SASS Wire Forum

Alternatives to Trail Boss Powder

John Ray Davis

In the four years, I've been reloading, I have only used Trail Boss powder to reload for .45LC pistols and rifles.

I have a pile of hens' teeth I'd trade for more, but it's not avaialble locally or online.

So, what other powder should I use? I'm currently midrange on the TB loads for .45LC 200 gr bullets and pleased with the performance.

Thanks.

I shoot Red Dot in .45 Colt with 200 gr. bullets. It doesn't fill the case as much as Trail Boss would, but I haven't noticed to to be a problem. I shoot the same load in revolvers and rifle.

There are lots of other options. I'm sure you'll get a long list of alternatives.

And then there's always black powder...

.45 Colt cowboy loads are real easy to build with

Red Dot (and Promo) (a good all-around choice for Cowboy)

700-X (my favorite now, since WST is hard to find)

Alliant E3

Clays and Clay Dot (another good all-around choice)

Green Dot

Winchester WST and WSH - which "bracket" TrailBoss speed, one faster and one slower

American Select (another good all-around choice)

TiteGroup (great for accuracy, sometimes loud, sharper recoil)

Bullseye (great for accuracy)

Solo 1000

Accurate #2

Winchester 231 and HP38

And Unique.

Would not go much slower on the powder burn rate than about WSH, myself.

Let us know what you CAN buy and we can get closer to a good recommendation.

Good luck, GJ

What about Hodgdon Universal?

In the four years, I've been reloading, I have only used Trail Boss powder to reload for .45LC pistols and rifles.

I have a pile of hens' teeth I'd trade for more, but it's not avaialble locally or online.

So, what other powder should I use? I'm currently midrange on the TB loads for .45LC 200 gr bullets and pleased with the performance.

Thanks.

The best replacement for Trailboss is more Trailboss. It is available on line and if you do your homework, you can replace your stock in a short amount of time. Your homework is to monitor 'gunbot.net'. I did and was able to replace my missing favorite powders of Trailboss and Titegroup. Monitor that web site in the mornings for best results.

I don't know about a replacement for Trail Boss but Tite-Group works great for me and my .44-40 loads. I'm sure the same would work for your .45's!

BTW I pm'd ya

Rye

What about Hodgdon Universal?

I use Universal Clays in my 9mm, .45 Auto and .44 Magnum loads and it works great. However, when I tried loading mouse-fart loads in .45 Colt, it left a lot of unburned particles. I decided to use it only for moderate to high pressure loads and leave the mouse farts for faster powders. Besides, I've gone over to .44 WCF with real gun powder. :P

MY next-door neighbor scored a bottle of TiteGroup and he made up some real nice mouse farts in .45 Colt with it. A wee bit sooty, but it easily wipes clean.

Titegroup or Clays.

...but I recommend that you consider going over to the dark side and use the Holy Black Powder; Goex Ffg, Schuetzen Ffg, or even that sub... 777.

The best replacement for Trailboss is more Trailboss. It is available on line and if you do your homework, you can replace your stock in a short amount of time. Your homework is to monitor 'gunbot.net'. I did and was able to replace my missing favorite powders of Trailboss and Titegroup. Monitor that web site in the mornings for best results.

I am curious, when did you see Trailboss on "gunbot.net" and who was selling it?

I regularly keep my eyes out for four powders, Trail Boss being one of them and gunbot is one of the sites I check almost daily but I haven't seen Trailboss available anywhere in at least two months.

I am curious, when did you see Trailboss on "gunbot.net" and who was selling it?

I regularly keep my eyes out for four powders, Trail Boss being one of them and gunbot is one of the sites I check almost daily but I haven't seen Trailboss available anywhere in at least two months.

Sorry to get off topic John. I bought 2 5lb jugs of TB 6 weeks ago from 3rd Generation. I bought 3 4lb jugs of Titegroup from Cabelas last week. All found by monitoring "gunbot". TB showed up again 3 weeks ago and I think it was from Selway Armory. It was sold out in about 9 hrs. I usually check gunbot at 6:30 AM and 9:00 AM PST. Good Luck....

I tried TB for awhile in .45 Colt and .38-40. The dealer sold the 9-oz bottles like it was a full pound and the fluffy epowder stuck to my Lee spoons.

I went back to Reddot. A full grain below the websitr loading data for cowboy .45 Coltmloads is a good place to start.

Sorry to get off topic John. I bought 2 5lb jugs of TB 6 weeks ago from 3rd Generation. I bought 3 4lb jugs of Titegroup from Cabelas last week. All found by monitoring "gunbot". TB showed up again 3 weeks ago and I think it was from Selway Armory. It was sold out in about 9 hrs. I usually check gunbot at 6:30 AM and 9:00 AM PST. Good Luck....

Sorry, I didn't think it was off topic to ask about the powder availability since the original poster made the comment about Trail Boss... "but it's not available locally or online" and perhaps he could learn of a source much like me.

Sounds like I'm not checking at the right time of day. I think I'll bookmark 3rd generation and monitor them directly.

Thanks

A small shop near me had Trail Boss in stock for about 3 months then mysteriously they are out again. I did stock up on some during that time.

I do have a pound of HP38 and 2 pounds 800-x just in case.

S. Floyd

Clays is a good "low velocity" pistol powder. Since it is hard to find Clay Dot is suppose to be a alternate for Clays. Use the vendor loading data to compare other powders with Trail Boss.

Archived