SASS Wire Forum

Pedersoli Shotgun

Barry Sloe

As the title states, does anyone have experience with the Pedersoli shotguns?  I saw one of their hammered models and was impressed (shocked by the sticker, impressed with the SG).

Thanks for any input,

Barry Sloe

I shoot one and love it. Very well made action and nicely shaped and checkered stock that is easy to grip for both hands (foregrip is not checkered). Yes, pricey, but compared with other hammered doubles I have both shot and own, the Pedersoli is heads and shoulders above the rest. There are some easy mods you can do to make the rifle run a bit easier including: lighten the hammer springs, lighten the barrel release lever spring, and loosen the barrel hinge (so barrel swings open easily with light push on release lever). In my mind the Pedersoli shotgun is well worth the $$$.

RR

7 minutes ago, Roger Rapid said:

I shoot one and love it. Very well made action and nicely shaped and checkered stock that is easy to grip for both hands (foregrip is not checkered). Yes, pricey, but compared with other hammered doubles I have both shot and own, the Pedersoli is heads and shoulders above the rest. There are some easy mods you can do to make the rifle run a bit easier including: lighten the hammer springs, lighten the barrel release lever spring, and loosen the barrel hinge (so barrel swings open easily with light push on release lever). In my mind the Pedersoli shotgun is well worth the $$$.

RR

The only problem I would have with it is it's just too damn pretty to throw down on a table during a transition.  :)

From BS to BS. Buy the gun. Let the kids worry about paying it off with their inheritance.:)

Do love that new gun smell.

On 12/8/2017 at 5:07 PM, Barry Sloe said:

As the title states, does anyone have experience with the Pedersoli shotguns?  I saw one of their hammered models and was impressed (shocked by the sticker, impressed with the SG).

They look stunning 

Get one !

John Henry Quick - yup, I was getting a bit frustrated by the dings in the original stock. And, I wanted to shorten the stock 3/4" and put a curved buttplate on it (and inlay my initial in it)  - and didn't have the nerve to do it to the Pedersoli stock so I made a new stock and fore grip out of California black walnut, shorted the length and did the buttplate I wanted: Happy with the look and this very weekend was its inauguration at a CVR match. It now has a few dings so I no longer have to worry about that! ;)

Here'a s pic:

...RR

Pedersoli_shotgun_sm.jpg

2 minutes ago, Roger Rapid said:

so I made a new stock and fore grip out of California black walnut, shorted the length and did the buttplate I wanted: Happy with the look and this very weekend was its inauguration at a CVR match. It now has a few dings so I no longer have to worry about that! ;)

Here'a s pic:

...RR

Pedersoli_shotgun_sm.jpg

G r e a t  job - look nice !

9 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

John Henry Quick - yup, I was getting a bit frustrated by the dings in the original stock. And, I wanted to shorten the stock 3/4" and put a curved buttplate on it (and inlay my initial in it)  - and didn't have the nerve to do it to the Pedersoli stock so I made a new stock and fore grip out of California black walnut, shorted the length and did the buttplate I wanted: Happy with the look and this very weekend was its inauguration at a CVR match. It now has a few dings so I no longer have to worry about that! ;)

Here'a s pic:

...RR

Pedersoli_shotgun_sm.jpg

Brother, that's a level of skill WAY beyond mine.  :)

I want one mighty bad but would have to do it as a trade or else sell and buy.  BIG problem is that I remember wanting the (still un-fired) gun I would be trading just as bad as I want the Pedersoli!!!  The high side, as I see it, is that the Pedersoli would be a main match gun while my safe queen is a side match gun.

Would like to see more information on the shotgun here.  I had been somewhat of the opinion that the Pedersoli was very much match ready at the prices promoted, es or no?  Who all is marketing this shotgun, I had been led to believe it could be found at Cabellas but have had a couple of opportunities to check and did not find any at the 'brick & mortars'?          

12 hours ago, Roger Rapid said:

Here'a s pic:

...RR

Pedersoli_shotgun_sm.jpg

Wish they made that in 16 gauge. Nice.

3 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

I want one mighty bad but would have to do it as a trade or else sell and buy.  BIG problem is that I remember wanting the (still un-fired) gun I would be trading just as bad as I want the Pedersoli!!!  The high side, as I see it, is that the Pedersoli would be a main match gun while my safe queen is a side match gun.

Would like to see more information on the shotgun here.  I had been somewhat of the opinion that the Pedersoli was very much match ready at the prices promoted, es or no?  Who all is marketing this shotgun, I had been led to believe it could be found at Cabellas but have had a couple of opportunities to check and did not find any at the 'brick & mortars'?          

Taylors and Company has them listed under the Wyatt Earp shotgun. This is a coach gun.

They also have a Pedersoli Black Powder one listed with a 28 9/16 barrel that's about $500 less. But if you're looking for a fancy one, the Wyatt Earp model is that.

The one that I saw is the Doc Holliday model from Cimmaron.  Nice wood, in as new/unfired condition, comes up to the shoulder real nice, and under $1300. It would definitely need some of Johnny Meadows magic.

BS

CW: The Pedersoli coach gun ("Wyatt Earp" model) is certainly ready to shoot, but not ready for CAS without a bit of tickling Typically, the guns are pretty tight from Pedersoli. The break-open lever spring needs to be lightened (easy) and the break-open hinge is usually pretty tight; the action doesn't just fall open as one might like (easing it is a pretty straight forward, simple adjustment). Lastly, as I mentioned before, the hammer springs can use lightening. For specs go to the davide.pedersoli site.

BS: The "Wyatt Earp" shotgun at Taylors is the Pedersoli coach gun. I think the only Pedersoli "black powder" version you are referring to is a muzzle-loading percussion shotgun. 

