Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 .45 Kicking Out Live Rounds - SUCCESS!!!


Pat Riot, SASS #13748

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cody Maverick, thanks for bringing up the .357 / .38 rifles. I was actually considering getting one of those as well at some point. 

 

Pat I have four R92s. Once you find the OAL they like they will run as flawlessly as any other rifle in our sport. All of mine like 125 gr LTCs with the OAL at 1.505 to 1.510. All 4 have been slicked up per NKJ's video except for thinning the extractor. I left the extractor alone for the extra pulling power on the off chance I have a split case. I run them as hard as I can and don't have issues with stove piping or pitching rounds out.

 

Someday I may get a 73 but every time I get the funds another big bore rifle starts calling my name. :o  Right now I am looking at a High Wall in 38-55 and / or converting a 30-30 Marlin to 38-55

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Nate, My reloads are between 1.548" - 1.554" in length. Max OAL SAAMI Std is 1.600" for reloads which puts my loads at .046" - .052" under Max OAL. I do know that rounds that are right at 1.60" do cause loading issues on my rifle. They seem to hang a bit as the Carrier  picks them up. HSM .45 Colt "Cowboy" loads are made right at 1.600" and they would "rub" a bit.

DO you think that I should load my rounds a tad longer to maybe 1.580" or so? If so I can relegate the loads that I have made up now to revolvers only and load some longer ones for the rifle. I think I decided on 1.550" length loads because a few different factory rounds I measured all came to about that, minus the HSM load, of course.

 

Interesting that Hornady Leverevolution rounds run 1.650". But they are a conical bullet with a rubbery tip so no issues, but then I do not fire those "rapid fire" either...well, as rapid as I can fire.

Make up 10 dummy rounds(mixed brass)at 1.580 and try'em.

OLG 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Make up 10 dummy rounds(mixed brass)at 1.580 and try'em.

OLG 

At first I thought you wrote "make up 10 rounds dummy..." :lol:

 

I was planning to. I was just wondering what NKJ thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

Pat I have four R92s. Once you find the OAL they like they will run as flawlessly as any other rifle in our sport. All of mine like 125 gr LTCs with the OAL at 1.505 to 1.510. All 4 have been slicked up per NKJ's video except for thinning the extractor. I left the extractor alone for the extra pulling power on the off chance I have a split case. I run them as hard as I can and don't have issues with stove piping or pitching rounds out.

 

Someday I may get a 73 but every time I get the funds another big bore rifle starts calling my name. :o  Right now I am looking at a High Wall in 38-55 and / or converting a 30-30 Marlin to 38-55

I find myself doing similar things. I have 2 hobbies going right now that absorb money. CAS and motorcycles. :D

 

I thought about converting my Marlin 30-30 to 38-55 but I already went through my 38-55 phase years ago. I also want a nice long range rifle, but honestly, I have no real use for one....I just want one. I also want another original Vaquero with a 7.5" barrel in .45 Colt.

 

Do you have a 92 in .45? If so what length does your like? When I first got this rifle I tried 1.600" round (factory loads). They would hang up a but. I chose 1.550" because of a lot of the research I did that was what many folks were loading with no issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

At first I thought you wrote "make up 10 rounds dummy..." :lol:

 

I was planning to. I was just wondering what NKJ thought.

I did-Changed it just before hit'n the submit key. :D

OLG

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I find myself doing similar things. I have 2 hobbies going right now that absorb money. CAS and motorcycles. :D

 

I thought about converting my Marlin 30-30 to 38-55 but I already went through my 38-55 phase years ago. I also want a nice long range rifle, but honestly, I have no real use for one....I just want one. I also want another original Vaquero with a 7.5" barrel in .45 Colt.

 

Do you have a 92 in .45? If so what length does your like? When I first got this rifle I tried 1.600" round (factory loads). They would hang up a but. I chose 1.550" because of a lot of the research I did that was what many folks were loading with no issues.

 

I only have 38/357 R92s. I shoot at least one Cody Dixon match every month, so I am shooting my big bore rifles and not letting them collect dust in the safe. :D

 

I used to ride Harley's a lot. It was my go to hobby for stress relief / therapy. ;) On average the wife and I rode 1000 miles a month and had a blast doing it.

 

However when we moved to TX it became obvious that over half of the people in cages were actively out to kill us. The odds of being in a bad wreck felt about 1000 times greater than when I lived in the high desert. Speed limits on the interstate are 70 to 80 MPH. Side roads including blacktops were 65 to 70. Trying to ride on the side roads at a leisurely pace required constant vigilance to ensure you didn't get run over from behind. Needless too say riding wasn't the stress relief outlet it had been.

