SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 93 vs Winchester 94

evil dogooder

So after a two year wait my favorite ffl managed to round up 5 different 38-55s for me.  No I'm not getting all of them. The cheapest is 1200. But I am going to get one. 

There is one marlin take down

2 Winchester

And two regular Marlins 

Barrels range from 26" to 30"

Two have regular sights the rest have peep sights. 

All are originals made pre 1910 two pre 1900

I am looking for one for hunting.  And maybe a little long range shooting.  I am not going to single load.  Everything will feed from the mag.  I know the reason people do that. But it's not what I want to do.  I am going to shoot it how it was intended to be shot.  Just my preference not a knock against anybody. 

So all you experts out there. Which would you pick.

He also got in a short 92 carbine in 25-20 with a ladder sight and a peep sight that is tempting 

Morning ED.    Good to hear you survived to winter.  I have been really happy with the RCBS molds   Have the 37-250-FN that I shoot out of a  Win 375 Big Bore over a dose of 2400.   Almost identical to factory 38/55 load  and shoots very well     GW

I have a Winchester 94 that I like very much. I reload and use a 262 grain .379 lead bullet with gas check that's quite accurate. I've shot it in and won a few big bore shoots at a local club shooting 25, 50, 100, & 200 yards. On a side note mine hated .375 jacketed bullets. Loves lead bullets.

I would opt for a Marlin. I think they are more stylish, just my opinion. Also easier to tear down and clean thoroughly. I would further choose the take down, assuming it is built for smokeless and was within my budget.

Buy the one with the best bore, and closest to .375 groove. Be sure the marlins are rated for smokeless if you plan on shooting this powder. 

Some had grooves as large as .382 and you would have to have a custom mold made to accommodate and use very thin brass so it fits in the chamber.

The 38-55 is a fantastic cartridge, but they can be a real challenge in a vintage rifle.

Good Luck

Since your use is: 

for hunting.  And maybe a little long range shooting. 

Then you want accuracy more than just about anything else.  So, ditto RR's approach - Buy the one with the best bore, and closest to .375 groove.   Thus, the one that is most likely to get good accuracy. 

With what you are going to do, the "Marlin is easier to clean" capability means very little in the decision.

Good luck, GJ

Here's the winner.   Made in 1902  28" barrel with near perfect rifling nice patina . 1893 marlin  tapped for a tang site.

Now I need to decide which tang sight to use. 

20180406_111809.jpg

Go with the Winchester.   I just think they are better guns.   Of course, I am a left handed shooter, so that biases me a little.

Generically, the Marlin and the Winchester are both fine firearms, so much of it comes down to personal preference, and I prefer the Winchester.   I like the lines, the feel, and the action of those guns.   I'd also go with the longer barrel.  Not only is it more accurate, but it'll hold more cartridges.

The 92 in .25-20 would make for a fun little main match rifle.   Don't have one myself, but I have a friend who does, and it's a tack driver for accuracy.

Howdy E.D.

I wanted a 38-55 so I bought a 1893 in 30-30 had it relined to 38-55, it shot great for a few hundred rounds an then wouldn't fire , I took apart all I found  was the bottom plate stretch I straighten it out an I was ready to go but for a dozen rounds or so they I would have straighten out the plate again I did this a few times an thenI sold it .

I then bought a Win 1885 that is a great shooter . Then got a 336 marlin 30-30 sent it to JES an had rebored to 38-55 ,it shoot almost as good as the 1885.

Those old Marlins were not made to shoot Hundreds of rounds like we do today.

Dusty Ed

i really dont think you will go wrong with either - its personal preference here , what feels right/best , as long as you have a selection........how often is that the case? take your time and pick the one that fits you just right , 

Do a search for "Lee Shaver",,, he make the best, inexpensive, high quality Tang sights. You can pay a lot more, but his sights work great.

Hey there E.D.  --  I'd highly recommend one of the Montana Vintage Arms tang sights.  If you go that route, order a Marlin 1893 base, and 8-40 screws (provided your tang has the factory drilled and tapped holes).  The #108 Sharps Vernier works well on a '93.  MVA has the base set up so the long '93 bolt doesn't smack the sight staff once it's mounted.  It should look something like this on your rifle...

RGwsgXsl.jpg

Once you get it mounted on your rifle you'll need to square it to the top of the receiver...

ofyor02l.jpg

Sometimes working through the sight staff makes adjusting the staff spring screw easier.

0ZZBtbt.jpg

Hope this helps.  Best regards.  Buttes

OT a little bit ,,, BBMcNab. Looked at your last pic and wondered if you were in my workshop. All neat and tidy. :lol: Yours is a lot better than mine.

Isom

Archived