SASS Wire Forum

Thin cigars

I am currently watching the Mag 7 and see Yul Brynner smoking a thin cigar. I see John Wayne, Kevin Costner and Kurt Russell smoking what I think are the same "ring" size, under 39?  Called lancharos? Tried to educate myself on these but have not found them. Looking to enjoy them when shooting or dressed. Can anyone give me some ideas and sources for these elusive 6" thin cigars?  Thanks

14 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers, SASS# 25439 said:

I am currently watching the Mag 7 and see Yul Brynner smoking a thin cigar. I see John Wayne, Kevin Costner and Kurt Russell smoking what I think are the same "ring" size, under 39?  Called lancharos? Tried to educate myself on these but have not found them. Looking to enjoy them when shooting or dressed. Can anyone give me some ideas and sources for these elusive 6" thin cigars?  Thanks

They may be smoking cut-off Marsh Wheeling Deluxe cigars.  These have a dark or very dark (Maduro?) wrapper.  For cigars, I don't believe they're all that expensive.

As far as sizes go, I think a Panatela is usually around a 34 and a Petite Corona about a 38

Back in my Navy days, I always went for a Rum soaked Crook,

about a 36 in size but squared off and crooked.

I cant remember the brand name but the Exchange always had em & they were Cheap B)

"You Aint never really Lived till you've smoked a Two Hundred Dollar Cigar"

Thats what a former boss of mine said standing on the Beach one night

outside a 5 star restaurant after dinner as he handed me one.....

then lit it for me with a hundred dollar bill... True Story!

I hav'nt seen him in years, cuz he's in Prison now.... Also True !!!!

The cigar was'nt all that good either............. B)

1 hour ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

As far as sizes go, I think a Panatela is usually around a 34 and a Petite Corona about a 38

Back in my Navy days, I always went for a Rum soaked Crook,

about a 36 in size but squared off and crooked.

I cant remember the brand name but the Exchange always had em & they were Cheap B)

they were Wolf Brothers - no longer made

I said, "Marsh Wheeling Deluxe," above.  If you get those cigars, you'll likely be ahead of the game, taste-wise and cost-wise.  But you'll have to decide.

Having said THAT, I actually had to go look for the answer to this one.  So here's what I found:

--------------------

The best answer we found was in an excellent interview with Leone biographer Sir Christopher Frayling conducted by James Leavey in his “Sharing an Ashtray” series.  

Asked about the cigars, Frayling said “There’s a great debate as to what kind of cigars they were. The Italians claim that they were a cigar called Toscano, or Toscani in the plural, which are these rather evil southern Italian cigars of very closely packed tobacco, very dark. I had a go at them. Wow, they’re strong stuff. If you notice in the movies, Eastwood is constantly lighting his cheroot and it keeps going out, I think deliberately, ‘cos he didn’t want to actually smoke, he disliked smoking a lot. But Toscani do that as well, you keep trying to get them going and they keep going out. What people in Italy do is cut them in half with a pair of scissors or a razor blade, and then try and draw on them – and it works a bit better. Some people claim they were actually American cheroots, but I like the Italian version actually.” 

ALSO....... "Cheroot," defined:

"The cheroot is a cylindrical cigar with both ends clipped during manufacture. Since cheroots do not taper, they are inexpensive to roll mechanically, and their low cost makes them popular."

And, that translates directly to the Marsh Wheeling Deluxe.  It is not the best cigar I ever smoked, but it's better than a lot of them out there and it's diameter is a good fit for what Clint smoked in his role as The Man With No Name.  They're clipped off on both ends, and  you can cut them in half to get that "smoked-down" look you see in the movies.

Cat Brules

9 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

"You Aint never really Lived till you've smoked a Two Hundred Dollar Cigar"

Thats what a former boss of mine said standing on the Beach one night

outside a 5 star restaurant after dinner as he handed me one.....

then lit it for me with a hundred dollar bill... True Story!

I hav'nt seen him in years, cuz he's in Prison now.... Also True !!!!

The cigar was'nt all that good either............. B)

That's funny. :lol:

Back in 1970 my Dad made a similar statement at home one day. He said "You haven't made it as a man unless you've smoked a $50 cigar and lit it with a $100 bill." Then he proceeded to do so in front of all his buddies...He went to prison too. For floating bad checks to the tune of $10,000 that year. 

Here is a poster that shows sizes:

Cigar_Sizes_Shapes_Colours_High_Res.jpg

ANd here is the link to it:

http://www.cigaraffection.com/images/Cigar_Sizes_Shapes_Colours_High_Res.jpg

Here is where I got the poster and link:

https://www.theinternationalman.com/cigars-cigarettes-pipes.php

Howdy,

the Cohiba folks will sell you a metal box of small cigars.

Worth a try. 

Best

CR

maybe if you think of it let me know what you think of those...?

1 hour ago, Montana Greg said:

Howdy, several years age Marsh - Wheeling sold to another company. I loved them. Sadly, the new company has dropped the line. RIP. Montana Greg

My brother in Austin, still buys Marsh Wheeling Deluxe cigars from somewhere there in Texas.

Cat Brules

Hi Cat, I have a friend who owns a cigar store in Cedar Park, TX., and he told me all the old artifacts from the Marsh - Wheeling business had been sold off. There might still be some inventory cigars left out there. I did enjoy smoking them at the shoots, plus they were a part of history. Montana

Archived