SASS Wire Forum

Powder/Primer Storage in Old Freezers&Fridges

Just be sure the door isn't latched or locked shut.

If there was a fire and the powder ignited there needs to be some way for the pressure to escape. Otherwise you have a large bomb.

Same applies to any storage cabinet, be it sheet metal or plate steel. Without a pressure relief they are a bomb waiting for the right conditions.

Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I use 5 gallon food storage buckets for mine. When my garage refrigerator finally goes I'll probably switch to your idea. More room and easily accessible

Should work great. I use 2 old refers (non working) to store paint, chemicals (glue, silicone, garden week killers etc) and other stuff I don't want to get frozen.

There are DOT guidelines for powder and primer storage. Usually copies are found in powder manufacturers reloaders guides that are available at LGS. . Recommendations are by the amount of powder you store. Residences may store up to 20 lbs in original containers. 20 to 50 lbs should be stored in a loosely constructed box made of 1in nominal thickness lumber.   I like your idea of an old fridge for temp and/or climate control, but have to warn you it is illegal in my understanding.   Good luck  GW

I've used an old fridge for powder and primer storage for years. Seen an old chest freezer with a dog door on one end, looked like a great way to reuse an old freezer.

OLD FRIGS WORK IF YOU DESIGN THEM CORRECTLY . I REMOVED ALL THE INERDS WIRED A 50A LIGHT IN THE FREEZER COMPARTMENT WITH THE CIRC FAN MOVING AIR A THERMOSTAT  MOUNTED ON THE SIDE OF THE MAIN CACE IT WAS SET AT 80DEG KEEP OUT ALL MOISTURE WORKED GREAT . IT DON'T TAKE MUCH TO REMOVE MOISTURE

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:49 AM, SOUTH-PACIFIC,SASS #59402 said:

OLD FRIGS WORK IF YOU DESIGN THEM CORRECTLY . I REMOVED ALL THE INERDS WIRED A 50A LIGHT IN THE FREEZER COMPARTMENT WITH THE CIRC FAN MOVING AIR A THERMOSTAT  MOUNTED ON THE SIDE OF THE MAIN CACE IT WAS SET AT 80DEG KEEP OUT ALL MOISTURE WORKED GREAT . IT DON'T TAKE MUCH TO REMOVE MOISTURE

This is how I store my welding rod at work.

Now by golly.

South-Pacific and Michigan Slim both just said what I figured to, but mine ain't original.

Hook Nose Theisen back home (poor old Hook come by that name honest, I could tell you some tales about the man!) -- I get side tracked easy, sorry -- old Hook stored his welding rods in just that manner.

If I was to tell you how old Hook decided to make an Acetylene Generator instead of buying tanks of Acetylene, and how his device launched itself through his shop roof and over the top and down through the porch roof of his house while old Hook was running away from looking at the pegged-out pressure gauge, it would side track this thread so I don't reckon I'll tell you any such tale, 'cause that would segue into how Deadeye Spergin got his name, and it's impolite to side track a thread, and Mama worked hard to beat some manners into -- hak-kaff!  Har-rumph!  I mean Mama worked hard to teach me good manners!

My retired cowboy/bull rider neighbor puts old refers to good use as smokers.  If they are not old enough he replaces the plastic innards with sheet metal.  For combustion air & exhaust draft he installs 2" pipes in the top and bottom of the door.  The piping consists of a couple of nipples screwed into a 90 degree elbow.  Seems like a Redneck idea except he never worked east of Colorado.  The Browns of Alaskan Bush People ought to try this.  It would hold-up better to the bears than a wooden one. 

Archived