SASS Wire Forum

Never Thought This Would Happen to ME

You know all those stories you hear about folks stumbling on a forgotten gun collection, and getting the pick of the litter????

And you always say to yourself, "If only that would happen to me?"

Well, it just did.

One of my partners is representing an estate, in which the decedent left behind a 50 gun collection and a garage full of reloading equipment and components.  I've arranged for a local dealer to pick up the guns (currently being held by the local PD, who responded to the 911 call by the deceased, and who are politely holding the guns until a dealer can be lined up) and to sell them for the estate on consignment. 

But I'm getting an advanced showing and an opportunity to purchase before they go on display; I've also got first dibs on the reloading gear.

Now, I'm just hoping that it's not a bunch of beat up old shotguns and rusty Saturday Night Specials....

LL

7 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Well, thanks, Dave......but, no, I am not accepting any applications to become my adopted son......:P

I'll post the inventory once it's provided.

LL

Darn. and here I had my hopes up. :lol::D

Just in case it would change your mind, I am mostly house broken. ;)

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Couldn't have happened to a better pard.

Absolutely agree.  {No I'm not looking to be adopted.}

I'm looking forward to what is there.

And I'll say it. It could've happened to a better pard. It could've happened to ME. :P Kidding! I hope you have some awesome things to choose from.

7 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

You know all those stories you hear about folks stumbling on a forgotten gun collection, and getting the pick of the litter????

And you always say to yourself, "If only that would happen to me?"

Well, it just did.

One of my partners is representing an estate, in which the decedent left behind a 50 gun collection and a garage full of reloading equipment and components.  I've arranged for a local dealer to pick up the guns (currently being held by the local PD, who responded to the 911 call by the deceased, and who are politely holding the guns until a dealer can be lined up) and to sell them for the estate on consignment. 

But I'm getting an advanced showing and an opportunity to purchase before they go on display; I've also got first dibs on the reloading gear.

Now, I'm just hoping that it's not a bunch of beat up old shotguns and rusty Saturday Night Specials....

LL

Hey... LaRue... folks like you deserve a break.  Take advantage of it.  If ya find somethin' you like... and need some money.  Holler at me... maybe you can help me out later on.

ts

Just now, Tennessee Stud said:

Hey... LaRue... folks like you deserve a break.  Take advantage of it.  If ya find somethin' you like... and need some money.  Holler at me... maybe you can help me out later on.

ts

Stud:

Thank you for your generous offer. 

I thank you all for your kind words, and for sharing my excitement.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

LL

Loophole Larue, I am envious and excited for you. I hope that you aren't disappointed.

The only 2 times I had an opportunity like this were due to the passing of acquaintances. The first time I had no interest in the guns offered. The second time I didn't really have the money to buy anything but I really had no interest in any of those guns either, except for one, The price they wanted was ludicrous so I passed on it. After I found out the history of the gun I wouldn't have taken it for free. Anyway, I will just leave it at that.

Please let us know what you find. :)

I received the Police Department inventory today - no models listed, just maker and caliber and serial number.  A bunch of .22 pistols (Brownings, mainly, with a couple Rugers); a bunch of Colts (mainly .45, and I assume largely semi-autos, including a Gold Cup; I'm hoping that there is a SA or two); a Deval Gammon; a ton of Sigs and S&W.  Not enough detail to tell models, and of course nothing re condition.  Two shotguns (a Mossberg and a Nobel).  A scattering of ARs and AKs - none of which are saleable in MA anymore).

The guns are going to the dealer this week for a full inventory and estate appraisal, with the caveat that I get my pick before they go up for sale.  Hope to see them next week.  I'm headed for the house on Wednesday to view the reloading equipment and components.

I'll try to get some pics when I see the guns.

LL

Well, here's the inventory......I realize that it's light on details, but if there is anything on it that jumps out as particularly rare or desirable, let me know, please.

Hope to see the guns next week.

LL

Wilson Estate.Firearm list (002).pdf

That Davel Gammon pistol might be a collectible. There is a lot of info on Google about them.

