SASS Wire Forum

"I want to see the knife"

I have knives in my checked baggage, chef's knives, it often gets opened. TSA wants to assure that they won't poke through the sides of my suitcase. Thus my bags get opened a lot, before flying, after flying. Finally I got so many "we opened your bag" stickers, they stopped opening it. It appears that 7 is the decisive number.

In much of Europe and Asia, stuff gets scanned when you enter the airport as well as before going to the gates. They see my knives in my suitcase but it will be checked so nobody gets their panties in a bunch.

Yesterday at Pulkovo, the x-ray guy said "Open it, I want to see the knife." I was thinking "Drat" because my carry-on was inside my suitcase, nothing packed neatly. It's not Kbar or any kind of combat knife, it's an 8-inch chef's knife. When I gave it to him, he gave it an admiring inspection and not an "OMG, this can be deadly" So I remarked that it was good German steel.

Why do I carry it? I cook a lot and I'd prefer to have my own sharp knife.

I have knives in my checked baggage, chef's knives, it often gets opened. TSA wants to assure that they won't poke through the sides of my suitcase. Thus my bags get opened a lot, before flying, after flying. Finally I got so many "we opened your bag" stickers, they stopped opening it. It appears that 7 is the decisive number.

In much of Europe and Asia, stuff gets scanned when you enter the airport as well as before going to the gates. They see my knives in my suitcase but it will be checked so nobody gets their panties in a bunch.

Yesterday at Pulkovo, the x-ray guy said "Open it, I want to see the knife." I was thinking "Drat" because my carry-on was inside my suitcase, nothing packed neatly. It's not Kbar or any kind of combat knife, it's an 8-inch chef's knife. When I gave it to him, he gave it an admiring inspection and not an "OMG, this can be deadly" So I remarked that it was good German steel.

Why do I carry it? I cook a lot and I'd prefer to have my own sharp knife.

As a chef in my former life, I can relate. Never go anywhere and cook without a knife you can trust. When I go to my parents, and I will be asked to cook, I bring along quite a few tools that I know my parents don't have. There are some I have intentionally left behind so that I don't have to pack them again, but they always end up on a table at the next annual yard sale people in the country seem to love having.

This thread reminded me so much of this.

Jamie is trying to convince Ellen to accept him as a roommate. One of his arguments is he is a professional chef. And to prove his claim, he will make something delicious out of whatever she has in the kitchen.

los0006.png

As a chef in my former life, I can relate. Never go anywhere and cook without a knife you can trust. When I go to my parents, and I will be asked to cook, I bring along quite a few tools that I know my parents don't have. There are some I have intentionally left behind so that I don't have to pack them again, but they always end up on a table at the next annual yard sale people in the country seem to love having.

I learned that you can take apart a small pig (~100 pounds dressed) with an Opinel #8.

About 20 years ago my wife and my ex got together and bought a Kershaw Blade Trader for me. Great little kit. Not the best knives out there, but the version I have zips up into a case about 1.5 x 2.5 x 12. Fits in the back pocket. I'd say that they are a little better than Forschner.

Archived