SASS Wire Forum

Meat Eaters club

Wapaloosie73

This video is awesome and funny! :lol:

I have actually used a couple of those lines;

”You are eating what my food eats so you are depriving my food of sustenance” - This sentence dropped some jaws at a cookout I was at that had several vegans attending. 

The way that guy is acting is exactly what I have encountered at family functions and have witnessed in restaurants with vegans. I call them “Drama Eaters”. They always cause drama to attract attention to themselves.

One of life’s little joys is messing with them.

My speech about how meat is vegetables usually shuts them up or infuriates them to the point of leaving so either way “Win-Win”...Hahaha

Contaminated vegetables are a more common source of foodborne illness than  meat, even when the meat is not cooked and handled properly;  a good reason to eat cooked veggies and soups and stews.

Chart is from CDC website:

A4E3B008-8C29-4C76-BB6B-9AB4CBF16D30.thumb.jpeg.c3015fd1468aa5df69094d209cdc7f25.jpeg

The only 3 bumper stickers I have ever put on any of my vehicles have all said the same thing -

"If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

6 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Contaminated vegetables are a more common source of foodborne illness than  meat, even when the meat is not cooked and handled properly;  a good reason to eat cooked veggies and soups and stews.

S'truth. Raw flour is a risk most people aren't aware of. A couple years ago General Mills recalled 45 million pounds of flour due to illnesses linked to E. coli contamination. The amount of contamination was small enough that cooking or baking foods made with the flour was enough to render it safe, but eating raw cake batter or cookie dough led to a number of illnesses.

7 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Chart is from CDC website:

A4E3B008-8C29-4C76-BB6B-9AB4CBF16D30.thumb.jpeg.c3015fd1468aa5df69094d209cdc7f25.jpeg

Looks like "Produce" is more likely to make you sick but "Meat and Poultry" is more likely to kill you.  I'll take my chances.   :-)

BTW, why the heck ain't "Poultry" considered "Meat"?  I know why Fish ain't meat.  It ain't worth eatin'.  

Just my .02

Angus

No.  of people who were reported as having gotten sick from food, 46% were due to produce.   Of food related fatalities 29% were attributed to meat and poultry.

There is no attempt in that chart to compare the actual number of people killed or made sick in any category. It could be 1000 illnesses and 100,000 fatalities or vice versa 

or anything else.

Link to the article from which the poster was copied:

https://www.cdc.gov/foodborneburden/attribution-1998-2008.html

Both Black Angus McPherson and Marshal Mo Hare have a point.  One is more than twice as likely to get food poisoning from veggies than meat  (as I originally posted..."foodborne illness"...), but if a case of foodborne illness is caused by contaminated meat, it is a bit more likely to be fatal (29% versus 23%).  In my mind that's not much difference and could be within sampling errors.  Remember these are reported cases, the more serious ones requiring medical intervention, possibly in more vulnerable patients.  I have had food poisoning myself that hit and run (no pun intended. maybe.) that resolved itself quickly with no need to seek a doctor.

Sorry the original graph was not more clear on that point.  Obviously the work of government statisticians :ph34r:.

I  had a nice conversation at the meat counter in my local market today. The gentleman ahead of me was making stew out of short ribs and having the ribs cut thick to order.

I told him one of our favorite dishes is pork and the last time I made it, all they had was bone-in country style ribs. It was delectably greasy. 

Dang greasy meat is the best!

PS I like vegetables too, just don't spread that around.

30 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I  had a nice conversation at the meat counter in my local market today. The gentleman ahead of me was making stew out of short ribs and having the ribs cut thick to order.

I told him one of our favorite dishes is pork and the last time I made it, all they had was bone-in country style ribs. It was delectably greasy. 

Dang greasy meat is the best!

PS I like vegetables too, just don't spread that around.

Allie, if it's not dripping off your elbows and smeared across both cheeks, the rack of ribs ain't fixed right.

And ya'll lay off the vegetarians.

Some of my favorite things to eat are vegetarians.

Archived