SASS Wire Forum

My new CZ .17 HMR Varminter: scope options

Widder, SASS #59054

I got my retirement presents on Saturday.

a two-tone Springfield XD mod.2 in 9mm

and a CZ .17 HMR heavy barrel Varminter.

Now I'm faced with some options for the RIGHT scope.

My favorites sooooo far are both Nikon, either 3.5 x 14/40 or the 4.5 x 18/40.

Ifn any of you have any experience with this setup, feel free to share your knowledge and experience with me.

I like the thought of 18 power. I also am aware of every heart beat being produced on the crosshair before pressing the trigger. I would also like to clearly see turtle heads at 80-100 yrds.

Just what kinda accuracy can I expect from this CZ rifle and just what can I expect out of the .17 hmr?

Thanks

..........Widder

I have a .22 LR CZ Varmint with the heavy barrel. I have not shot it as yet so take

what you hear at face value. CZs are reported to be very accurate. Of course there

are exceptions. I put my Leupold scope 3 x 9 on it because I had no other home for it.

I took it off my deer rifle when I quit deer hunting.

I have not shot it because of the shortage of .22 LR ammunition. I do not know about

.17 HMR ammunition.

That is all I have got.

Have you considered a digital scope. It gives you both day and night operations, plus it will record your shot on an SD card. I'm thinking about one for a coyote rig for spring hunts. We try to thin the coyotes before fawns are born.

I have a CZ452 American glassed with a 6x24x50 Nikon. It is very accurate. I shoot steel silhouettes with it in the Unlimited

division. I also have a Cooper Custom Classic for the Squirrel Div., a New Model Ruger SS 22 mag. that I shoot in the 22 Mag Div. and a Browning T-bolt in .17 Cal. that i shoot in the .17 Cal. Div. I would stack my CZ against any of the fine bolt action rifles that I shoot. To tell you the truth, I enjoy shooting my CZ because it fits me better than most of the rifles I own. I hope this info will help you in some small way.

P.S. Please don't think I am bragging about my rifles. It took me years to acquire them.

Howdy,

I shoot .22s under a burris 4-12 and usually have it set at 10 for 100 yard plinking.

One .223 has a scope that goes 14x good to about 400 yards which I don't get to shoot enuf.

The redfield brand was bought by leupold and the redfield revenge line are interesting.

I bought a 2-7 with crossbow recticle and haven't shot it much but it is super clear

and great at 50 yards on a 10-22.

I regularly shoot bottle cap size targets at 50 yards.

I stopped bringing larger targets because other shooters were hitting my targets.

Make the targets smaller and they don't notice them to shoot. hahaha.

If you get a 18 remember it can be set so you don't see little movements like heartbeat.

A good friend with good eyesight mostly shoots at 4x or 6x.

He finds the small movements distracting says if you can see it you can shoot it.

Best

CR

A 10x will let you see turtle heads at 100 yards. The CZ HMR will let you hit the heads if you do your part.

I'm biased to Leupold scopes. They bought the Redfield name a few years ago and are now making a lower priced line of scopes with the same Leupold innards.

I'm taking delivery of my CZ455 Varmint .22 this week. Have a lot of brand testing to see what flavor it likes.

I put a Leupold Mark AR Mod1 4-12x40 with mil dot reticle.

Will try to get to RF&G to start sighting in March.

BMC - Will let you know when.....

Shadow Catcher

Leupold is my pic. 6-18 or 4.5-14 will work well. I have a 452 in 17 HMR and it will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards on a good day. The more magnification the better. FYI, the rings that come with the CZs seem to be pretty low and I had to buy a set of higher rings so I could remove the bolt.

Hey Widder, A good quality scope for sure. Yrs ago I was on a shooting team and won petty regular using a var. scope up to 10X only with 50mm obj. and it actually was the best power we found and most used up to 100yards. Knowing this now I'm sure it would take a turtles head off nicely as I shot groups 5shots with 5groups avg. each individual them the 5 groups always under 1inch. Hope this helps, and then of course just get out there and put a lot of rounds downrange. Good luck my friend.

...crosscut

Pards,

thanks for ALL the input.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the NIKON 4.5 x 14 x 40 with fine duplex or target dot.

I have a 3 x 9 x 40 NIKON on a .22 Savage and really like it.

I have had a 6 x 20 Leupold once and really liked it but for the money and for what I will be using it for, I'll probably get the 4.5x14 and save enough money to buy a bunch of .17 HMR ammo.

thanks again and ifn ya got any more suggestions or comments, please post em.

p.s. - Cast Bullet: I didn't get any rings with my CZ, although it was new and in the box. Looks like I'm gona have to get some rings for 11mm groove base on the receiver.

..........Widder

Look HARD at Vortex.

This is a great outfit to deal with--

http://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-rifle-scopes-viper-hs-t.aspx

Have one of these on my custom 10/22.

http://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-viper-hs-t-4-16x44-riflescope-with-vmr-1-reticle-mrad-vhs-4308.aspx

OLG

Warn makes a good set for a reasonable price.

Thanks. I'll check out my Brownell's, Sinclair, etc..... catalogs and see what I can find.

I haven't bought a scope yet.

Who knows.....I might have a dream about it and end up buying a high dollar Leupold or something.

I really like a DOT reticle alittle better than the DUPLEX. BUT, I also like the FINE DUPLEX.

..........Widder

I forgot to mention that all my scopes have a dot in them. If you can't find one simply send your Leupold scopes back to the mfg. and they will install a dot for around $50.

I also have the dot in my Nikons and Leupolds. I really like the dot----especially for shooting silhouettes.

17HMR....fantastic choice! Extremely accurate and fun to shoot. Be sure to keep that barrel clean. That ain't no outside lubed, 1100fps 22RF...... www.17hmrboreguide.com

As for a scope...Big fan of the Weaver V16 or V24.......Inexpensive and great optics.

Good luck with the new gun!

Thanks ROY.

I hope to post some pixs and results sometime during the spring and hopefully have some different ammo results also.

I hope to try CCI, Hornady, Winchester and Federal stuff in it.

I can do chrono test in my basement and accuracy stuff out on the farm.

..........Widder

Archived