SASS Wire Forum

solar eclipse while in your car

Trigger Mike

Same as you would do if you were facing into the sun, don't look at it.  In an eclipse the sun does not get brighter, in fact the passing moon will reduce the available light.  Depending on where you are, it might be necessary to turn on your car lights.  It's not really  complicated,  just some people will have a tendency to look directly at it and experience eye damage just as in looking into the sun at any time.

Blackfoot

I found lots of stuff by Googling "eclipse driving caution".  Here is one web site.

http://knowledgecenter.averittexpress.com/2017-solar-eclipse-tips-for-safe-driving-and-supply-chain-impact

I'm wondering if or how much the eclipse will effect electronic devices.  Cell phones,  computers in cars, etc.  One thing I read was not to expect your headlights to automatically turn on.  

We were out yesterday and at most every major intersection on the highway were signs warning to expect delays during the eclipse.  

This will be one of the most dangerous side effects of the eclipse. All those idiots attempting to drive and watch/film the eclipse at the same time. Probably couldn't pull over if you wanted to as I am sure the shoulders of most roads will be clogged with cars.

Me I am staying off the roads till it is over. Don't want to become an eclipse related statistic because some fool couldn't keep their eyes on the road. B)

TM, just remember that the eclipse is nothing more than the moon getting in the way of the Sun shining down for a brief time dependent on where you are! With you being in Georgia, it looks like you will experience some temp drop and darker conditions than normal during the event!

The advice on distracted drivers provided by others is good to be aware of, no doubt there will be a knuckle head behind the wheel not keeping their eyes on the road!

Not that you asked, but.........I'm taking the wife fishing as I heard they will be biting :D

42 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

TM, just remember that the eclipse is nothing more than the moon getting in the way of the Sun shining down for a brief time dependent on where you are! With you being in Georgia, it looks like you will experience some temp drop and darker conditions than normal during the event!

The advice on distracted drivers provided by others is good to be aware of, no doubt there will be a knuckle head behind the wheel not keeping their eyes on the road!

Not that you asked, but.........I'm taking the wife fishing as I heard they will be biting :D

Where is my fishing Rod?????

What you using for bait, Captain??:D

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I plan to drive with my eclipse glasses just to be on the safe side. 

Even though viewers can wear special eclipse viewing glasses to watch the eclipse, drivers should not put them on while driving as they are too dark to safely drive.

http://knowledgecenter.averittexpress.com/2017-solar-eclipse-tips-for-safe-driving-and-supply-chain-impact

The glasses we got are too dark for any general use even in sunlight. 

Well duh that's why you can only put them on during the eclipse, when the sun's at it's brightest. 

Kinda peeves me that they even need to write that warning.  The only good that could come of it is that it might stop someone from using bad filters to look at the sun.  If they put them on and can see just fine to drive, they might remember that warning and realize they got ripped off.  But I think anyone with enough sense to put that together will figure it out one way or another. 

8 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Where is my fishing Rod?????

What you using for bait, Captain??:D

Glitter Power Bait for the bass and crappie....garlic chicken livers for the cats! ;)

The fish quake at the mere sight of Ocotillo Annie's fishing line:lol:

16 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I found lots of stuff by Googling "eclipse driving caution".  Here is one web site.

I'm wondering if or how much the eclipse will effect electronic devices.  Cell phones,  computers in cars, etc.  One thing I read was not to expect your headlights to automatically turn on.  

We were out yesterday and at most every major intersection on the highway were signs warning to expect delays during the eclipse.  

While eclipse is supposedly not visible here, I'm half-way expecting possible earth tremors or a minor quake.  At any rate, I think likely it will make my animals spooky.  I do not intend to drive during the eclipse's time window.

Archived