SASS Wire Forum

Sam Shepard Passes at Age 73

DocWard

Whether playing Chuck Yeager or Wild Bill Hickok, he was an amazing acting talent. His writing and directing abilities were top tier as well.

He will be missed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/theater/sam-shepard-dead.html

So sad. He was great at every endeavor.

In late 94 there was an auction of movie memorabilialia. The test pilot helmet worn by Mr. Shepard as Chuck Yeager, in this scene. I was surprised when my low bid won this helmet. It also had Mr. Shepard's name inside written with a ball point pen. Sorry to say several years ago I traded this helmet for other items for my collection. MT

Here's a clip with the helmet he wore.

On of my favorites was his role of FBI Agent Frank Coutelle in Thunderheart.  I didn't realize he was a playwright as well. He will be missed.

7 minutes ago, Clay Mosby said:

On of my favorites was his role of FBI Agent Frank Coutelle in Thunderheart.  I didn't realize he was a playwright as well. He will be missed.

For an actor's voice class in college, I, along with a partner, was required to do a dialogue from a play. We chose a scene from his play True West. The professor loved our choice and our performance. I can say I got an A on the project and the class in large part due to Sam Shepard.

"Got any of that ole Beemans? Lend me a stick will ya?  I'll pay ya back."

My first cousin and I have exchanged that line, back and forth, while fishing in Canada, times that are too numerous to count

25 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

"Got any of that ole Beemans? Lend me a stick will ya?  I'll pay ya back."

My first cousin and I have exchanged that line, back and forth, while fishing in Canada, times that are too numerous to count

I love that line. I pay more attention to his portrayal of Yeager in the movie than any of the rest of the storyline.

I will add that the movie took some liberties (not all that unusual) with the plot line about the NF-104 crash in the video above. A better brief account is here:

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/NF-104A_crash_site.htm

Shepard was a great talent!!  Better than may who received more acclaim.  He WILL be missed.

A TV movie from the nineties comes to mind.  Kind of a sci-fi fantasy western called Purgatory.  Sam was the star, with lots of other great talent.  If you haven't seen it you need to. 

Actor, writer, producer--everything he did, he did well.  He was a renaissance man. 

6 minutes ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

A TV movie from the nineties comes to mind.  Kind of a sci-fi fantasy western called Purgatory.  Sam was the star, with lots of other great talent.  If you haven't seen it you need to. 

Actor, writer, producer--everything he did, he did well.  He was a renaissance man. 

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

And in Blackthorn, as an aging Butch Cassidy...

That was one I somehow missed.

That just sucks!  True contributors to life keep leaving us. He stood for a role greater than his acting. Something that is rare today.

May he Rest In Peace!

Archived