SASS Wire Forum

finally understanding the lyrics and wonder why i listened

Trigger Mike

I was bored and stayed on the music video show "I want my 80s" and they played constant music videos from back then.  I finally understood the words since it was not blaring at ax volume in a car radio with the windows down(no air) at 60 MPH.  Close Captioning really helps.  One video was of Duran Duran and their song The Reflex.  I didn't get it then and never cranked it up but know I get it even less and marvel at the way folks clamored for it though it has no logic to it that I can find.  

You've gone too far this time"
But I'm dancing on the valentine
I tell you somebody's fooling around
With my chances on the dangerline
I'll cross that bridge when I find it
Another day to make my stand
High time is no time for deciding
If I should find a helping hand

Chorus
So why don't you use it?
Try not to bruise it
Buy time don't lose it
The reflex is an only child he's waiting in the park
The reflex is in charge of finding treasure in the dark
And watching over lucky clover isn't that bizarre
Every little thing the reflex does
Leaves you answered with a question mark

I'm on a ride and I want to get off
But they won't slow down the roundabout
I sold the Renoir and the tv set
Don't want to be around when this gets out

Chorus

Oh the reflex what a game he's hiding all the cards
The reflex is in charge of finding treasure in the dark
And watching over lucky clover isn't that bizarre
Every little thing the reflex does
Leaves you answered with a question mark

These lyrics meant something to someone for some reason.

I never paid much attention to music lyrics and why they were what they were until the story came out about the song “Shannon” in the mid 70’s. I was a sad ballad but very catchy. It was about a dog dying. Everyone thought it was a love song. Still a great tune but not about what one would think.

Often when I read the lyrics to songs I find that once I know the lyrics and their meaning I no longer care for the song.

The one I get a kick out of, even though I can only understand a few words, "Oh, baby, we gotta go!" is Louis, Louis! (Not sure if it means they need to head down the road...or find the nearest head! :rolleyes: )  Now when it first came out, the word going around was that it was something dirty, especially if you played it backwards or slowed it down or something.  Radio stations wouldn't play it, and parents were sure it would corrupt all teenagers! Turns out there's nothing to it.  But it was a great P.R. gimmick that sold records and made them a bunch of money!  Local radio station plays it quite often nowadays! ;)

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

The one I get a kick out of, even though I can only understand a few words, "Oh, baby, we gotta go!" is Louis, Louis! (Not sure if it means they need to head down the road...or find the nearest head! :rolleyes: )  Now when it first came out, the word going around was that it was something dirty, especially if you played it backwards or slowed it down or something.  Radio stations wouldn't play it, and parents were sure it would corrupt all teenagers! Turns out there's nothing to it.  But it was a great P.R. gimmick that sold records and made them a bunch of money!  Local radio station plays it quite often nowadays! ;)

The lyric is actually "me gotta go" the song is about a guy longing for his girl waiting for him.

Interestingly, the song did spawn an FBI file and more:

https://www.npr.org/2015/05/02/403623915/louie-louie-indecipherable-or-indecent-an-fbi-investigation

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Who is Duran Duran?

A character from the movie Barbarella. That's where the 80's New Wave band got the name.

As for lyrics, I like to know them. I don't care if they are nonsensical or not. If the song catches my ear, I will still like it.

I rarely listen to the words of a song I just like the noise. Mrs Lose on the other hand can probably sing the words and translate the words to every song ever written. Many times she’s corrected me on what I say the song lyrics are and I have never been able to do the same to her.

There's a bathroom on the right. 

A guy I can't understand at all is Michael McDonald. He has his lips so right to Mike mic his fiction is not understandable. All of the music directors I had the pleasure of singing for all stressed pronunciation and good diction.

You want some lyrics? Listen to some Steely Dan!! Awesome lyrics, takes a while to figure out some of them though!!;)

Some examples are: Deacon Blues, Aja, Babylon Sisters, Gaucho to just name a few.

Archived