down and twisted they can sleep

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

They kittens all got to the top without my help. They are nine weeks old now.

08202018-04kittens.JPG

If that ain't just a portrait of Trouble, Incorporated, I don't know what is.

Anything that cute just has to be bad.

Kittens that age only have 2 settings.  Adorable and Trouble on 4 Legs.  They seem to swap between the two at random.

Current Events

Their owner was over yesterday and said they are three girls and one boy. In the preceding photo, the boy is to the right of the grey kitty. I thought the one on the right might be a girl as I find her bathing the others.

It seems like every day they get into something new.

A few days ago Hubby saw a kitten leg hanging out of the kitchen island base. He cut a block to stop that.

Then, one got into the contraption under the oak kitchen table that allows it to slide apart to put the leaf in.

Yesterday, I heard tinkle, tinkle. I had to move the lamp with dangly crystals out of the room.

Today, Hubby saw two of them disappear beside one side of the dishwasher toe plate. Another block was needed.

I can't imagine child-proofing your house could be more arduous than this.

The mrs. breeds desert lynx. they are a bobcat hybrid. talk about holy terrors. A cat tree survives about 6 months in our house before it's off to the burn pile and a new one purchased. I never was much of a cat person until she brought this breed home. The boys average 16-20 lbs and are love bugs for the most part. It's like having a small dog. Many will walk on a leash and play fetch lol 

Allie,

Our 20 pound Siamese still thinks he's a kitten and has broken his fair share of lamps.  A few months ago, he leapt from my waist high dresser to a standing room lamp to investigate some flying bugs.  The lamp hit the hardwood floor and it sounded like someone had shattered a sliding glass door.  We're still find glass from that incident.  This cat is so tall that he can put his front paws on the kitchen table and look down into your dinner plate. 

2 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

The mrs. breeds desert lynx. they are a bobcat hybrid. talk about holy terrors. A cat tree survives about 6 months in our house before it's off to the burn pile and a new one purchased. I never was much of a cat person until she brought this breed home. The boys average 16-20 lbs and are love bugs for the most part. It's like having a small dog. Many will walk on a leash and play fetch lol 

Our cats Gee and Obie insisted on going with me when I walked the dog. The kitties would stop and rest on occasion. You can barely see the Ginger Feral, who never let us touch him, on the other side of the dog..

DSC02130.JPG

The last cat that decided it would live with me was named Arnold. He weighed 22 pounds and would sleep in the top loader washing machine. Laundry day took on a totally new atmosphere if you forgot to cat check the washer, dropped the clothes in and turned it on.

52 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

The last cat that decided it would live with me was named Arnold. He weighed 22 pounds and would sleep in the top loader washing machine. Laundry day took on a totally new atmosphere if you forgot to cat check the washer, dropped the clothes in and turned it on.

Had a tomcat that liked to lay on clothes.  Single pieces, piles, stacks of neatly folded- it dind't matter to him.  He'd follow Momma out to the clothes line just to ride back in the basket.  Lay a jacket down on a bed and he'd be in the middle of it when you came back for it.

He got into the habit of crawling into the dryer.  That habit got broke rather suddenly when Momma decided to tumble a load for a couple more minutes to get the wrinkles out and he went for a spin for a few seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Sad! The owner is here picking up HIS kitties. Hubby told him we wanted Little G and Rita (the runt). The owner said we could have one. I want them all and Mama too.

I told Hubby I will stay in my "room" until after they are gone.

Did I mention that I'm sad, crying. :wub: them so much. I will never do this again.

Happy dancin' here.

Ziggy rolled over and played submissive for Little G.

Little Rita (the runt, on the right in the photo of the four on the tower) had a fit and fought with another kitten the owner had, her siblings, and her mama. The owner brought her back to us. She even hissed at Little G. I think she was traumatized by the move and he took them to he vet for the first round of shots.

All is well that ends well. So, we have four cats. Two fifteen pounders and two one pounders.

He took the mama back to his container where her four siblings got killed by a mountain lion. Hmmm. Maybe she will find her way back to us. We are only 1/4 mile from her.

We've had many kittens in our lives. They all brought us great joy. These were no exception. They were especially wonderful as we had them with us from day one. I read many sites (let me know if you want links) about how to raise them). For example handle them lots after three weeks and don't use clumping sand (peeuuu to the non-clumping stuff, still we did it and changed it regularly).

The owner came over every few weeks and commented on the good job we were doing socializing them.

They never hissed or growled at each other or our two 15 pound monsters. Rita (the runt) even bathed the others. They were a joy to be around. Rita loved Hubby so much that she would crawl  up on the sofa and sleep on him. All the while purring up a storm. She has also done that since being returned to us.

Then, the owner took them all away, except Little G, who he said we could have. He took them to the Vet for their first shots. He left Mama at his "container," where four of her siblings were killed by a Mountain Lion.

I went to lunch with a friend yesterday. As I posted, when I got home the owner had brought Rita over. It took me a while to make time go through my emails I was overjoyed to be playing with Little G and Rita.

Here is the email the owner sent us before bringing Rita over. BTW he has a little yappy dog and none of these kittens had ever seen a dog.

"I made the decision without contacting my daughter, I'm going to go ahead and bring the runt back out to you guys later on today after we get him his shots.

The kitties are behind in their social skills compared to other kitties the same age. I think it's due to not handling them enough.

You're going to have to work with the runt and handle him at least 5 times a day in order to get him out of his shell because he's growling at his siblings and growling at Fez our other 10-week old Kitty.

So just remember to work with him in your hands at least 5 times a day for about 4 or 5 minutes.

Once you get him to trust you and never growl at you when you pick him up, then pick him up and try and get him to lie on his back in your hands without squirming and righting himself and if need be slightly scruffing him with one of those hands gently on the back of his neck to kind of keep him in a halfway paralyzed state.

You'll know that he's completely socialized and has no fear of humans when you can do this and he'll stay asleep when you put him back down in a soft spot and he stays there asleep.

We will text you a half hour before we come out to drop him off."

Just had to vent.  Fear of humans. Not hardly!

Now, we've rescued two kittens.

Vent away, AM.  The guy is obviously a jerk and has no concept of how to properly raise kittens.  Be grateful for the two you get to keep.  Maybe he'll see the error of his ways and you'll get the others back as well.

Hey Allie mo  we have 11 baby barn cats running around if you need any more.   Somebody dumped two female cats off and they found our horse barn.  Now I have an abundance of little fury things running around. 

On 9/7/2018 at 10:44 PM, evil dogooder said:

Now I have an abundance of little fury things running around. 

I told you last time: put two of 'em in a box with holes poked in it, and send 'em to North Carolina.  I'm such a good cat mom.

4 hours ago, MizPete said:

I told you last time: put two of 'em in a box with holes poked in it, and send 'em to North Carolina.  I'm such a good cat mom.

Ok I'll poke two holes in them put them in a box ad ship them all out to you lol

Archived