I still rode to work most every day even though it was only a 9 mile ride of city highway mix. Experienced the typical idiots then one week I had two very close calls. First one was a Wednesday, the person looked right at me and pulled out even with me flashing my high beams at them. Had to drop onto a very narrow shoulder to avoid hitting them. Second was the following Friday, a person changed lanes on a 4 lane city street forcing me into oncoming traffic. The following Monday had yet another person pulled out in front of me. This time it caused me to test the adhesion limits of my tires while I swerved to avoid them.

Decided that God was trying to tell me something so I quit riding to work. A couple of months later, about the same time I discovered CAS, my wife watched a car pull out in front of a bike and send the rider flying. Poor guy had no where to go and was on the brakes hard when he hit the right front tire. He was wearing full leathers and a full face helmet and still suffered major head trauma. Wife had to watch the whole time as the accident shut down the road. She watch the paramedics work on the guy while they waited for the medevac chopper to arrive. Shook her up pretty bad. I never did hear if the fellow  came out of his coma. :(

Since that day we haven't ridden. Still have both our bikes and I really need to sell them but I miss riding and the relaxation that came with it. Maybe someday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's too bad Dave but I do understand regarding the bikes. I used to ride the Freeways every day years ago in SoCal. I don't think I have the nerve for that today. Riding here in Oregon is wonderful. Portland, not so much but everywhere else is great. You still have to be careful though. Knuckleheads are everywhere these days.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! Made my shim and installed it. Decided on .004". Gotta stop assembling for the evening. 

 

These grody little snips cut this for me perfectly after I drilled the 9/64" hole in the shim material.

1.5" long, .185" wide, hole .5" from the end. Fits perfectly behind the right guide! Wahoo!

 

Rossi 92 Shim .004 inch.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Nate. I will test her out this weekend. I am using an RNFP bullet. I did test a few different cartridges with different OALs but always with the same bullets. But when I did the mods to the gun that I learned from your video, thank you very much :D I definitely changed (for the better) the way the gun functions so I will test her before doing anything else. Thank you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Make one up for the left side-Just in case. ^_^

OLG

 

OLG,

 

Shimming the left side can cause feeding and timing  issues. The tab that controls the feeding of rounds from the magazine is part of the LH cartridge guide. Changing its position would effect the timing of the action.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

SD-I agree with you 110%. ;)

 But, I have had to do it a couple of times, to compensate for a rec'r 'cut' to the high side(grooves to deep)of specs.

Also-I won't mess with the left side unless you already have .015 in shims on the right side.

OLG

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat, I have 6 rifles in 45 Colt, including an 1860, 2 - 1873s, a Rossi 1892 & Marlin 1894 .  I shoot 160 RFN, 185 RFN, 200 RFN & 225TC bullets out of all of them.  I mostly shoot everything except the 225s smokeless.  They make PF for Wild Bunch to give an idea about the loads.  All rifles feed the 200s & 225s well if I keep the OAL between 1.575" & 1.578".  I have to keep them below 1.580" for ONE of the '73s, (mortise length).  The 6th rifle, an 1885, doesn't care about OAL!  :D  I only buy Winchester or Starlilne brass, but... will load whatever the brass pickers hand me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Griff said:

Pat, I have 6 rifles in 45 Colt, including an 1860, 2 - 1873s, a Rossi 1892 & Marlin 1894 .  I shoot 160 RFN, 185 RFN, 200 RFN & 225TC bullets out of all of them.  I mostly shoot everything except the 225s smokeless.  They make PF for Wild Bunch to give an idea about the loads.  All rifles feed the 200s & 225s well if I keep the OAL between 1.575" & 1.578".  I have to keep them below 1.580" for ONE of the '73s, (mortise length).  The 6th rifle, an 1885, doesn't care about OAL!  :D  I only buy Winchester or Starlilne brass, but... will load whatever the brass pickers hand me!

Thank you Griff. Good info. :D

 

I did find my notes where I tried some different OALs in this Rossi and I had a few minor issues at 1.580" and above. 1.575" was okay. I ended up with 1.550" as my load because of some things I read on other forums and oddly enough the 3 factory loads that I had at the tie were all around 1.550". I plan to test fire this rifle tomorrow or Sunday at the latest with the shim installed and see how the current loads work. I may just load a few 1.575" loads in the AM and try them too.

 

OLG, I didn't want to shim the left for the reasons Sedalia Dave mentioned. 

 

Hopefully tomorrow I will see this rifle fire flawlessly....well, work flawlessly anyway. For it to be "flawless" the operator has to do much better. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you Griff. Good info. :D

 

I did find my notes where I tried some different OALs in this Rossi and I had a few minor issues at 1.580" and above. 1.575" was okay. I ended up with 1.550" as my load because of some things I read on other forums and oddly enough the 3 factory loads that I had at the tie were all around 1.550". I plan to test fire this rifle tomorrow or Sunday at the latest with the shim installed and see how the current loads work. I may just load a few 1.575" loads in the AM and try them too.

