SASS Wire Forum

SHOT Show Observations

Larsen,

thanks for the report on FJT. All of us sure wish him well.

Did Remington have any Marlin 1894's on display? The only ones I've seen lately have been the standard looking rifles in .44 Mag.

Just curious.

..........Widder

Only the round barrel .44 Mag. No octagon barrel CAS versions.

One thing I forgot. The WInchester representative said they may start installing the short strokes that are presently limited to the 73s sold by Navy arms into standard Winchester 73s as an option. He also said there was a possibility that at some point down the road they may offer the short stroke as a kit for those that presently have Winchester 73s.

Does 2 pounds of brass really cost $100 more than 2 pounds of steel?

With Uberti the '66 is about $100 LESS than the '73. Don't know about the cost of brass vs. steel, but I always thought it was because the brass was easier to machine than the steel.

Does 2 pounds of brass really cost $100 more than 2 pounds of steel?

No, gun bronze is generally cheaper than good gun steel (4140), but perceptions of a lower level of demand than for the Winchester/Miroku 73s, might be where the higher price for a new 66 comes from. Plus that engraving is not all that cheap to add (all the 66's will be the anniversary version this year).

As is true much of the time, listening to gun show reps or counter jockeys is not a good way to get to the truth of the matter. :lol:

Good luck, GJ

No, gun bronze is cheaper than good gun steel (4140), but having to rework the tooling to add the trigger safety, and perceptions of a lower level of demand than for the 73s, might be where the higher price for a new 66 comes from.

As is true much of the time, listening to gun show reps or counter jockeys is not a good way to get to the truth of the matter.

Good luck, GJ

And the fact that brass is easier to machine with no bluing or hardening needing to be done afterwards will save a dollar or two.

The price. It will be about $100.00 MORE than a similar 73. The increased price is attributed to the fact that brass costs more than steel.

This was what made me question the price difference. Not a knock on Larson at all and I appreciate him sharing his observations with us all.

Hey I just report what the guy told me. He was "in charge" of the 73 and 66 program. I'm sure a lot of the wire experts are more knowledgable than the factory rep.

Hey I just report what the guy told me. He was "in charge" of the 73 and 66 program. I'm sure a lot of the wire experts are more knowledgable than the factory rep.

No need to run down fellow wire pards.

But it's wise to watch for the bull when he starts charging,

No need to run down fellow wire pards.

But it's wise to watch for the bull when he starts charging,

Who ran down who? I thought "I'm sure a lot of the wire experts are more knowledgable than the factory rep" was a compliment. I go to the show and report what I am told and I'm the bad guy? I am definitely watching the bull.

So from your report, talking to the Winchester rep in charge of the 66 & 73 program, that there will be more "standard" M73's made? I am trying to get the scratch for a 24" M73 in .44-40 as I am under the impression that they aren't going to be made anymore, but is sounds like perhaps more M73's are going to be made? Thanks in advance for the reply.

Nimbles ( who may have more time than he thought, YeeHaw!)

So from your report, talking to the Winchester rep in charge of the 66 & 73 program, that there will be more "standard" M73's made? I am trying to get the scratch for a 24" M73 in .44-40 as I am under the impression that they aren't going to be made anymore, but is sounds like perhaps more M73's are going to be made? Thanks in advance for the reply.

Nimbles ( who may have more time than he thought, YeeHaw!)

They had several 73s on display in different configurations. So, they are and will be making more 73s. The issue is that there are two Miroku plants. One is quite small and that is where all the reproduction Winchesters are made. This includes the 73, 66, 92, 86 and the 85 single shot. The plant capacity is small so they have to allocate between the various models as to how many they will make each year. I didn't see any 73s for several months and have seen new ones at two gun shows the past three weeks. When and what configurations will be produced in the next few months they did not specify.

Maybe the steel receiver is cast, and the brass receiver is machined from solid bar stock?

Or they could be using a proprietary high grade brass alloy. Only Winchester knows.

Swiss

Pricing probably has little to do with the actual base metal cost or manufacturing differences. More likely it's a marketing calculation basted on volume and what they feel they can get for the product.

Years ago there was an industry story spread around about a copy machine company that's engineering department came up with some breakthrough technology that allowed them to build a machine that would produce copies 10x faster than the current model. And it was 1/4 the size ane cost half as much to make. They presented the new model to marketing and they were delighted. They just wanted one change. They wanted to slow it down to 5x speed of the existing product. Why? Because they knew they could sale one 5x faster at a high price. Then come back and introduce a new and improved model 10x faster at an even higher price.

Archived