That Waltham 9mm must be very rare. None found anywhere I looked :wacko: ...cops! You'd think the guys / gals in the evidence room would at least have a little knowledge on these things...or maybe read and transcribe more accurately.

They don't exactly beat themselves up describing these items, do they?

Just from those descriptions it's hard to judge, but I think I would definitely look at the Gold Cup and that Davel Gammon if it's a .38 Super.

8 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Well, here's the inventory......I realize that it's light on details, but if there is anything on it that jumps out as particularly rare or desirable, let me know, please.

Hope to see the guns next week.

LL

Wilson Estate.Firearm list (002).pdf

The S&W .38s and Colt .38 Special could be interesting.  The Colt sn suggests it's a Detective Special made in the mid-70s.

I'm pretty sure the "Waltham" 9mm is a typo and is likely a Walthers. Worth looking at if it's a PPK or P38, but the SN suggests it's of recent manufacture such as PPS or PPQ.

I'm a fan of Remmie 1100s, one of the best all-around shotguns made, but nothing particularly collectible about them. Though I kinda doubt you're looking for SGs. :)

Keep us posted. Gotta love a treasure hunt!

I toured the house today, as well as a shed.

It's a residential hazardous waste site.  The smell of decay and garbage and mold and mildew is overwhelming. 

I was wearing a Tyvek suit and booties, as well as a respirator.  There is no way that a junk dealer is going to work in this house.

Trash piled to the ceiling.  Filth everywhere.   You can barely breathe.

Probably 20 long gun cases; dozens of handgun cases.  8-10 5 gallon buckets of used brass. 

An ultrasonic parts cleaner. 

Two P-W shotgun loaders.  A Dillon 1050 with full accessories.  A Dillon 550B.  4 or 5 other loaders that I could not identify (I was trying to move quickly to lower my chances of death by bacteria). 

Two Magma (?) automated bullet casters, on stands, with a tool chest full of molds.  A benchtop casting unit.  Lead ingots in heaps.  Boxes of cast bullets (primarily .452 230 g. flat points). 

A 2 HP Craftsman air compressor (for air pressure functions on casters?)

Two Harleys, both in need of work.  A Sportster and ?.

A box of assorted used pistol magazines - probably 50 or so.

10,000 Federal small pistol primers (those went home with me).

Boxes overflowing with Airsoft pistols and rifles.

Need to decide how to handle all this stuff.  It's a nightmare that would be a dream if it wasn't a deathtrap.

LL

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I'm pretty sure the "Waltham" 9mm is a typo and is likely a Walthers. Worth looking at if it's a PPK or P38, but the SN suggests it's of recent manufacture such as PPS or PPQ.

Yeah, I know. I was being sarcastic about the Waltham. :D

I noticed some of the entries for firearms stated they were not registered.  Can those be sold, transferred?  Some of the descriptions, i.e. S & W 45s could be interesting.  If you had the time, and breathable air, did you notice the types of brass or dies that were there, that might give you some idea of the firearms.

Tex:

I didn't linger over the brass.  My quick impression was that it was range brass that he collected.  Mix of .45 ACP, 9 mm, and others.  Looked like most of it was laying in the dirt for some time.

I tried to stop at the PD today to look at the guns, but ran out of time.  I'm going to let the dealer pick up the guns, and then look at them at the store before they go on sale.

I had the same question re "not registered".  We don't really register guns in MA, but we are required to report all sales (including private sales) to the State.  I assume "not registered" means that there is no record of sale to the now deceased owner.   According to the dealer, the "unregistered" guns will not be an issue, as long as they do not show up as having been involved in a theft; the State treats the sale through an FFL as a "scrub" if the former owner never reported the purchase.

The ARs and AKs are another issue.  They cannot be sold within MA.  The dealer will arrange an out-of-state sale to another dealer, and the estate will have to settle for a low wholesale price.  Thank you, Madam Attorney General.

LL

Archived