SASS Wire Forum

2017 Texas State Championship

Agarita Annie

Entries for the 2017 SASS Texas State Championship (April 6-9) are fast comin in...don't forget the deadline for getting your entry in is MARCH 22, 2017.

We have lots of fun stuff scheduled. Thursday we will have a Wild Bunch match (4 stages), Plainsman match (3 stages), Long Range competition, Blazing Saddles, Bolt Action Military match plus all the traditional Side Match competition.

Friday we start Main Match competition with 5 stages in the morning and a second flight in the afternoon. Main Match competition resumes on Saturday with another am/pm flight and the final 5 stages.

Friday night the Texican Rangers will be hosting dinner at the range and Saturday our banquet and award ceremony will be at the Gillespie Country Farm Bureau.

We end the 2017 Texas State match on Sunday with Cowboy Church and the ever popular and fun Master Gunfighter competition.

We hope to see all of you at the Stieler Ranch in April.

This is a great venue and great people hosting this match, really looking forward to it, Fredericksburg is a fantastic place to visit.

Smokin' Dave - I am no Plainsman expert but I have spoken with our two Plainsman match coordinators and I am told that your H&R Buffalo Classic in 45/70 is fine for the match.

I will remind you and anyone else shooting Plainsman that this is the SASS Texas State Match and that we will follow all SASS rules pertaining to Plainsman which can be found on Page 18 of the Shooter's Handbook:

"Must use a SASS-legal single-shot rifle firing a traditional blackpowder rifle or revolver caliber cartridge (e.g. not a .30-30). The rifle may have spring actuated ejectors if they are standard for that rifle. .38 Special is legal."

Can you please give rifle requirements for the plainsman match? I have a H&R Buffalo Classic in 45/70. Can I use that?

i

The "gamers" like the H&R Handi Rifle with ejectors. They usually have 2 classes, modern with ejectors, and traditional, no ejectors.

I'll probably shoot my Buffalo Classic as well.

Look forward to meeting you!

I thought I had heard of everything, but what is a "Blazin Saddles" match category? I hope it Does not have anything to do with "more beans Mr. Taggart?

It's a horse on rails, you ride it down the track shooting rifle & pistol.

You going to shoot Cody-Dixon?

Irish-Pat as Hoss said, Blazing Saddles is a barrel with a saddle that you ride down a set of rails....guaranteed to be more fun that you can believe. Generally rifle is shot at the start before the "horse" moves and it is either put into a scabbard or passed off to someone and then the horse is release and you shoot your pistols as you ride the rails!!!! We have even had folks shoot it with their 1911's-you laugh so hard your stomach hurts :D

Blazing Saddles is the most fun you can have on a fake horse with guns! Rumor has it that "more beans" will make the horse go faster!

Previous years, Plainsman had two categories: Modern (East Coast) and Traditional (West Coast) depending on if the rifle was with or without, respectively, ejectors. If there are enough participants, there will be both again this year.

No I just need to figure out how I am going to shoot WIld Bunch, BAM, Blazing Saddles and help run the Plainsmen match all in one day. Great to have these types of problems . . .

Looking forward to be back at the Steiler Ranch for another great match!

Blazing Saddles is the most fun you can have on a fake horse with guns! Rumor has it that "more beans" will make the horse go faster!

Previous years, Plainsman had two categories: Modern (East Coast) and Traditional (West Coast) depending on if the rifle was with or without, respectively, ejectors. If there are enough participants, there will be both again this year.

No I just need to figure out how I am going to shoot WIld Bunch, BAM, Blazing Saddles and help run the Plainsmen match all in one day. Great to have these types of problems . . .

Looking forward to be back at the Steiler Ranch for another great match!

Hey Doc- I can dust off my cloning machine and you can use it. Should be in pretty fair shape but I can get Rawhide to tweak it just a tad to make sure... :P

Fantastic range and great folks running the show. Add to that a big batch of brand new AR500 targets! Oh- and the town of Fredericksburg itself!