RR

1 hour ago, Roger Rapid said:

CW: The Pedersoli coach gun ("Wyatt Earp" model) is certainly ready to shoot, but not ready for CAS without a bit of tickling Typically, the guns are pretty tight from Pedersoli. The break-open lever spring needs to be lightened (easy) and the break-open hinge is usually pretty tight; the action doesn't just fall open as one might like (easing it is a pretty straight forward, simple adjustment). Lastly, as I mentioned before, the hammer springs can use lightening. For specs go to the davide.pedersoli site.

BS: The "Wyatt Earp" shotgun at Taylors is the Pedersoli coach gun. I think the only Pedersoli "black powder" version you are referring to is a muzzle-loading percussion shotgun. 

RR

They look nice but like just about everything we buy for this game needs some tweaking. I looked at Cimarron and they sell (looks like it anyway) the Wyatt Earp re-named as the Doc Holiday and for $100 more money.

Taylors also sell hammered  Pedersoli shotguns made by CZ USA. It kind of makes you wonder if CZ doesn't also make the Wyatt and Doc shotguns too; but tagged Pedersoli  for marketing reasons.

I had a Pedersoli Sharps several years back and it was a great rifle for the bucks, so I have nothing at all against Pedersoli. A close friend of mine worked at a gun store. He said the few Pedersoli shotguns that came in then were invoiced from CZ USA. That was a few years ago, and pre Wyatt and Doc variants.

I just bounced off the Taylors and Cimmaron websites and it appears that the "Wyatt Earp" and "Doc Holliday" shotguns are identical (with exception for pricing), just different engraving.  I caught grief when I bought my Pedersoli "Billy Dixon" model a few years back.  Maybe she's over it and I can sneak this one in.

BS

I bought one about 8 years ago, in order to shoot in a specific category during an annual club shoot.  At the time I couldn't find another hammered shotgun for love nor money anywhere, so I sucked up the $1,600.00 (Cdn) sticker price. I polished the chambers with a Flexhone that I bought from Brownells and that was all I did. Yes, when breaking open the action it was very stiff. Beautiful firearm, I used it for 4-5 matches then changed categories. I sold it last month for $1,400.00 (Cdn)

I have a Pedrsoli "Wyatt Earp" with out the Earp designation on it.

Love it!

As DDD above mentioned above, it was initially stiff to open, but it became easier after a box or two of shells.

The issue I have with mine is that it only likes Winchester AA's 128's and 129's because of their brass bases.

Any other shell, using other than brass; i.e. Challenger, Super Target etc. will not shuck until they cool a bit and shrink. I had Gunco hone the chambers on it and my Chaparral '97 and still have problems getting the hulls out, until they cool.

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2017 at 1:38 AM, Charlie Whiskers said:

...makes you wonder if CZ doesn't also make the Wyatt and Doc shotguns too; but tagged Pedersoli  for marketing reasons.

I had a Pedersoli Sharps several years back and it was a great rifle for the bucks, so I have nothing at all against Pedersoli. A close friend of mine worked at a gun store. He said the few Pedersoli shotguns that came in then were invoiced from CZ USA. That was a few years ago, and pre Wyatt and Doc variants.

Made by CZ, but I was sent the following from Pedersoli six years ago:

The shotgun is completely disassembled, reworked for the critical features, like the lock mechanism,  we improve the barrels’ opening to ease the fast loading and unloading of the cartridge/shells. We lapp and  polish the chambers for a quick extraction of the shells.We make the checkered  larger hammers, the butt plates and some other minor parts. The blueing is made in Italy and most important the shotguns are proof tested at the National Proof House, like all our guns.

Barry, same boat here.  The new unfired gun I referenced earlier as a trade is the Cimmaron  'Billy Dixon' in 45-70.  I know this has been a safe queen for some time but checked Cimmaron and see that it is not even offered in 45-70 any longer??  My question is, what would the Pedersoli hammer double need to be fully match ready and would these mods require shipment to some distant smithy or is it a simple enuff to be performed by any local gun shop smith (perhaps at the local receivers shop)?         

On 12/9/2017 at 10:33 PM, Roger Rapid said:

Here'a s pic:

...RR

Pedersoli_shotgun_sm.jpg

I love the schnabel fore end

Mine is currently with Johnny Meadows being prepped for CAS action.  Almost too pretty to shoot.  Almost.  I'm looking forward to breaking it in.

BS

'bought 12 years ago I got my hands on a Pedersoli shotgun - 12 GA SxS - 'cept it ain't got "faaring pins" under its hammers.

It is a percussion muzzleloading shotgun, and very beautiful. And it has bagged a bunch of birds and turkeys. Also shot some trap and clays with, but all my pards fuss over how long it takes for me to reload <<GGGG>>.

Any way, I have seen, owned, and enjoy many Pedersoli, Uberti, and Pietta firearms. God Bless them, and may they all prosper for a long time.

4 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Barry, same boat here.  The new unfired gun I referenced earlier as a trade is the Cimmaron  'Billy Dixon' in 45-70.  I know this has been a safe queen for some time but checked Cimmaron and see that it is not even offered in 45-70 any longer??  My question is, what would the Pedersoli hammer double need to be fully match ready and would these mods require shipment to some distant smithy or is it a simple enuff to be performed by any local gun shop smith (perhaps at the local receivers shop)?       

SHELLS?

1 hour ago, Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326 said:

SHELLS?

Yes, this discussion is not about the Pedersoli muzzleloader shotgun (I have one of those), but the WYATT EARP shotgun.  I told my wife that I want the version without the all-caps WYATT EARP logo on the side for my birthday this year.

Archived