 

OLG, I didn't want to shim the left for the reasons Sedalia Dave mentioned. 

 

Hopefully tomorrow I will see this rifle fire flawlessly....well, work flawlessly anyway. For it to be "flawless" the operator has to do much better. ;)

 

The cartridge stop spring makes the left one enough of a PITA without adding yet another piece to keep in place while trying to get the screw started. :wacko:

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CodyMaverick said:

 

The cartridge stop spring makes the left one enough of a PITA without adding yet another piece to keep in place while trying to get the screw started. :wacko:

Heck Yeah! You hit that one on the head. The first time I went to put that left side guide in there was a bit of cussin goin' on. :)

 

I swear...I can't spell or write worth a darn without my morning COFFEE...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

JMB must have loved puzzles-:lol:

PR-Did you test-cycle any live or dummy ammo after the shim install?

OLG

Not yet. Getting ready to reassemble. Got side tracked on a little "Honey - Do" list.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

SWMBO, is ALWAYS in command. :lol:

OLG

Oh no she isn't!...Well...maybe

 

Well, I got the rifle all back together. Tried some dummy rounds and all looks good. Tomorrow morning I am taking her to the woods and firing her. I would say "WAHOO" but that might jinx it. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

No. Nothing odd. I was surprised at how clean everything was. I was getting some blow back and the bolt face and the top of the carrier were sooty but everything else was pretty clean. So my dirty gun theory was unfounded. 

I did discover that White Lithium grease sux as a gun lube. It pretty much sux as a lube in general. I won't be using that again on the locking bars / lugs. It gets pasty after a month 

or two.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy a tube of Mobil 1 synthetic grease. A light coating works well, is compatible with smokeless, BP, and subs, and will not gum up like other lubes when exposed to powder residue and blowby.

 

Remember "a little dab will do ya"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Buy a tube of Mobil 1 synthetic grease. A light coating works well, is compatible with smokeless, BP, and subs, and will not gum up like other lubes when exposed to powder residue and blowby.

 

Remember "a little dab will do ya"

Thanks SD,

I do remember you telling me this at some other point so a couple of days ago I went to all 3 auto parts stores here in town, the Bi-Mart and the Ace Hdwe looking for some. Not one store had it. They do sell it but they were out. I really didn't think Ace would have it but it was my last option. For now the Rossi will have to do with Pro Shot "Zero Friction". I figure once I get some one tube should last the rest of my life. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

For gun lube-Look up details on Eezox. It doesn't hold dirt, and is one of the very best CLP's ever made, plus it's all synthetic .

PM me your load info(don't want you to get in trouble with the 'mods'^_^).

OLG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Took my Rossi out to the woods and did some shootin' with it. SUCCESS!!!

 

I ran a bunch of rounds through her with no issues whatsoever....other than I need some new sights but that can wait.

I did not try to do anything with the OAL. All loads were just as they were before - 1.550" plus or minus a couple thousanths.

Man it feels good to have it working the way it should. The .004" shim under the right cartridge guide was the ticket.

 

I think I might try some 1.575" loads soon but it's working fine with the loads I tried and nary a hiccup so why fool with something that ain't broke?

 

I would like to thank everyone for their help, especially OLG. You are a good Pard. Thank you.

Had he not brought up the case diameter issue it may have been a while before I figured that one out. I made some assumptions...duh....

Nate Kiowa Jones' recommendation on the feeler gauges was a very big plus too. He'll be hearing from me soon on his website to buy a few more items but especially new front and rear sights. I don't think the sights on this rifle are original. The front blade is wide and the rear is a flat top. Which is fine except that the dang thing, on the very lowest setting is hitting 6 - 8 inches high at 50 yards.

 

Boy it feels good to get this rifle going. Thanks everyone. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tha's good news Pat Riot glad it all worked ok for you.

 

Happy Shooting pilgrim!

 

 

JRJ

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Pards. Yeah, I know about the taller sight. I really don't care for the rear one either but if I got a slimmer front sight with a white bead I think the rear would be okay. I like buckhorn sights but the flat top helps with target acquisition. I do not like a front sight that fills the notch "window" on a firearm. I like a little daylight on the sides. ;)

Also, the elevator on the rear sight floats at the lowest setting. Almost as if the elevator doesn't go with the sight. It kind of bugs me that it's moving and scraping the bluing. Hmmm...I got me some shim material....nope, hot barrel, glue won't work.

 

Anyway, again, Thank you all for all the help. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is almost worth pinning - at least archive it. Gobs of good info on a '92 by some great cowboys !

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the current distances for SASS rifle targets all you need is a big brass bead up front. Get a good cheek weld and you will hit the target every time. Only time I use a rear site is for the very last two plates on the tombstone knockdown rack. ;) I turned my buckhorn rear site into a flattop and refiled the notch to work with the bigger bead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree on pinning this great info for 92's

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.