Gonna be great! :D

Thanks To Spurs, but I think for my personal safety I will need to pass. Worried about Rawhide working on anything that might involve electricity or flux capacitors!

But, it is a great range and one of my absolute favorite matches. Haven't made it up since last fall and I am missing the good folks at the Texican Rangers.

Doc... good to hear from you!

if all goes as planned, there will be a 1.5 to 2 hours break between the WB and plainsman.

it should be possible!

AD

2017 Texas State Championship

Comancheria Days

Asst Match Director

AD,

cant wait for the match! I'm hoping to shoot both WB and plainsman, but I also want to shoot side matches, especially long range. since LR takes longer will yall be offering sign up times, or just get it line? Will you offer BP and smokeless, or just "open"? I would rather shoot Plainsman & LR than WB, so if I have to make a choice I'll leave my bottom feeder at home!

I've been told for years I needed to make ya'lls match and this year I'm finally able. Eagerly anticipating it.

Possum

Well there goes the neighborhood!!

Where should I try to get a room?

Sunset inn in Fredericksburg. They have some rooms set aside (unless all taken) but you have to call hotel direct.

Where should I try to get a room?

I always stay at the Executive Inn in Comfort. Comfort is much closer to the range than Fredericksburg is. And Comfort has Guenther's my favorite place to eat real German food this side of Germany. The German food in Fredericksburg is on the "tourist"-y side

Looking forward for another fantastic shoot put on by the Texican Rangers.

See you all on the range.

Jackrabbit Joe & Sly Puppy

Sun City, Arizona

For the BAMM shooters, round count is 25. One 10-shot scenario and one 15-shot scenario. Targets vary in range from 55 to 140 yards. Keen your sights for numerous 16" targets in addition to big ones..

Most Plainsman matches I have shot have been 3 to 4 stages. 3 to 6 rifle, 10 pistol, 4+ sg per stage. Rifle targets 30 to 50 yds, pistol & sg targets same as main match. I've not shot at Texican Rangers so the above is strictly a guess.

Does anyone know the distance and round count for the plainsman match? This will be my first one.

Smokin Dave-per Mad Dog McCoy one of our Plainsman side match coordinators: "I haven't finished writing the stages but I would put it out that we will be shooting 3 stages and they will need at least 30 pistol, 20 rifle and a box of shotgun shells...that should cover any contingency!"

AD,

cant wait for the match! I'm hoping to shoot both WB and plainsman, but I also want to shoot side matches, especially long range. since LR takes longer will yall be offering sign up times, or just get it line? Will you offer BP and smokeless, or just "open"? I would rather shoot Plainsman & LR than WB, so if I have to make a choice I'll leave my bottom feeder at home!

Hoss-the sign-up sheet is something that Quintana-our Long Range "guru" always used and yes, you are correct, folks love it. I have passed your comments about continuing to use the sign-up sheet to our Long Range coordinators for the State match. The sheet allows you to get a "shoot" time thus allowing you to go and shoot other Side Matches until your Long Range time and also avoids the long lines at the Long Range stage.

Hoss-the sign-up sheet is something that Quintana-our Long Range "guru" always used and yes, you are correct, folks love it. I have passed your comments about continuing to use the sign-up sheet to our Long Range coordinators for the State match. The sheet allows you to get a "shoot" time thus allowing you to go and shoot other Side Matches until your Long Range time and also avoids the long lines at the Long Range stage.

Thanks Annie!

I'm planning on shooting with yall on Sunday February 12, get a look at those Cody-Dixon targets before Comancheria Days!

Update on the 2017 SASS Texas State Championship....we are almost at 200 registered shooters! Thanks to all who have already sent in your registration forms. We have to limit the shoot to 300 due to space issues at the banquet hall so if you have not yet gotten your registration forms filled out and mailed, better hurry as we are filling up fast. Don't forget the deadline for getting in your entry is March 22nd but at the rate we are getting forms I don't think we will make it that long.

We look forward to seeing all of you in the beautiful Texas Hill Country for what promises to be a fun time.

Archived