SASS Wire Forum

Wtc

Morgun Play

Stage calls for a rifle reload after shooting empty.  Round may come from belt or be staged on prop.  May the shooter grab the reload in hand before firing the first ten rounds for potentially a quicker over the top reload?

If you are say'n-Can he hold the rnd in hand before reload?

I will say,  NO

Was the rifle, the first gun in this stage?

If the rifle was first-Why did the T/O not stop him?

OLG

I SEE MY ANSWER WAS WRONG-SORRY:blush:

TNX-PWB! ;)

YES...as long as the extra round is not "in hand" before the "beep".

(Stage instructions may be written to override that Convention)

Ammunition Conventions

- Shooters may not start a stage with ammunition in hand(s).

SHB p.26

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hope the OP will clarify a little better on the EXACT stage instructions.

OLG

B)I tend to think the OP was posting a hypothetical question - not a “this happened - now what” kind of thing.  Interesting question I think. Thanks PWB for your quick response. 

I may be wrong but I think trying to pull the reload and hold it while shooting would be distracting. I don’t think I could have a good hold on the forend and hold the reload ready to use. I think being prepared for the reload I can pull it from a loop quicker. 

Randy

If a shooter planned to do that he would be wise to p-p-p-practice that move a bunch of times ......

8 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I may be wrong but I think trying to pull the reload and hold it while shooting would be distracting. I don’t think I could have a good hold on the forend and hold the reload ready to use. I think being prepared for the reload I can pull it from a loop quicker. 

Randy

Badlands Bud pulled his shotgun shells prior to shooting the rifle on this stage at EOT 2013.  It can work and be quicker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpIDrqHLtYk

10 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy

+1 and since that's probably what you do the other 99 times out of 100 it'll be faster anyway. 

1 hour ago, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

Badlands Bud pulled his shotgun shells prior to shooting the rifle on this stage at EOT 2013.  It can work and be quicker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpIDrqHLtYk

I can't see the video for some reason but I betcha' it wasn't something he did on a whim..........if you practice it enough it's possible I guess but IMO most people at local matches are trying these things for the first time thinking it's an advantage and it might bite them in the rear.........lol

17 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Randy

actually, it can be quite slick,,, at wr once, you had a reload after 10 shots, and from a different spot to shoot the  reload..  I pulled the reload with the left hand as I picked up my Marlin,,, shot the required shots and as I took two or three steps backward loaded over the top like a 97,,,,  befuddled them all... 

Archived