SASS Wire Forum

Interesting?

Noz

A friend is playing with powder coated bullets. He brought me a handful of 357 125gr bullets to try.

I had just put the only unloaded 38 special cases I use in my 73 rifle in the wet tumbler so I can't load them and play.

BUT I do have 30 or so 357 cases that I have gleaned from my 38s on several shoots.  I primed them, charged them and loaded the powder coated bullets.

I have never before shot 357s thru my rifle.  She has had a steady diet of 38 special full cases of black since she came to live with me.  I've shot a few different bullet weights(with no problems) but only black and only 38 special.

The 357s loaded fine and chambered fine(I expected the fouling ring in the chamber problem but it did not happen)

Levered the rifle and it would not fire. Threw that one out and tried the next. Bang! Next, no fire, Bang, next no fire and so on thru the magazine full. It fired every other round.  Picked up the non fired rounds and reloaded them. It fired every other round. Picked up what was left and it fired every other round.  Loaded the remnant of indented but unfired rounds in a revolver and they all fired.

OK Rifle has gone wonky. I loaded it with my standard 38 specials and they all fired. Did it again, no problem.

What's going on?

It's no big thing because I will probably never fire 357s in it but I'm curious.

Combination of 2 things:

1. light hammer spring in conjunction with some primers that probably didn't FULLY seat in that .357 brass.

Taking care of the primer seating issue would probably negate the first issue.

..........Widder

I'm using some Pinnacle wit the powder coat and the bore was surprisingly clean.  Just some unburned particle visible.  Since this was just a function check I can only say the powder coated bullets from the 357 cases all hit the middle of a steel target at about 10 yards

I would buy the idea of the light hammer spring if the same cases in 1/10 of an inch shorter ie 38 special with the same primers (Federal seated by the same primer device), the same powder charge fire quite well and at speed.

Howdy Noz.

there is a slight possibility that the primer pockets of the .357 brass are tighter than the .38 brass primer pocket.

And even when primed with the same primer device, the primer could be seating flush and not fully, which is normally recessed below the rim just a hair.   Anyhow, it was just a guess, hoping it might help.

..........Widder

The 357 was mixed head stamp cases.  Some of them would not fire with multiple strikes but did fire in a revolver.  Primed with a handheld Lee Auto Prime.

No big deal. The gun will probably never see 357 length cases again.

Noz, I have been playing with powder coated bullets some time now and find that with all the "smokeless" powders I get cleaner bores after shooting but slightly lower muzzle velocities. By slightly lower, I mean about 10 fps generally.  I figure the slightly larger bullet diameter due to the powder coat is the cause. I have made my own using the shake and bake as well as the spray on methods. Latest color is a purple and a lime green.  Might be fun to figure out a way to apply the powder coat in a swirl pattern on the bullet..... Keep plugging.... let us know how this experiment goes

Even with the non-firing of every other 357, the powder coats work well in the 38 Special cases.  Well enough I am going to purchase the components my next trip to Harbor Freight.

I used the powder coat bullets for awhile with pyrodex rs. My guns were much cleaner after a match. I was buying from a local man but he went out of business. When I am able to start shooting again I'll definitely find another supplier.

13 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Noz, are you starting to flirt with that nasty smokeless stuff?  

Heavens no!   I keep some around for those that don't wish to be fumigated.

Agree with J-Bar. So, I'll take that 73 off your hands free of charge.B)

I'm onto youse guys. You don't really mean it do you?

Not me Noz, but just in case bring that rifle next Saturday at the shoot. I'll take a good look at it and as is the way you say, will still go ahead and take it off your hands fer nutten.:)

Archived