SASS Wire Forum

Example of Quality Control @ Winchester Ammunition

John Boy

Winchester Ammunition is shipping to MidwayUsa deformed unprimed 300 Win Mag unprimed cases ...
Out of 100 cases ordered - here is an example of 5 cases out of a total of 36 defectives in total...
300%20Win%20Mag%20a_zps9grxays7.jpg
300%20Win%20Mag%20b_zps0395pcnq.jpg

Yes, I have contacted Winchester Ammunition too and had to leave a robo phone message to 'Peggy'

Some years ago I purchased some Winchester primers. It was a lot of 5k large pistol. Every 100 count pack had several primers without the needed explosive compound in the cup. When loading you needed to examine each primer. Contacted Winchester and sent lot numbers and samples. Winchester replied that they had a bad run of primers and wished me good luck in sorting out what I had on hand. That was last time I used Winchester primers.

A few years back I had issues with non firing Win LP primers in my 44-40s, tried same bullets in 5 different pistols and in rifle.  Sent them into manufacturer and they said it was light primer strikes and was not their primers, (firing pin almost pierced the primer on every round).  Funny if it was not their product, why did they send me  6 - $10 coupons towards new primers :wacko:?  I gave the coupons away and have since bought Fed primers - no issues since.

Charlie

Keep letting the manufacturer's and retailer's know when you run across quality control problems.   It's the best way to get them to put proper levels of quality control back on the manufacturing process.   It's always easy for the bean counters (actually the top management has to agree, too) to push for laying off QC personnel because they get short-sighted and declare the QC folks "aren't contributing to profits".

Good luck, GJ

I have used Winchester primers exclusively since 1999, except when the shortage hit. I probably loaded 10-12,000 per year of both WLP and WSP. Never had any trouble that could be attributed to the primers.

While I personally experienced NO problem with Winchester Large Pistol primers, there was a time when certain lots had a bunch of misfires.  As the reports came in, we posted them on the SASSWire so folks could watch out and avoid them.

An interesting sidelight:  Back in the '80's NASA had a problem with one of the small rifle (MIL-SPEC equivalent) primers used on the Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Booster parachute recovery system's chute reefing line cutters failing to fire. As there were two guillotine cutters in series on each reefing line, no problem was created because the second cutter cut the line allowing the canopy to expand.  But NASA went ballistic! :rolleyes:  They told Olin (who makes the Winchester primers) that they never wanted another FTF, ever!  Olin replied that their specs permitted one FTF for every 20,000 primers (that's 20 boxes!), and if NASA didn't like it, they were free to qualify another vendor.  So far as I know, Olin continued to supply primers for the reefing line cutters, and other things, for the duration of the Shuttle program! :o

19 hours ago, John Boy said:

Winchester Ammunition is shipping to MidwayUsa deformed unprimed 300 Win Mag unprimed cases ...
Out of 100 cases ordered - here is an example of 5 cases out of a total of 36 defectives in total...
300%20Win%20Mag%20a_zps9grxays7.jpg
300%20Win%20Mag%20b_zps0395pcnq.jpg

Yes, I have contacted Winchester Ammunition too and had to leave a robo phone message to 'Peggy'

is the problem no rims?  don't see any rims on these

cr

19 hours ago, Big Rock, SASS #44055 said:

I received some 44-40 brass like that from starline.  There where 15 that were unusable and 10 or so that I was able to straighten out, out of a box of 500.

I had the same happen, but it was more like half of them.  I shipped them back with a note and they immediately replaced them.  Starline may have hiccuped, but they came through in the end and they've kept me as a customer.

I've been lucky. Never a bad case from Starline. I have had problems with Winchester but nothing I couldn't iron out with a sizer a the first firing. Winchester AA shotshells not so lucky.

11 hours ago, Charlie T Waite said:

A few years back I had issues with non firing Win LP primers in my 44-40s, tried same bullets in 5 different pistols and in rifle.  Sent them into manufacturer and they said it was light primer strikes and was not their primers, (firing pin almost pierced the primer on every round).  Funny if it was not their product, why did they send me  6 - $10 coupons towards new primers :wacko:?  I gave the coupons away and have since bought Fed primers - no issues since.

Charlie

About that same time I had a run of bad LP fron Winchester.  I sold the remnants ar a big discount and will use anything but Winchester now.  My last experiment was with S & B primers, that turned out very good.

Archived