SASS Wire Forum

Photobucket question

Nickel City Dude

I have been using photobucket for a long time but recently any photo I post on the web shows up for about 1 day and then is replaced by an Icon of a speedometer.  Is it necessay to pay for photobucket now or am I doing something wrong?

40 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I have been using photobucket for a long time but recently any photo I post on the web shows up for about 1 day and then is replaced by an Icon of a speedometer.  Is it necessay to pay for photobucket now or am I doing something wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong. Photobucket screwed us all:

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

I dropped em when they did that.

1 hour ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Just looked at my account, appears to be normal.

It may look normal when you view it in Photobucket,  but if you try to link to the photos it doesn't work.

I just spent about 90 minutes going through,  doing an "open in New tab" and then "save as" into a folder on my computer. 

I see PhotoBucket wants $399 per year to hot link your photos.

I have always had my own web host.

I have many web pages that I maintain.

If I want an image on a forum, I up load it to my web host and link to it there.

I use Go Daddy.

Go Daddy has a sale on hosting right now.

There unlimited web sites, unlimited storage, unlimited sub domains is currently on sale for $4.99/month. (regularly $10.99/month)

When I sign up, I look for the sale and sign up for 5 years at that rate.

When it comes up for renewal, I look for sale and then call to renew, asking about the sale and I have usually gotten a better deal.

display01.jpg

I found a new place to post my images called postimage.com.  I will not be able to get all my old images back from Photobucket but at least I will be able to post new images without cost.

I do not have a PhotoBucket account.

So, I have questions.

If you have a PhotoBucket account, can you go to your account and see your photos?

If, yes, can you right click on the image and then click "View Image"?

If yes, then right click on image again, do you see "Save Image As"?

If yes, then click on Save Image As and see if you can save it to a folder on your computer.

It will be slow but you should be able to save all your images from PhotoBucket to your computer.

or save to a flash drive in your USB port.

I also wonder if PhotoBucket has a Save mode that will allow several images to be save to your computer at one time.

Like highlighting several files and save all.

I would hope you can get your images back that are saved on a fee image hosting service.

3 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

So, I have questions.

If you have a PhotoBucket account, can you go to your account and see your photos?

If yes, then click on Save Image As and see if you can save it to a folder on your computer.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

14 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

So, I have questions.

It will be slow but you should be able to save all your images from PhotoBucket to your computer.

or save to a flash drive in your USB port.

I also wonder if PhotoBucket has a Save mode that will allow several images to be save to your computer at one time.

Like highlighting several files and save all.

I would hope you can get your images back that are saved on a fee image hosting service.

Your method of doing a "save as" on each image is what I ended up doing.

Nobody seems to know why Photobucked did this. Millions of users, who had linked to countless websites, wiped out without any notice, and a huge charge imposed to use. If they wanted to change, they should have give notice, then charged a fee about 10 % of what they did. It was crazy.

A couple of websites I use had long anticipated this, and moved all photobucket links directly to their servers. At the same time, they made it much easier for users to directly load their photos to the site.

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Nobody seems to know why Photobucked did this. Millions of users, who had linked to countless websites, wiped out without any notice, and a huge charge imposed to use. If they wanted to change, they should have give notice, then charged a fee about 10 % of what they did. It was crazy.

A couple of websites I use had long anticipated this, and moved all photobucket links directly to their servers. At the same time, they made it much easier for users to directly load their photos to the site.

They have an untenable business position. They need money.  Could be incompetence or other reasons but they could not continue as they were.

When I tried to retrieve some of my photos, I would get the same "update your account" info when I tried to copy them, so I assume they were still hot-linked somewhere. But I found if I created a folder on Photobucket, then moved the pics to it that it wouldn't let me copy and save, it changed the path and let me retrieve them from the new folder. Pain in the butt, but it worked.

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

When I tried to retrieve some of my photos, I would get the same "update your account" info when I tried to copy them, so I assume they were still hot-linked somewhere. But I found if I created a folder on Photobucket, then moved the pics to it that it wouldn't let me copy and save, it changed the path and let me retrieve them from the new folder. Pain in the butt, but it worked.

I found that if I opened it, then did a "save as" into a folder on my computer it worked.

moodys6.jpg

Archived