SASS Wire Forum

Blackhawks?

McCandless

Howdy,

I've been away from SASS for a bit, haven't been reading or keeping up. I have a pair of nicely tuned 3 screw blackhawks in the back of the safe. I heard that new rules are coming out regarding their use.

So, supposing I want to put my Old Army's down and shoot these blackhawks, what categories will they be legal in?

Duc

As I understand the current rules you may shoot Blackhawks in any age based category. You can not however shoot them in such categories as Sr Gunfighter. Please don't ask to explain the logic in this.

I shoot Blackhawks and have ever since I started shooting SASS some 12 0r 13 years ago. Always shot in my age category.

Enjoy

Ben Scalped

Blackhawks are legal in age based categories and there is no new legislation that would prevent their usage.

Aren't thet also ok in duelist until 2016?

That's only in SENIOR DUELIST.

They're allowed all "stand alone" AGE-based cats and "B" Western.

Aren't thet also ok in duelist until 2016?

SR Deulist.

They have never been legal for Duelist or GFer.

Use to be for Sr Duelist. But now that category must comply with normal Duelist rules.

They did give them until next year to comply with the new rule for those that was shooting

Sr Duelist and might need to replace there guns.

That will go for GFer also.

Dang. Palewolf beat me to it.

So, they'll be legal for senior but not senior duelist?

The determining factor of them being legal or illegal in a particular category is that the Blackhawks have adjustable sights

I know they have adjustable sights. Them big a** sights have never helped me at all. Being as slow as a mud puddle doesn't help any neither!

I'll use the blackhawks some time or other, til then I've got plenty of other toys to keep me warm.

Thank y'all for your kind and prompt answers.

Duc

I guess that I need to read the rules again. I thought that the whole fixed/adjustable sight thing had been done away.

Yep, time to re-read them rules. Last time I did, it contradicted what my posse marshall and two TG's from different states agreed upon at a State shoot. Yes, all three of them were wrong.

I guess that I need to read the rules again. I thought that the whole fixed/adjustable sight thing had been done away.

Yep, time to re-read them rules. Last time I did, it contradicted what my posse marshall and two TG's from different states agreed upon at a State shoot. Yes, all three of them were wrong.

That rule did not go away for Duelist or Gunfighter.

Howdy,

Sure seems like we should just be able to get out our favorite toys and shoot and have a good time.

Ive never understood the fixation on little tiny details makin this legal and that not.

Why cant I bring a Blackhawk and you bring a vaquero and the other guy bring a colt and just shoot

and have fun?

Why is mine illegal because its a few thousandths of an inch too small a hole?

Yet its OK to develop a whole new caliber, new case etc that was never before?

Cowboy 45 Special? Why not just shoot 38s and be done with it?

How about we shorten up dat rule book a whole bunch.

I guess we gotta have rules so confusing a Territorial Gov cant keep em straight.

Is somebody gittin PAID?

KISS.

Best

CR

Howdy,

Sure seems like we should just be able to get out our favorite toys and shoot and have a good time.

Ive never understood the fixation on little tiny details makin this legal and that not.

Why cant I bring a Blackhawk and you bring a vaquero and the other guy bring a colt and just shoot

and have fun?

Why is mine illegal because its a few thousandths of an inch too small a hole?

Yet its OK to develop a whole new caliber, new case etc that was never before?

Cowboy 45 Special? Why not just shoot 38s and be done with it?

How about we shorten up dat rule book a whole bunch.

I guess we gotta have rules so confusing a Territorial Gov cant keep em straight.

Is somebody gittin PAID?

KISS.

Best

CR

Got voted on a few years back to make them legal in Duelist and GFer.

But seems some thought they did not look cowboy enough :blink::wacko:

That was there ONLY reason to vote them down. :huh:

I think they should have made another run at voting them in before taking

the vote to vote them out of Sr shooting style category's.

Then all this would have just went away.

I cannot speak for the TGs. These are just my thoughts on why the vote went this way.

No matter how many new shooters we bring into the game we are all getting older and will advance up through the age brackets. If specialty categories are added for age brackets ie Senior GF, Elder Statesman Classic Cowboy or Forty Niner FC and you go by the age based rules first then by the style rules then adjustable sights can be used in a GF category. Many people feel this is not a big deal. If there should ever be a an age bracketed CC and you go by the age rules first then Marlins would be legal or an age bracketed FC again going by age category first then style category smokeless powder would be legal. This would be a little more intrusive, but I am sure people will say well it would be in the rules of what ever category to eliminate these missteps. Rather than rewrite every category for every age bracket added why not just go by the specialty/style category rules first for consistency and then age.

Yes this caused a hick up for Senior Duelists, but that was probably deemed better than having it come up every time a category was added. If some one shooting Senior Duelist can not afford fixed sighted guns to continue in Senior Duelist they still have the option of shooting duelist with their adjustable sighted guns in Senior.

With all the age based categories and BW allowing adjustable sights I see no problem keeping the specialty categories like CC, FC, Duelist, and GF a little more "pure" for lack of a better word. Between the age based categories and BW any propellant and any shooting style may be shot with adjustable sights.

This is probably more words than I have typed since I retired,

Smoke

Since I've started shooting DD and GF, I've just built up my front sights to make them easier to see like my Blackhawks. This rule has just spawned a whole new "cottage industry" with the introduction of Sure-hit sights.

Archived